• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To Charles of Zen-Ray (1 Viewer)

This is a general Chinese component problem right now. Someone needs to put as much effort into new lower profile eyecups as they do cool look open-bridge enclosures. Throwing away ER in the eyecup is not a good idea.

Exactly, and normally one of the advantages of a 7x bino is the ease of view due to long ER, too bad that Zen Ray misses out on that...

Penwolf, please accept my apology for being slow to respond. I have been trying to make a point to visit forum at least once a day. It's been fairly busy lately. I cannot complain about that at all. ;)

the 9x36 ED2 will be the same size as 7x36 (23oz, 5.8"x4.8"x1.9). The close focus is 5ft. We expect to release it in the 2nd half of this year.

I have to warn you that the monocular you ordered is just a promotional item. ;) The optical quality cannot even be measured against VISTA binoculars. It's an inexpensive, convenient gadget to carry one around. But in my honest opinion, it's nothing more than a gadget. For birding or any general use, I would recommend that VISTA be the starting point, especially with the refreshed 2010 models.

Thanks

Charles

Charles,

I was very happy to learn about the addition of a 9x36 ED2 to your line up, but probably not as ecstatic as Tero, who I'm sure had to wipe the drool off his keyboard after reading the news since he's been wanting a pair of good quality 9x36 binoculars ever since I've been reading this forum.

I might have missed this announcement on another ZR thread, but could you please state the TFOV of the 9x36?

It would need to have a 7* TFOV to match the 63* AFOV of the 7x36. That's a tall order, but Nikon's 10x35 E2 has a 7* FOV and very good edges for a WF 10x bin. However, I would prefer the 4mm exit pupil of a 9x36, and 9x will be a little easier to hold steady, particularly with the ED2's excellent open bridge design.

I like watching hawks, buzzards, and other birds in flight, and the 7x36 ED2 gives an excellent view (I spotted 21 hawks a couple weeks ago flying over the same area, first time I've seen that). However, if the birds are fairly high or at a long distance, that extra 2x would help with the ID and give a more satisfying view, provided I can hold the bin steady.

Generally, I prefer a bit more weight with higher power bins (~ 26-28 oz) to help dampen vibrations. But, if necessary, I will put wrap them in a saddle mount on a monopod or ask Ilkka to send me a frozen finnstick. :)

Exciting news!

To All,
Just to let you know.

I appreciate how kind Charles has been to me. I did as he suggested and did a "Return to Sender". He has been the fastest to respond to me about a return than any other business, ever. If this is any indication of his customer relations then he has won me over.

I look forward to doing much business with Charles and Zen-Ray in the future.

Once again I truly appreciate his quick response and kindness.

Norman (Penwolf)

I might have missed this announcement on another ZR thread, but could you please state the TFOV of the 9x36?

It would need to have a 7* TFOV to match the 63* AFOV of the 7x36. That's a tall order, but Nikon's 10x35 E2 has a 7* FOV and very good edges for a WF 10x bin. However, I would prefer the 4mm exit pupil of a 9x36, and 9x will be a little easier to hold steady, particularly with the ED2's excellent open bridge design.

Brock, yes, it will have 7 degree TFOV.

spitfiretriple said:
That might sometimes be appropriate - the rest of us aren't interested in, for example, shipping problems affecting one particular order. Such conversations are best kept off-forum

Spitfiretriple, I agree with you. The public forum is not the place for business to handle customer service, which may very well run the risk of violating the rule and spirit of the forum. If there is any concern or question with a particular order, please email us [email protected] so we can take care of it in a speedy manner.

Sancho said:
Now, if Charles wants to produce, just for me, a 15x56 ED binocular, I´ll jump at it. (Charles, this is a joke...I´d like one, but I don´t think anyone else on the planet would be interested).

Sancho, I counted three pairs of 15x56 ED so far, including two from Steve's (SteveC and moreorless). I will quote you how much it will be for your special order by spreading the development and production cost over those three pairs. ;) Ok, joking aside, we are constantly working on new product development. But we only work on one or two products at any given time so we can stay focused and pay 100% attention on those new products. 15x56 might one day appear on our product roadmap..

Charles

"Sancho, I counted three pairs of 15x56 ED so far, including two from Steve's (SteveC and moreorless). I will quote you how much it will be for your special order by spreading the development and production cost over those three pairs."

Oh Boy I couldn't wait to see the price tag on that one Charles.;) Send the bill to Sancho he started this.;)
Regards,Steve

Sancho, I counted three pairs of 15x56 ED so far, including two from Steve's (SteveC and moreorless). I will quote you how much it will be for your special order by spreading the development and production cost over those three pairs. ;) Ok, joking aside, we are constantly working on new product development. But we only work on one or two products at any given time so we can stay focused and pay 100% attention on those new products. 15x56 might one day appear on our product roadmap..

Charles

LOL! I don´t know why I want a 15x56, I´ve never actually seen one. Don´t worry, I´m not holding my breath and it isn´t a matter of life and death!:t:

Oh Boy I couldn't wait to see the price tag on that one Charles.;) Send the bill to Sancho he started this.;)
Regards,Steve

Even the most expensive Alpha will look like a bargain... I can at least hold the bragging right of producing the most expensive civilian binoculars.:t:

Charles

Seeing as this thread has become the 'Ask Charles' thread, can I chime in, please? Zen Rays get such fantastic reviews on BF and you are based in Portland, Oregon. I live in UK but my sister lives in Portland. I visit her from time to time. Is there a shop in Portland where one can try these fantastic bins?

Seeing as this thread has become the 'Ask Charles' thread, can I chime in, please? Zen Rays get such fantastic reviews on BF and you are based in Portland, Oregon. I live in UK but my sister lives in Portland. I visit her from time to time. Is there a shop in Portland where one can try these fantastic bins?

Joannec,

You can visit Portland Audubon Society Nature Store while in Portland. Audubon maintains 150 acres of Sanctuary next to its facility. Its nature store has a wide varieties of optics (including Zen-Ray) and birding books. Or you can also visit Advance Camera in Beaverton.

Or you can make an appointment to visit our Beaverton office while you are in town, which is only 10 miles west of downtown Portland.

Joannec,

You can visit Portland Audubon Society Nature Store while in Portland. Audubon maintains 150 acres of Sanctuary next to its facility. Its nature store has a wide varieties of optics (including Zen-Ray) and birding books. Or you can also visit Advance Camera in Beaverton.

Or you can make an appointment to visit our Beaverton office while you are in town, which is only 10 miles west of downtown Portland.

Thank you Charles

I didn't see any Zen Ray bins in the display case at the PDX Audubon a few weeks ago. The guy behind the counter thinks they were sold out.

I might get the 9x36. Depends on funds.

But I have now sort of gotten to a routine, I know when I want 8x and when 10x. So the 9x would not always be what I want, as I have three 10x pairs left.

mmx_4, thanks for the suggestion. We will study this carefully. In the meantime, we have several new products that are coming out soon. stay tuned. :)

It's official! We will have 9x36 ZEN ED2 available by August 30th. Now we are taking pre-orders as the quantities are limited. Along with 9x36 ED2 introduction, we also expands the ZRS HD product family to two 42mm monoculars (8x42 and 10x42). Both of them features dielectric prism coating and helix focuser. They are also available for pre-order for August 30th delivery.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/monoculars.html

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zened2-9x36.html

Thanks

Charles

I would actually be tempted by the 8x42 monocular. I am curious as to why you went the ZRS HD route instead of the ED2 route with that type of instrument. Cost maybe?

I would actually be tempted by the 8x42 monocular. I am curious as to why you went the ZRS HD route instead of the ED2 route with that type of instrument. Cost maybe?

We have done some extensive blind A-B test. The CA improvement with ED glass for short focal length system, like ZRS Mono is not as significant as the longer focal length system (ZEN ED2). That's why we keep it in ZRS HD class to deliver the best value for the $$. BTW, to make the temptation even worse for you, :) we now offer BF members $20 off for monoculars (coupon code:monocular).

Charles
Some time back there was some talk on the forum about a high quality Zen Ray Porro.
Is this something that is still a possibility?
Regards
Paul.

We have done some extensive blind A-B test. The CA improvement with ED glass for short focal length system, like ZRS Mono is not as significant as the longer focal length system (ZEN ED2). That's why we keep it in ZRS HD class to deliver the best value for the $$. BTW, to make the temptation even worse for you, :) we now offer BF members $20 off for monoculars (coupon code:monocular).

Great Charles. You love to tease, don't you?

;)

It's official! We will have 9x36 ZEN ED2 available by August 30th. Now we are taking pre-orders as the quantities are limited. Along with 9x36 ED2 introduction, we also expands the ZRS HD product family to two 42mm monoculars (8x42 and 10x42). Both of them features dielectric prism coating and helix focuser. They are also available for pre-order for August 30th delivery.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/monoculars.html

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zened2-9x36.html

Thanks

Charles

Hi Charles,

Good news about the 9x36. Do they have the baffling against "flaring glare" like the second gen 7x36 ED2?

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back