• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To Charles of Zen-Ray (2 Viewers)

wish :

7x43 ED2

FOV: ~~ as in 8x43, ~~ 140-145 m /1000 m, more is better (as Nikon edg 7x42)
ER : 21-22 mm (as Nikon edg 7x42)

Hi Charles,

Good news about the 9x36. Do they have the baffling against "flaring glare" like the second gen 7x36 ED2?

Brock
Hi, Brock,

Yes, all the refinements on the 7x36 ED2 are applied to 9x36 ED2 too, including the glare fix and new baffles.

Thanks

Charles

Hi, Brock,

Yes, all the refinements on the 7x36 ED2 are applied to 9x36 ED2 too, including the glare fix and new baffles.

Thanks

Charles

I figured they would be but since they weren't mentioned in the list of features, I wanted to confirm that. Thanks!

Brock

Very nice specs. 370ft is good, as long as the sweet spot is wide. At 9x, the apparent field of view will be good.

Very nice specs. 370ft is good, as long as the sweet spot is wide. At 9x, the apparent field of view will be good.

Hi Tero,

I think 7* fov at 9x mag will be excellent. I have had 8* 8x bins and they are too tunnel vision for me but, as you say, the afov of these should be good.

I used to have Opticron Elite 9x35 porros about 25 years ago. I don't know what the fov was but they certainly weren't tunnel-like. I tihnk 9x35/36 is a very interesting configuration. It's good to see it available again.

A good quality 7 x 28 CF roof prism. Not necessarily an alpha. Just good. About a 7 degree FOV.

There are some IF Military ones out there but no one makes a CF AFAIK. Pentax has a 1/2 decent 9 x 28. It weighs about 14 ounces, but at 9x it is not as useful an all purpose small birding or travel binocular as a 7x would be. It needs a wider FOV.

Bob

Last edited:
What's BF members' take on this one? I mean, between 28mm and 32mm, which one do you prefer? |=)|

I would prefer 32mm if you can make the outside dimensions small. Vortex has tried to make some 28mm models. Only the Viper seems a success, but even it has a small fov. Look at the Bushnell 8x28, it has some promise as a starting point.

I like 28mm over 25mm, mostly as I cannot stand double hinged pocket binos.

I would prefer 32mm if you can make the outside dimensions small. Vortex has tried to make some 28mm models. Only the Viper seems a success, but even it has a small fov. Look at the Bushnell 8x28, it has some promise as a starting point.

I like 28mm over 25mm, mostly as I cannot stand double hinged pocket binos.

I agree with Tero on double hinges. Make sure it is a single hinge whatever the objective diameter.
Bob

I agree with Tero on double hinges. Make sure it is a single hinge whatever the objective diameter.
Bob

Bob/Tero, although we don't have any double hinge models, it seems to make sense to have double hinge for small objective binoculars (<25mm), for the sake of compactness. What's the issue with double hinge?

I'd be interested in a 7x28/30/32 small bin for when I'm travelling light. 7* fov or above as the guys are discussing above. I also don't like double hinges. They feel too small and fiddly to get comfortable in the hands. With good e/r for glasses too.

Reverse porros are good I think. I like Opticron Taiga 8x25s so a 7x28+ of the same optical quality and waterproof would be great.

Last edited:
Bob/Tero, although we don't have any double hinge models, it seems to make sense to have double hinge for small objective binoculars (<25mm), for the sake of compactness. What's the issue with double hinge?

My problem is that when I use them it takes longer to find my correct IPD. That's mainly why I prefer my 8 x 20 Conquest over my 8 x 20 Trinovid.
Bob

Ditto on the double hinge issue. I prefer single hinge...either Zeiss copact style or something along of the lines of the reverse porro style. Maybe my bias stems from bad experiences with cheap, double hinged roof compacts. I honestly don't know but I do know that I prefer the single hinge more often than not.

Tero is right. The Bushnell 8x28 is a dandy, just heavy. I dropped mine and bent the eyepiece. Bushnell repaired it but it has never been the same (IMO). Like the collimation got out of whack. Just not as sharp.....

Dave

My problem is that when I use them it takes longer to find my correct IPD. That's mainly why I prefer my 8 x 20 Conquest over my 8 x 20 Trinovid.
Bob

I thought the 8x20 Conquest and the 8x20 Trinovid have double hinges????

That's one reason I like the 8x20 Victory. Besides it being BRILLIANT.

I thought the 8x20 Conquest and the 8x20 Trinovid have double hinges????

That's one reason I like the 8x20 Victory. Besides it being BRILLIANT.

You are right. I always seem to get the names of the Victorys and Conquests confused.:h?:

Bob

Having had a double hinge 9x25 Legend for 9 years, I really prefer single hinge. The only advantages to a double is that they store smaller and accomodate smaller IPD's. They are much harder to bring to focus from the collapsed position, the hinge tension is never the same for both hinges, so they look like the Millenium Falcon on a shallow turn unless you fiddle with them. Also I would suspect collimination could be a greater issue with two moveable attachment points as opposed to one.

If you could put the ZRD HD quality and price into the following package sizes, I would buy one of each.

8x32 - same as Minox BDBR

7x28 or 8x28 - same as Vortex Fury

Tom

Would love to have a Optics shop stocking Zen ray bins to try out near me in the Uk.

Seem like a winner and could be a huge seller here me thinks.

cheers
karpman

Having had a double hinge 9x25 Legend for 9 years, I really prefer single hinge. The only advantages to a double is that they store smaller and accomodate smaller IPD's. They are much harder to bring to focus from the collapsed position, the hinge tension is never the same for both hinges, so they look like the Millenium Falcon on a shallow turn unless you fiddle with them. Also I would suspect collimination could be a greater issue with two moveable attachment points as opposed to one.

I don't like (and don't understand) the double hinge at all. Try to avoid it at all cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back