Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

South Florida Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 10th July 2011, 03:47   #51
Cervus

Where in Carlin Park?
Old Monday 11th July 2011, 17:39   #52
merryslug

Agreed!
Old Monday 11th July 2011, 17:40   #53
merryslug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Where in Carlin Park?
South of the tennis courts is a small scrub area (right off the walking trail).
Old Saturday 16th July 2011, 22:41   #54
Sydsmythe

Went to Okeeheelee today. Out on the trail I heard a loud wee--eep wee--eep.
My first Great Crested Flycatcher. He was hard to find but didn't really seem afraid of me. He was in a pretty dense thicket and I had to break a lot of twigs to get near him. Was still too well-hidden for a good photo. However he called for like 20 minutes and had an altercation with a blue jay.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2011, 03:04   #55
Sydsmythe

Today was Gothic Bird Day at work.
At least 40 Black Vultures, 10 crows (not sure which) , a gazillion grackles in the relatively small back parking lot at work. Most of the vultures were walking around in a large puddle. I spent my morning break with them.
On the other side of the lot up in the trees was the dailyl swarm of ibis.
And flaring his tail in his usual threatening dance was one of our resident peacocks.
And his hen, looking around not knowing what to make of it.
The peafowl ate half my salad- arugula, cheddar cheese and cherry tomatoes. They loved those tomatoes!

Last edited by Sydsmythe : Tuesday 19th July 2011 at 03:07.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2011, 12:19   #56
merryslug

That sounds like a salad that's too good to share - even with peafowl :)
Old Monday 25th July 2011, 13:40   #57
merryslug

AD Barnes on Friday - besides the usual (Cardinals, Blue Jays, etc...) lots of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, especially in the parking area in the SE corner. Also several very relaxed raccoons draped over tree branches :). And a couple of White-crowned Pigeons.

There were other birds heard but not seen, and I swear I saw one very yellow-breasted warbler before it disappeared. I don't know if it was a Yellow-throated, Prairie, or my wishful thinking.

Everglades NP Sunday: plenty of Pine Warblers in the Pine Land
Old Monday 25th July 2011, 20:59   #58
csanchez7

Merry,

I am glad you are coming down here to explore more and glad you found some good birds. White-crowned Pigeon is not a guaranteed bird at A.D. Barnes Park. I had a Prairie Warbler there just a few days ago, so they are starting to come through. That said, Yellow-throated Warbler is also an early migrant so it could be either bird. Keep an eye out for Louisiana Waterthrush. They should be passing through the forested parks in urban/suburban South Florida from early July through September.

Carlos
Old Monday 25th July 2011, 21:25   #59
merryslug

Thanks Carlos, you've inspired me to go farther afield :)
Old Tuesday 26th July 2011, 01:26   #60
Sydsmythe

I've been observing a pair of RSHs at High Ridge Scrub in Boynton. I assume they're mated because they are not trying to kill each other. They give each other shorter, softer calls than the usual and stay in a relatively small area. Now I just have to form some paths to where they hang out and hopefully get some photos. There's a little too much love from the love vine out there right now!
Old Thursday 28th July 2011, 15:23   #61
Zackiedawg

There is a decent chance you did see a yellow-throated warbler, Merry. I do believe I've heard the first songs of my resident Y-TW in my front yard - he usually appears in mid-August through October or so, going to war with my car mirrors every day...I haven't laid eyes on him yet, but I swear I heard him the past couple of days, and am keeping my eyes peeled for him. This weekend, I'll wash my car, and that will surely draw him out to poop on it if he's in town.

Zackiedawg's Photography Gallery
Old Sunday 7th August 2011, 02:22   #62
Sydsmythe

There's a little colony of Gray Kingbirds just north of CityPlace (questionable meighborhood, at least 2 abandoned buildings). So sweet! So one of them finally sits in the right spot and starts singing his heart out. I start to video. Some guy asks me what I'm photographing. Then he says he's an avid birder. Then he says, "Can I ask you a question? I'm not going to buy any drugs with the money but do you have 35 cents?"
So there goes that video. I wanted so badly to record that adorable call.
Old Monday 22nd August 2011, 02:53   #63
Zackiedawg

BTW - just to follow up my earlier post - I've confirmed definitively that my yellow-throated warbler is back in town. I finally laid eyes on him to confirm it was him I was hearing, yesterday while in my pool - I didn't have my camera handy since I was swimming, but he sat right up on my lightpost and chirped away.

Old Monday 29th August 2011, 13:26   #64
merryslug

Tried Viera Wetlands yesterday - all the usual waders. The only stand-outs were Black-bellied Whistling Ducks (some comically sitting on the top of tall dead palm trees out in the water), a Least Bittern (completely back-lit by the sun so un-photographable), and 3 deer. Didn't see any songbirds, but then there aren't a lot of perching trees for them out there.

They had the drive blocked off to all but foot traffic - not sure why. There was a sign posted about it being alligator nesting season, and that the gators were particularly testy right now. I don't know why that would translate into putting us out there on foot where we couldn't outrun them....???
Old Monday 29th August 2011, 15:45   #65
Zackiedawg

Interesting that they'd close off the road. Unless maybe a gator put its nest too close to the road?

I was at Green Cay and Wako yesterday. Wako was fairly quiet - but two red-shouldered hawks I think might have a nest there - but I honestly have no idea what their nesting season is. I just happened to notice that the hawks were springing out from the same area of trees and chasing literally EVERY bird that came within 50 feet of them - anhingas, egrets, ducks, anything. They seemed to be very angry or protective, which makes me wonder if they might be nesting. I scoured the area, and noticed a huge (2 feet across at least) leafy branchy nest up in one of the trees - but the hawks weren't sitting in it and it was too high to see into. Anyone know hawk nesting times and behavior?

At Green Cay, roseates are still there, and spotted 3 least bitterns all along the same stretch at the back of the boardwalk. Also, I've been seeing lots of blue-grey gnatcatchers in the chickee hut canopy area...6-8 at least.

Old Tuesday 30th August 2011, 13:36   #66
merryslug

There are tons of shore birds out on the sod farms right now - there's a particular flooded field they love on Hwy 880 SE of Belle Glade if anyone is interested.

There were reports there this weekend of (among the others), at least one Red-necked Phalarope.
Old Friday 9th September 2011, 15:31   #67
bulos
Bulos

I made my first trip to Belle Glade yesterday not really knowing what to expect. I Came down 27 from Davie and took 80 to 880 and I think I saw the flooded field you speak of on my right? There were a couple hundred shore birds of a few different species. I also explored all the recommended side roads off of 880 but sar very little in the way of sandpipers. When I lived in NJ I'd visit Delaware Bay and Brigantine NWR in the fall and the shore birds were there by the tens of thousands. Does Belle Glade ever reach this level of concentrations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryslug View Post
There are tons of shore birds out on the sod farms right now - there's a particular flooded field they love on Hwy 880 SE of Belle Glade if anyone is interested.

There were reports there this weekend of (among the others), at least one Red-necked Phalarope.
Old Friday 9th September 2011, 21:18   #68
merryslug

Someone else may know the answer to that - this is really my first year looking at shorebirds with any kind of effort. I do get the general impression that the "usual" fields are not as productive as in years past - either too flooded or not flooded enough maybe? That one field seems to have the best numbers and diversity.
Old Friday 9th September 2011, 21:22   #69
merryslug

Reports of a Canada Warbler (among other warblers) at GC's NE chickee hut. I'm going to (hopefully) wake up and try there tomorrow.
Old Saturday 10th September 2011, 03:29   #70
Sydsmythe

I think I saw some kind of dowitcher or red knot on my route today. I wish I had paid more attention to the specific markings of the bird. I remember it being kinda stout and having a long beak and rufous streaked chest.
I was talking to a customer and it was perched on a fence about 3 feet away from us. It didn't move and just watched us. I'll tell Sharon (the customer!) what I think it was so she can check it out and verify.
But what a beak! I wouldn't want to get jabbed by that. Ouch.
Old Sunday 11th September 2011, 19:20   #71
Sydsmythe

Okay, it had to have been a red knot. The short billed dowitcher doesn't even come here. It was not a snipe either.

Paul, the Delaware Bay is a major staging ground for red knot migration. They flock there by the thousands with up to 90% of the American subspecies being there at one time. They go there to eat horseshoe crabs.

They migrate almost 20,00 miles a year between their breeding grounds in the tundra and South America. Some do winter in Florida.

Groups around the Delaware Bay, Virginia and New Jersey have been lobbying to have the bird placed onnthe endangered list due to the depletion of their food sources along the migration route. That includes the horseshoe crab.
Old Sunday 11th September 2011, 20:15   #72
csanchez7

Sydsmythe,

Short-billed Dowitcher is a much more common in Southeast Florida than Red Knot, and the bill of Red Knot is not particularly big for a shorebird. I have never seen Red Knot from an inland location here other than at Cutler Wetlands (which is about one mile from the coast). Short-billed Dowitchers, in migration, can be found throughout the state.

That said, your description of a shorebird on a fence post is quite interesting -- the only shorebirds I have seen do that are Upland Sandpiper and Willet.

Carlos
Old Sunday 11th September 2011, 20:42   #73
Sydsmythe

Thank you Carlos!
The site I checked didn't show the SBD as being here at all, so I guess that was an error.
This bird had a very reddish-streaked chest. The top half of his beak also looked damaged a bit, like the tip was bent.

I'll look at photos of the upland sandpiper and the willet. The photos for red knot are the closest I've seen to matching the bird I saw.

The bird was about a mile inland but there was a large pond a few houses away.

And I really need to study shorebirds! I knew the bird was shaped like a sandpiper of some sort. That's all I had to start with ;(

Okay, checked the other 2. Wrong color. My bird's beak was black. And it was kind of chubby looking, which could be due to the way he was perched, which could also account for the short neck.

Last edited by Sydsmythe : Sunday 11th September 2011 at 20:48.
Old Sunday 11th September 2011, 20:52   #74
Sydsmythe

Okay...checked out some SBD pix and that must be it! There were several shots of the bird bending the tip of its beak up , which resembles what I saw.

Now i can make a report to the folks in that neighborhood.

Thanks again!
Old Saturday 17th September 2011, 03:13   #75
Sydsmythe

I saw a lovely white dove or pigeon in downtown WPB tonight. It was a lot bigger than the other doves and pigeons...at first I thought it was an Ibis.Ii got a photo. Poor sweet thing, I hope it is of the kind that can survive in the wild.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: