Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

South Florida Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 3rd September 2013, 14:16   #151
Zackiedawg

Picking this thread back up now that fall migration is beginning, I thought I'd start with a weekend update from Spanish River Sunday - spotted the great-crested flycatchers back again for fall, along with some prairie warblers, pine warblers, and blue-grey gnatcatchers. Also omnipresent pileated woodpeckers were very active, along with the more usual birds - cardinals, blue jays, mockingbirds, red-bellied woodpeckers, monk parakeets, and a screetch owl.

Zackiedawg's Photography Gallery
Old Wednesday 9th October 2013, 14:55   #152
Zackiedawg

A few October updates - these from my own backyard on Saturday and Sunday while relaxing in my swimming pool. I had flyovers of both peregrine falcon and red-tailed hawk, both first time sightings for me in South Florida, and especially rare around my house in Boca Raton. Very cool to see a red-tailed for a change, rather than the usual cooper's and red-shouldered (both of which I also saw in my yard). Migrators were around as well, with blue-grey gnatcatchers, yellow-throated warblers, red-eyed vireos, black and white warblers, common yellowthroats, grey catbirds, red-bellied woodpecker and downy woodpecker, white-winged doves, collared doves, mourning doves, blue jays, and millions of grackles, all without ever leaving my swimming pool.

Old Monday 28th October 2013, 14:59   #153
Zackiedawg

At Arthur Marshall Refuge, I spotted and photographed my first Carolina wren, just at the left entrance to the cypress trail about 50 feet in. Northern waterthrush at the little pond behind the building. BG gnatcatchers, palm warblers all over. Eastern phoebes in large numbers out on the marsh trails, along with dozens of palm warblers and some pine warblers. Yellow-throated warblers and common yellowthroats also. Belted kingfisher along the road bordering the first pond by the marsh trails. Pileated and red-bellied woodpeckers all around, but more prominently, a possible red-headed woodpecker in a telephone pole right in front of the overflow/bus parking area.

Old Monday 4th November 2013, 15:22   #154
Zackiedawg

This past weekend, I headed over to Tall Cypress in Coconut Creek after hearing of possible wood ducks in the pond just north of the park - and they were indeed there - a male and female wood duck...first-time sighting for me, so very cool. Also there - monk parakeets, palm & pine warblers, osprey, a broad-shouldered hawk, downy & red-bellied woodies, BG gnatcatchers, and a possible indigo bunting female.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: