• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dinas (RSPB) Reserve (1 Viewer)

WHIMBREL

A lifelong Naturalist...
Spent the day at the Dinas Reserve, no Redstart or Pied Flycatcher in yet. Lots of other action going on though; Marsh Tit, Yellowhammer, Siskin, Dipper, Goldcrest, Grey Wagtail and Goosander all within ten minutes of car park.

Peregrine seen carrying Magpie northward. Red Kite, Buzzard and Raven in evidence too.

Note: Work is currently being carried out to renew the boardwalk, when visiting you are redirected to an alternative route while the work is being done, typical of the RSPB though, lets make a good old racket cos' our migrants are due back...perfect timing eh |^|:h?: having said that its been going on for a few months now, and the sole contractor employed is doing a really fine job ;) will look great when its all finished.

I'm aiming to head up there on Good Friday Bill. Hopefully one or two migrants will be there.

Were the Marsh Tits in the usual place?

Rich

Same place for the Marshies Rich, incidentally saw my first Redstart (in Gwent) this afternoon, so I would think your going to have plenty to keep you interested at Dinas on your Good Friday visit :t:

Yellowhammers are currently showing in trees near Church and the adjacent meadows...enjoy!!!

Thanks Bill. Had my first Wheatear today past Ystradfellte. Can be good for Redstarts as well but not today.

Can't remember the last time I saw a Yellowhammer in Wales so thanks for that.

Rich

For anyone thinking of going to Dinas the Marsh Tits are often on the table by the car park. Just realised my post was not very helpful.

Rich

Cheers Bill. The Yellowhammers were where you described. Redstarts, Pied Flycatchers, Willow Warblers were around. Didn't see, or hear, any Wood Warblers. A member of the Carmarthenshire Bird Club also had a Goshawk over the ridge of the mountain from the car park. The Marsh Tits were also back and fore regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_4294.JPG
    IMG_4294.JPG
    687.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4365.JPG
    IMG_4365.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 93
Sounds as if you had a good visit Rich, and you also managed some nice images to enjoy as a bonus. Hope the Wood Warblers are back by the time I next visit, Dinas is simply magical this time of year :t:

The woods floor was carpeted with Bluebells yesterday. All migrants present and correct though not as apparently numerous as in previous years.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_4907.JPG
    IMG_4907.JPG
    820.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4932.JPG
    IMG_4932.JPG
    748.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4948.JPG
    IMG_4948.JPG
    872.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4949.JPG
    IMG_4949.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back