• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Getting spoilt for choice now lads (and lasses) with this and the Durham thread running. I've also got individual area sites in my favourites, Whitburn, Teesmouth & Gateshead - so the amount of gen for the area is tremendous.

I'm after learning some of the sounds & calls - a lot of people tend to have the edge, (it helps in warbler i.d. for starters)!

Any recommendations as to what to listen to or what to learn with - I put this a while back on the Books/DVD/CD section and got no response. Please feel free to PM me on this one rather that slog up this great thread.

Steve

Keith Reeder said:
Quacker, I've got Geoff Sample's "Bird Songs and Calls" CD Guide (published by Collins), which really is rather good.

Have a look here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0002200376/202-7171646-0632609

(Oh - I'm posting here instead of PMing in case anyone else is interested).

PS - Geoff is another one from the North East, as you can tell by his mellifluous Geordie/Northumbrian tones on the CDs..!

;)

Mellifluous is a fine adjective there Keith - I thought it was a type of Warbler, but you live and learn :-O

Actually this one looks the best bet, and the Amazon price is £7.50 than the shop prices. Cheers for the rec - the Amazon customers seem to recommend it highly too.

Steve

Back at Gosforth Park today 9.30am-2pm.
Good views of Reed Warbler very close through reedbed.Common terns doing well with 10 young.Woods pretty quiet Bird-wise but saw 4 Roe Deer (one barking, first time I`ve heard one do that)..and 4 Red squirrel.
Highlight of the day was spooking an Otter in the reedbeds as I walked to the hides soon after getting there.There`s always signs of their presence but very few actual sightings.Well chuffed with seeing one.
Only downside is I`ll probably end up with trench-foot after trudging through mud with a leaking boot :(

Pic of Terns on nesting platform here....... http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/57448

Mark

Last edited:
I'm after learning some of the sounds & calls - a lot of people tend to have the edge, (it helps in warbler i.d. for starters)!

Any recommendations as to what to listen to or what to learn with - I put this a while back on the Books/DVD/CD section and got no response. Please feel free to PM me on this one rather that slog up this great thread.

Steve[/QUOTE]

Yo Steve I have Geoff Samples Collins Field Guide - Warbler Songs and Calls, Its a book with 3 CDs of all the warblers of Britain & Europe, its very good. Copied a lot onto my MP3 player for my hol in May to Bulgaria. Found it invaluable.

Stewart

With all this rain over the past couple of days I went for a cycle around the local patch this evening hoping, perhaps, for a few shallow pools that may have attracted the odd wader.

I didn't find any pools, unfortunately, but still had an enjoyable trip.

Highlights being:

• GRASSHOPPER WARBLER - one reeling from a field behind me as I was looking at a few families of swallows on a wire;
  • LONG-TAILED TIT - a party of around 15 passing through a small plantation (probably my favourite VFM bird);
  • WHITETHROAT - several along the various hedgerows;
  • BULLFINCH - 2 pairs in a small wooded area

Then, as I was parked up waiting for a Blackcap that I could hear to surface from some thick cover, I caught out of the corner of my eye a small, dark brown shape frantically flying from the hedgerow near where I was standing into a tree - and got my bins on a LITTLE OWL perching up there, watching me suspicously.

It seemed to lose interest in me being there after a while, until I pressed the brakes (I prefer that to falling over you see ;)) which squeeked into action and it was off into another tree 50 yards up the track - but right over the track I needed to take to get home.

I spent a while watching the owl (never sure when the next opportunity will come) before I reluctantly headed along the track and off it went.

Then, not more than 400 yards along the same track I flushed another owl - this time a SHORT-EARED OWL which headed away from me low over a field and into some trees but before long, it was out from it's hiding place and hunting over the field.

This has to be one of my favourite birds as I could watch these birds hunt all day.

But, after a while, it disappeared into the trees and didn't reappear plus I had a cold beer waiting for me in the fridge and the temptation was too much so I headed home.

B :)

Alan

Then, not more than 400 yards along the same track I flushed another owl - this time a SHORT-EARED OWL which headed away from me low over a field and into some trees but before long, it was out from it's hiding place and hunting over the field.

This has to be one of my favourite birds as I could watch these birds hunt all day.

But, after a while, it disappeared into the trees and didn't reappear plus I had a cold beer waiting for me in the fridge and the temptation was too much so I headed home.

B :)

Hi Alan

Are you sure it was a Short-eared and not a Long-eared Owl.

Vipers said:
Hi Alan

Are you sure it was a Short-eared and not a Long-eared Owl.

I was dreading someone asking me that !

;)

When it first flushed, it flew away from me and it looked quite dark on the back & upperwings but when it turned back towards me it's face looked good for SEO - quite light, very rounded and with yellowy eyes.

I've seen SEOs over this field a few times this year (had 3 there on Xmas Eve) although I know LEOs have been seen also in the area.

Funnily enough, though, I'm going for another wander tonight with the wife (she likes owls....and robins!) and this time it'll be on foot with the scope in tow so with any luck I may get another chance of better views through the scope.

Alan

No Keith I wish it was..BUT there is a Hybrid yellow leg LBB X ? gets there often I wonder if this is the one that's been seen..Little tern x 2 also rpt which would be patch year bird for me too.....boo hooo

The Med gull was there today too - a lifer for me!

;)

Quite a few sedge warblers and common whitethroats about - and a bright yellow budgerigar.

Rather poor record shots of the Med gull attached (it was a long way off..!)

Attachments

• med1.jpg
    med1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 222
  • med2.jpg
    med2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 200
  • med5.jpg
    med5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 213
Keith Reeder said:
The Med gull was there today too - a lifer for me!

;)

Quite a few sedge warblers and common whitethroats about - and a bright yellow budgerigar.

Rather poor record shots of the Med gull attached (it was a long way off..!)
Dont tell me Ive missed a budgie for a patch tick... :eek!: ;)
Well done on getting a lifer Keith..

Pure fluke on the MG - I hadn't taken the scope, and wasn't even checking out the birds on the rocks. It was Martin Kitching who pointed it out (thanks, Martin!) when I asked if anything was about.

I feel sorry for "Joey" though - it was already getting major hassle from the local spuggies when I was there, and it'll probably be dead in a day or two.

Nice one, Gary - Havannah's pretty reliable for GW, isn't it?

Any pics? Or is cycling and photography a bad combination in your view?

When I'm out on the bike I don't even take my bins, but I think I'll have to start.

I'm ashamed to say, I don't really know much about Havannah even though its only a five minute walk from my house.

Last edited:
Green Sandpiper at Backworth Main Pond today
Also 2 Mediterranean Gulls and a Velvet Scoter at St Mary's Island and 6 Black Tailed Godwits Earsdon Flash......

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back