• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darwin Finches (1 Viewer)

Farrington et al

Farrington, Lawson, Clark & Petren (in press). The evolutionary history of Darwin's finches: speciation, gene flow, and introgression in a fragmented landscape. Evolution. [abstract] [supp info]

I am honestly surprised something like this hasn't been previously published.

Sisyphean evolution in Darwin's finches - McKay and Zink 2014
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/brv.12127/abstract

The trajectory of speciation involves geographic isolation of ancestral populations followed by divergence by natural selection, genetic drift or sexual selection. Once started, the process may experience fits and starts, as sometimes diverging populations intermittently reconnect. In theory populations might cycle between stages of differentiation and never attain species status, a process we refer to as Sisyphean evolution. We argue that the six putative ground finch species (genus Geospiza) of the Galápagos Islands represent a dramatic example of Sisyphean evolution that has been confused with the standard model of speciation. The dynamic environment of the Galápagos, closely spaced islands, and frequent dispersal and introgression have prevented the completion of the speciation process. We suggest that morphological clusters represent locally adapted ecomorphs, which might mimic, and have been confused with, species, but these ecomorphs do not form separate gene pools and are ephemeral in space and time. Thus the pattern of morphological, behavioural and genetic variation supports recognition of a single species of Geospiza, which we suggest should be recognized as Darwin's ground finch (Geospiza magnirostris). We argue that instead of providing an icon of insular speciation and adaptive radiation, which is featured in nearly every textbook on evolutionary biology, Darwin's ground finch represents a potentially more interesting phenomenon, one of transient morphs trapped in an unpredictable cycle of Sisyphean evolution. Instead of revealing details of the origin of species, the mechanisms underlying the transient occurrence of ecomorphs provide one of the best illustrations of the antagonistic effects of natural selection and introgression.

Er, how it is different from any other species adapting to local conditions?

And I think, absence of purpose in evolution means that 'partial' 'incipient' or 'incomplete' speciation is the same as 'sisyphean evolution' or 'local adaptation' etc. Evolution has no wish to lead to speciation.

Last edited:
Er, how it is different from any other species adapting to local conditions?

I don't think it is different from adapting to local conditions. The point here being that in other cases, where gene flow is more restricted, species eventually become genetically incompatible through drift; whereas in the "Sisyphean' case, gene flow is just sufficient to prevent full speciation form occurring. That's how I interpret it.

I don't think it is different from adapting to local conditions. The point here being that in other cases, where gene flow is more restricted, species eventually become genetically incompatible through drift; whereas in the "Sisyphean' case, gene flow is just sufficient to prevent full speciation form occurring. That's how I interpret it.

Indeed, no theoretical breakthroughs here but an interesting re-examination of ground-finch evolution in the Galapagos and the invention of a useful new term for how the "speciation" process sometimes plays out.

Is there a study that confirms that Geospiza magnirostris magnirostris and Geospiza magnirostris strenua are not distinct (which will mean that Darwin's Large Ground Fink is NOT extinct) ?

strenua was included in McKay and Zink (2014). It was not distinct in the sense that it did overlap with magnirostris.

Bailey

Oh, interesting. I wonder that Hume & Walters still considered Darwin's Large Ground finch as extinct but most other sources (including HBW) recognized Geospiza magnirostris as monotypic.

Oh, interesting. I wonder that Hume & Walters still considered Darwin's Large Ground finch as extinct but most other sources (including HBW) recognized Geospiza magnirostris as monotypic.

Maybe I can clarify. Gould (1937), in the first description of Darwin's Finches, originally described magnirostirs and strenua as two different species. They were later merged as one species, the Large-billed Ground-finch (magnirostris had priority, so it retained the scientific name), by most authors. Then strenua, which was confined to only one or two islands, went extinct, leaving magnirostris as monotypic.

I hope this helps.

Bailey

So by extension, if you are reading a check list that includes extinct (sub)species, it should still include two subspecies?

Niels

So by extension, if you are reading a check list that includes extinct (sub)species, it should still include two subspecies?

Niels

I would think so. Extinct subspecies appear in Dickerman's world list.

Although, in this case, it's possible that an author might decide not to recognize strenua.

Large Ground Finch

...Then strenua, which was confined to only one or two islands, went extinct, leaving magnirostris as monotypic.
Hume & Walters 2012 (Extinct Birds) states the opposite, ie that 'Darwin's Large Ground Finch' magnirostris sensu stricto (Floreana and San Cristóbal) is extinct, but strenua (other islands) is extant.

But if strenua is not recognised as a valid taxon, then of course magnirostris sensu lato (ie monotypic) remains extant.

Last edited:
Hume & Walters 2012 (Extinct Birds) states the opposite, ie that 'Darwin's Large Ground Finch' magnirostris sensu stricto (Floreana and San Cristóbal) is extinct, but strenua (other islands) is extant.

But if strenua is not recognised as a valid taxon, then of course magnirostris sensu lato (ie monotypic) remains extant.

Sorry, this is correct. I knew it was the larger-billed form that went extinct, but I somehow forgot that this larger-billed form was called "magnirostris" :-C. I'll blame it on jet lag from my quick trip to Japan.

Because Darwin didn't record island locality information for the finches, Gould's descriptions can be difficult to match up to current populations, but magnirostris was described as slightly larger than strenua. Again, strenua is not that different (a lot of morphological overlap), and I assume it is not recognized by most.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bailey

Last edited:
Lamichhaney et al

Lamichhaney, Berglund, Sällman Almén, Maqbool, Grabherr, Martinez-Barrio, Promerová, Rubin, Wang, Zamani, Grant, Grant, Webster & Andersson (in press). Evolution of Darwin's finches and their beaks revealed by genome sequencing. Nature. [abstract & supp info]

Uppsala University, 11 Feb 2015: Evolution of the Darwin's finches and their beaks.

Princeton University, 11 Feb 2015: A gene that shaped the evolution of Darwin's finches.

BBC News, 11 Feb 2015: Genomes reveal Darwin finches' messy family tree.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the name of Leif Andersson as lead author. I used to know him when he was a heavyweight in pig gene mapping. (too many years ago!)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back