• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replace in a Heartbeat or Not? (1 Viewer)

ailevin

United States
As I've admitted here before, I have many binoculars, some might say too many. I enjoy using different binoculars for different tasks, and so I have never concerned myself with a "do everything" binocular. But lately I realized that though I rarely part with binoculars, there are only a few that I would rush out and buy again if they were lost or unrepairable. I would interested in what others have to say about their "must have" binoculars.

For the sake of this thought experiment, consider each binocular in isolation, not in terms of whether you currently own a reasonable backup that would preclude replacement.

• Fujinon 7x50: I'm very fond of it, but wouldn't replace it
  • Fujinon 14x70: I'd replace it if only I could find it; more modern 16x70 doesn't work for me
  • Oberwerk 15x70: Good price/performance but I wouldn't replace it
  • Canon 15x45 IS: I'd replace it with newer 15x50 immediately
  • Canon 10x30 IS: Very popular with friends and family, but I wouldn't replace it
  • Celestron Nature DX 8x32: Not bad for a <$100 binocular, but I wouldn't replace
  • Cabela's Guide 8x32:Great performer at <$200 but no longer available
  • Sightron II 8x32: Great performer at <$200 I would replace immediately for backup or loaner or to keep in vehicle
  • Maven B2 9x45:This is the only close call. I love this binocular, and would likely replace it immediately, but lately I have felt the siren call of the Zeiss SF 8x42 at 2.5x the price. Perhaps it is the great impression that the Zeiss 8x25 has made.
  • Maven B3 8x30: Very nice compact, but I prefer Zeiss 8x25, and would not spend this much for a loaner or backup though that is how I use it now.
  • Zeiss Victory 8x25: My current favorite for daytime use, I would replace it immediately
  • Eagle Optics Triumph 8x25 reverse Porro: No longer available and would not look for substitute replacement

Alan

I am surprised you don't have any 8x42'S in your lineup or no Swarovski's! I am also surprised that an 8x25 is your favorite for daytime use. I find an 8x25 and even an 8x30 a little finicky for a full time birding binocular. You have a lot of binoculars that you wouldn't replace so maybe you don't use them enough or you might be better off with something else. For example, I don't see the point in having the Maven B3 8x30 when you already have a better compact in the Zeiss Victory 8x25 unless you need it as a loaner. I use to have a lot more binoculars of varying qualities but then I thought why? Why use a less expensive binocular when you have a better one sitting at home because you are afraid of damaging the more expensive binocular. They are covered under warranty why worry about it? I can see having a car binocular to keep in the car but I figure I am going to use my best binoculars and enjoy them. I slimmed my collection to what I really use. These are my must have binoculars. It sounds like you have quite a few binoculars that you wouldn't replace so it seems you are not in love with them and not using them that much. You really like the Zeiss 8x25 and it works good for you so I would bet that the Zeiss 8x42 SF since it is going to come from a common genetic ancestory would please you even more since it is bigger and would perform at a higher level and would have easier eye placement and be better in low light. I would sell off a few binoculars you wouldn't replace and buy the bigger Zeiss and then you would have the compact Zeiss and a regular size Zeiss for your normal and lower light birding and observation.

1)Swarovski 8.5x42 SV FP Best all-rounder. Replace immediatley.
2)Swarovski 8x32 SV FP This one has more WOW than the 42mm SV because of the bigger FOV. Replace immediately.

Now if you want to know if I had to keep only one of the SV's which one it would it would be the 8x32 SV. The 8.5x42 SV is the more perfect binocular no doubt and has a little easier eye placement and it is a little brighter in low light and it shows a little less glare but the 8x32 SV puts a smile on my face every time I use it because it has a bigger walk-in FOV and it is so much lighter and easier to handle and carry. Although it does show more glare it is only in certain situations and I have found you can control it by how you hold the binoculars. I think the 8x32 SV should be on any birder's radar if you want one of the best birding binoculars around.

Last edited:
Canon 18x50 IS Replace immediately, if not sooner, hoping it would be up to the old one.

Docter 10x25 Old. Replace immediately if I could find one.

Leica 8x32 BA. Replace immediately with immaculate 8x32 BA or 8x32 BN.

Swift 8.5x44 HR/5 replace immediately if I could find one, hopefully later version.

Foton 5x25. Replace immediately with fine example if I could find one.

Dowling and Rowe 4x22 WA. Replace immediately if I could find one.

Otherwise, more or less any binocular suits me if it doesn't have excessive eye relief.

I'll play though I don't have near the experience or quantity that you guys do.

Celestron Cometron 7x50: Replace with a better 7x50, possibly Bushnell or Nikon. I might upgrade these eventually anyway.

Celestron Nature DX 10x42: Wouldn't replace. I still use them on occasion, but I wouldn't buy anything that low end now.

Leica UV 10x25: These get a lot of use. I would take a look at the new Zeiss Victory 8x25 and 10x25 and replace with my favorite of the three.

Kowa Genesis 8x33: Wouldn't replace as I consider them too close in bulk and weight to a x42. I would probably replace with a mid to top tier x42 and would consider the Genesis 10.5x44 if I found the sweet spot to be a tad bigger.

Leupold Yosemite 8x30: These are my child's due to the small min IPD. Optics are fantastic but the build quality is not. I'd consider replacing with the Kowa YF 8x30 since it seems like the same thing but with better build quality.

Oberwerk 6.5x32 LW: These are my youngest child's. Optics are terrible. I would replace with the Kowa 6x30 YF.

Hello,

I have one "must have" binocular: Zeiss 8x32 FL. It received a poor reception by some as it has fibreglas reinforced polycarbonate body, quite untraditional. However, it manages to have a fairly large field of view and good eye relief, excellent suppression of chromatic aberration, and resolution and contrast for a sharp image at the center, where I keep my attention.
I have had mine for more than twelve years and see no reason to replace it. It may easily outlast this OAP.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

All: Thanks for the replies. I should have pointed out that the first four binoculars I mentioned I use primarily at night, and the rest I use primarily during the day, though there is some crossover.

Dennis: I tried (owned) a couple mid-priced 42mm binoculars but had issues and returned them. In the mean time I found that 8x32 worked so well for me that I lost interest in larger birding binoculars until I looked through the Maven 9x45. I haven't owned Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica until the little 8x25. I have tried SV 8.5x42, SF 8x42, NV 8x42, at shows and in shops and while the views are different that are all excellent. The SF ergonomics are the best for me, but I'm not yet convinced I prefer it to the Maven 9x45.

Arthur: Nobody is on the fence about that binocular! I handled one briefly at a show a couple years ago and very much liked the form factor, but I was new to birding and didn't seriously consider it. Now it is much harder to find.

Alan

I went on a birding hike at a local state park with one of the park rangers-he had an economical pair of binoculars.
Someone asked him about them and he said the state did not furnish binoculars and these were all he could afford on his salary.

Thinking about this on my drive back
-I have many of higher quality and do not use much
-he uses a lot to stimulate the public interest in nature and birding
-some of less used optics would be better served in park rangers hands.

edj

Indeed.

I have donated some binoculars and telescopes.
Others have probably done the same.

It may be that high quality binoculars are not really needed for the park rangers job.

Astronomers make do with very economical binoculars.

In movies, which may cost a lot to make, very ordinary and many inappropriate binoculars are shown.

The "newest" of my astronomy binoculars is almost 20 years old. The birding binoculars, mostly roof prism, are newer experiments. While I have sold very few binoculars, I gift, donate, and loan them regularly. Right now the Celestron 8x32 and Canon 10x30 are on safari in South Africa and the Oberwerk 15x70 are on semi-permanent loan to an amateur astronomer.

Hey Alan!

For sure your Maven 9X45 you could never replace for what you have in it! ;) It's a great "do it all" binocular for sure.

I have really too many binoculars to list so I'll list a few just for fun:

SV 8X32- Would replace IMMEDIATELY. Probably my primary binocular, #1a.
SV 8.5X42- Probably would NOT replace. This is another great "do it all" binocular, maybe the best. I now had rather have a binocular on each side of it.
SV 10X50- Would not replace. Rather use a 10X42 OR 12X50
SLC 8X42- Would PROBABLY replace. I like it so much and is a GREAT binocular but I tend to use a couple of others more.
Leica UVHD+ 7X42- would replace immediately. Primary binocular, #1b.
Leica UVHD+ 8X42- Let her go. Like others better
Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32- Would replace IMMEDIATELY! Stays in my car and has been my primary binocular when least expected.
Zeiss FL 7X42- Would TRY to replace immediately.
Zeiss FL 8X42- Would let her go. Have other 8X42s I use more.
Nikon Monarch HG 8X42- Probably replace. I use it a lot especially on trips.
Nikon Monarch 7 8X30- Probably replace it or something similar. Use it on trips a lot...kind of expendable.
Meopta B.1 7X42- Would let it go. Other 7x42s I like better
Meopta B.1 7X50- Would let it go, Never use it.

Hi Chuck

Unfortunately I was asleep at the switch when the same benefactor “donated” a gray SF 8x42! I think the Maven 9x45 is worth every penny at list price new. My only question is whether I would prefer the SF 8x42 at 2.5 times the cost, assuming I like it better at all.

Your decisions are interesting since you have such a nice range of choices. I agree that if you have a selection then it is less important to judge based on the ability to do it all.

I was birding with the 9x45 for several hours this morning at a local marsh, and it’s a pleasure to use. My only complaint is that it is bulkier and heavier to transport. In use, the size and weight are advantages with more light gathering, larger exit pupil, larger oculars, and it is easier to hold steady. It carries very comfortably using a RYO harness.

Alan

A

Arthur: Nobody is on the fence about that binocular! I handled one briefly at a show a couple years ago and very much liked the form factor, but I was new to birding and didn't seriously consider it. Now it is much harder to find.

Alan

Hello Alan,

I believe it is still listed by online retailers. Google it and see who is still selling them.

In addition to the Zeiss 8x32 FL, I would be loathe to do without:
Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt and
Zeiss 10x32 FL

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

- Old Zeiss Jenoptem 10x50, not in very good shape: Would not replace

- Nikon Travelite III 7x20: Would not replace

- Leica Ultravid 8x20: Would probably replace with something else that has closer to 3 mm exit pupil

- Nikon SE 10x42: Would replace with something my wife would like even better. Swaro 8x32 SV?

- Canon IS L 10x42: Would replace in a heartbeat.
In fact, at current prices, am considering replacing it even if it doesn't get lost or broken. I would keep the better sample for myself and give the other to my wife or sell it. That would also take care of the risk factor coming from Canon possibly replacing the 10x42 with something not actually better for my needs.

- Kimmo

I'm with Arthur on this one -
Zeiss FL 8x32 - you'd have to break my fingers
also probably Nikon EII 8x30 for dry days.
Vanguard Endeavor EDII 8x42 - could probably replace, but only by investing a lot more money, so unlikely....

Fascinating thread! I enjoy the reasoning ≥ the binocular itself.
I've paired down over the years to:
Steiner Merlin 8x50 (Few other binoculars totally immerse me as this and I love batwing eyecups) Replace immediately.
Steiner 10x42 Hunting. Great glass but decided 10x42 doesn't have role in the way I use binoculars. Selling
Nikon Monarch 7 10x42. Best of all glass, but 10x42 doesn't have role. Selling
Steiner Predator Pro 10x26. Nice glass for the price. Would replace.
Oberwerk 6.5x32LA. Currently keep in truck glove box. Will replace with something nicer, but not so nice as I'd worry about heat or theft.
Leupold 6x30 WA for hiking. Replace immediately.

Fascinating thread! I enjoy the reasoning ≥ the binocular itself.
I've paired down over the years to:
Steiner Merlin 8x50 (Few other binoculars totally immerse me as this and I love batwing eyecups) Replace immediately.
Steiner 10x42 Hunting. Great glass but decided 10x42 doesn't have role in the way I use binoculars. Selling
Nikon Monarch 7 10x42. Best of all glass, but 10x42 doesn't have role. Selling
Steiner Predator Pro 10x26. Nice glass for the price. Would replace.
Oberwerk 6.5x32LA. Currently keep in truck glove box. Will replace with something nicer, but not so nice as I'd worry about heat or theft.
Leupold 6x30 WA for hiking. Replace immediately.

Are you the "Foss" from CN? :cat:

Bill

Most of the premium glass I own are not manufactured any more except those listed below, so I am not including them. I am also not including the lower cost glass I have that is still made.

Swarovski 15X56 SLC
EL SV 10X50
EL SV 8.5 X42
Leica UVHD 8X42
Leica 10X50 UVHD+
Zeiss FL T 8X32

I would replace all except the UVHD 8X42, which I would go for a Leica upgrade, Noctivid or UVHD+ 8X42.

Andy W.

Must admit the thought of losing all my binoculars makes me break out in a cold sweat! If that happened though I suppose I would use the opportunity to rationalize what I really needed, which is:

Quality 10x42 for long distance scanning, needs to be usable with glasses. I currently use the 10x40BGAT*P* Dialyt which is still a great travel binocular (compact) but if it was lost would replace it with a more modern pair - preferably a 10x42 SF but would probably end up with a more affordable FL or pre-SV EL.

8x for closer work, with the widest possible field of view, must be usable with glasses. I would evaluate the Monarch HG but suspect I would end up having to put together the funds to replace the current Plastic Alpha. Unfortunately the price I got mine for is most unlikely to ever be repeated...

Whenever I use my brother's 8.5x42SV FP I think I should sell all my binoculars and just get that one. I suppose I would do that if funds permitted owning only one. But in the final analysis I think I would rather live on bread and water for a month or two and have an 8x and a 10x.

Classic porro - not strictly necessary, unlike the first two, but I have grown to love using these in bright summer conditions. I must (with great reluctance) admit that if I could only replace one from my collection it would be the Leitz 8x30. I'd want a 7x35 extra wide too, but preferably one that focuses further beyond infinity than the Swift I currently use.

Last edited:
I went on a birding hike at a local state park with one of the park rangers-he had an economical pair of binoculars.
Someone asked him about them and he said the state did not furnish binoculars and these were all he could afford on his salary.

Thinking about this on my drive back
-I have many of higher quality and do not use much
-he uses a lot to stimulate the public interest in nature and birding
-some of less used optics would be better served in park rangers hands.

edj

This.

Personally, I'm still looking for the pair of binoculars that I would rush out and replace if something happened to them.

To date, the bin's I've proudly owned have been:

1) Sightron Blue Sky 8x32's. - These just plain work. I would use them for any reason, and they are always available as a quality backup or a loaner pair.

2) Nikon LX-L 10x42 - still might be the best over all optical quality I've looked through. If only they had a 1/4x20 tripod screw mount, I would never have let them go.

3) Cabelas Outfitter 10x42 HD - undoubtedly made in the legendary Light Optical Works factory in Japan, these are still my go-to binocs for just about everything.

4) Vortex Viper 8x28 single hinge - probably never should have sold those. Super handy and compact.

5) Swarovski 10x42 HD SLC's - my eyes just never got along with them. Not sure why, but I replaced them with the Nikon LX-L's and never missed the Swaro's

6) Bushnell Elite 10x42 - probably should have kept those. Optical quality was fantastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back