• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Book Bargains Vol4 (1 Viewer)

I must admit it takes a bit of getting used to the maps with Wales missing - as in a recent EU publication. The authors do explain why - that Wales, Ireland and Scotland have all had their own (country) bird books published, but I would have thought that at least including the border counties might have given a more useful picture. Another minor quibble is that the authors say that they have devoted more space to the species which are threatened, while my feeling is that even if a bird isn't on the decline it could be just as interesting as one that is. However these are very minor points about what is an excellent book.

Alan Hill

Amazing!

Birds in Brazil: A Natural History by Helmut Sick. A great, great book and hard to get hold of. Should be $230. Got a copy of amazon for £27.There's a couple more going cheap. This is an indispensible book for anyone interested in the Neotropics or planning a trip to Brazil

just got a copy of Birds, Discovery and Conservation: 100 Years of the Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club... for £7!

it's a cracking book

I'm a happy boy this morning

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
Amazing!

Birds in Brazil: A Natural History by Helmut Sick. A great, great book and hard to get hold of. Should be $230. Got a copy of amazon for £27.There's a couple more going cheap. This is an indispensible book for anyone interested in the Neotropics or planning a trip to Brazil

just got a copy of Birds, Discovery and Conservation: 100 Years of the Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club... for £7!

it's a cracking book

I'm a happy boy this morning

Tim

Thanks Tim - I've just ordered one - quite a bargain!

Not that I've ever been to Brazil. Of course I'll have to go now so as not to waste £26.73 ...........

At the Neotropical Bird Club Meeting last weekend in Cley, me and my mates picked up copies of Endemic Bird Areas of the World by BirdLife International - now greatly reduced to £15. This is a stunning book describing all of the world's EBAs in great detail. Just reading it emphasises the precarious state of hundreds of species but it also whets the appetite for future birding trips. An incredible achievement and more info than you can shake a big stick at. I contributed a couple of months full-time labour for free to this project a few years ago but left UK afterwards and never got a copy. Nice to have one at last.

Best of all it directs you to important species where your observations could be extremely useful.

oh yeah, get them from Wildsounds (who donate generously to OBC NBC ABC etc)

Tim

Collins Bird Guide on Amazon

Amazon claim to be selling the £40 large format version of this for £15.90. I have ordered a copy, but I'll only believe it when it arrives.

Cheers Phillip,
I was after the large Collins Guide and after reading your post ordered it from Amazon for £15.90. Fantastic, what a bargain !!

Delivered yesterday.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back