• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

confused pigeon? (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
For the past few days a Wood Pigeon has been visiting our garden and collecting sticks presumably for nest building. It gathers three of four nesting type sticks on each visit and then flies off to nearby trees. This is of course normal behaviour in spring but very late August? Has anyone else noticed similar or is my bird bonkers?

cheers alan

Wood pigeons, and indeed all pigeons, will nest all year round. They can grind up seed to make "crop milk" to feed the young so are not dependent on the availability of soft, squishy caterpillars.

Thanks Mono

I didn't realise their breeding season was so long. I have just looked at the BTO site and they say the breeding season is usually April to October but they have been known to breed in every month of the year
Amazing.

cheers alan

presumably the late breeding is timed to coincide with the abundance of seeds - although January seems a little dodgy - especially in the northern parts of the UK

alan

There's always plenty of food around for Woodpigeons in winter! In cities, there's bird tables, and ivy berries, tree seeds, etc., in parks, and in the countryside, autumn-sown oilseed crops are a favoured food.

One year a few years ago my 1 January yeartick Woodpigeon was a newly-fledged youngster in the pre-dawn gloom, had to pick it up off the path and perch it up in a shrub for its own safety :t:

I think in future I shall adopt a more respectful approach to these birds. No wonder they are so plentiful given the
the rather clever adaptations they are evidently able to make

bw alan

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back