• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Least Liked Bird (1 Viewer)

Ruby

In a similar vein to 'Least Exotic' and 'Cutest' I wonder what is the least popular bird??

Of course we love them all, but there must be some that we love less than others....

My own 'unfavourite' would be Woodpigeon :-

Not only do they scoff all my birdseed and cost me a fortune, but when they take flight in the woods they make so much racket that they alert anything else for miles around!!

What do you think??

Yes Woodpigeon not only do they mimic all sorts of birds in flight. They are abundant & they are as Ruby states booming noisy leaving woodland.

CJ

Can't disagree with Harry, but, as a fairly close second I think I'd have to say... (just putting my flak jacket on)... Moorhen.

Jason

An even thicker flak jacket being prepared as I nominate the Robin....murderous little blighters and I'll never forget how one individual chased and harassed a pair of Common Redstarts from my garden one spring, the Redstarts suffered this for several days before leaving (maybe they weren't going to nest in the vicinity, but I'll never know)

European Blackbird is the worst, by a long way. Feral Pigeon comes next. Then the Common Starling. After that, the rest are pretty nice. I should add the House Sparrow, but I actually rather like the little horrors. Sure, they are a significant environmental problem, but they are closely related to our wonderful estralid finches and thus almost a native. (Or so I tell myself, with just enough of a tiny trace of logic to salve my conscience.)

But the Blackbird is the worst. Bloody things are everywhere, they make a hell of a mess of your garden, and their ugly calls are interminable. Only in the spring do I think about forgiving them, when their song seems briefly attractive before a Grey Shrike-thrush answers and reminds me that the Blackbirds song is a poor thing indeed by contrast.

I know it's not their fault, but I can't bring myself to care all that much for cowbirds, of any type. Not only are they causing serious declines in our local songbird populations with their parasitism, but the fact that they're such bad parents makes it hard to shower them with much affection!

Though in another sense, (Winter) Wrens.

You're in a wood in spring, trying to listen out for that distant Wood Warbler, first one of the spring, and two Wrens start duetting, two feet from from your ears either side, deafening you completely for several minutes . . .

Michael

All gulls(except Kittiwakes)are my least favourite birds. Following closely behind would be pigeons,mallards,coots and magpies.

Andrew said:
Mallards, I wish there was one good bird for every hundred mallards I count on the canal for the WEBS!

Andrew - somebody might be taking a swim at Barnes!

I'd go for Wood Pigeon. Purely for the noise they make. Can someone explain the point of Ferral Pigeons?

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Pheasants - especially those daft released ones or the ones that try and attack you. Not much fun when you're tramping through and wood and a Pheasant nearly gives you a heart attack.

I have to say that I do not have a least favourite bird, however common, rare, ugly , cute, colourful, dull or whatever, they are all very photogenic. The only time I despise them is when they fly off just as I press the shutter button!

I'D go with Fifebirder. Kamikaze Pheasants that insist on splatting their entrails on your car windscreen when least expected. In Fife they release particularly stupid ones for local shooting syndicates -I can only assume the birds have to be kicked into the air before they can be shot. ... But then there's Wood Pigeons -big fat brash noisy "cushy doos" that explode through the trees necessitating the sudden curtailment of a woodland birding trip while you return home to change underwear.... AND DID I MENTION ZITTING CISTICOLAS> stupid wee broon birds that are named after teenagers' chins!! -Whats the point there? ;)

Feral pigeons by a mile. I've got loads locally as they nest on the local hospital and get fed by a local city farm. I can't have a bird table becuase of them as they eat everything and wreck it at the same time.
A few years back we helped a lost racing pigeon though, contacted the owner and they got it picked up, but only if you caught it first. Never got a thank you.

CUCKOOS !!

Actually, that's rather unfair - my least favourtite bird is one very specific cuckoo which each April, for the last few years, has set up home at the bottom of the garden. For approx. 8 weeks EVERY morning at 5:30 without fail, it picks up its megaphone and starts its infernal cuckoo-ing. :C This continues for two hours - slowly at first, but gradually getting more and more frantic (sounds as though it's on speed !!) - until the point that I am to be seen hanging out of the window yelling obsenities in the vague direction of the big oak (thus starting off the blackbirds & scaring everything else away!!). My partner (who somehow manages to sleep through the infernal noise) is now also getting p****d off with it - as this year I apparently started complaining about it in my sleep (which he didn't manage to sleep through !!).

On a similar vein, I was very exited the year before last, when a pair of Tawny Owls nested in a tree outside the bedroom window .... well for the first few weeks. But after that ....... similar reaction as for the cuckoo !! Some nights (particularly when I was off work ill) .... if I could, I'd have done something to the family that would probably have had me banned from Bird Forum !! I, of course, didn't - and soon forgave them when the little ones upped and left. The cuckoo - i'll NEVER forgive

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back