• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Children 'Don't know British Birds' (1 Viewer)

Hi Andy

I wouldn't worry about it too much

I suspect not much has changed over the years

Should we be suprised? After all, Curlew, Golden Plover, Goldfinch, etc have all featured more than once on ID threads here...

and the children i know have a better grasp on reaity than the average Daily Mail reader!

Timmy

When I think back to my childhood, I get the wierd impression that there were no birds. Birds only came into existance some time in my early 20s.

I know that some birders got their first tick from the pram but many come to it much later.

Armchair biologists put fieldwork at risk

Armchair biologists put fieldwork at risk

Martin Wainwright
Thursday April 14, 2005
The Guardian

Britain's long tradition of groundbreaking scientific fieldwork is at risk from a new generation of "armchair biologists", according to a survey of children's and students' knowledge of everyday animals, birds and plants.
A decline in field trips and nature walks is starting to show in school projects and student essays which draw on commercial advertising animals - such as penguins and tigers - rather than the real thing on the school doorstep, scientists will be told at the international environment sustainability conference at Newcastle today.

A second study has tracked a similar trend among student teachers. Academics fear a "fieldwork gap" is beginning to engulf a generation prepared to rely on second-hand information about the natural world.

"It is not as if young people are simply ignorant about the subject," said Stewart Evans of Newcastle University, who led the school survey. "But there are signs that they know a lot more about elephants in the Serengeti than what goes on in their local rock pool."

Replies from 217 students showed a clear school-age dependence on recognising "charismatic" creatures from product labels, TV programmes and Christmas cards. Professor Evans said: "Every seven- and eight-year-old involved in the survey knew a robin straight away. By contrast, only half could recognise a blackbird."

The decline in fieldwork was "partly because teachers are so heavily burdened with other duties and partly because of the health and safety demands and paperwork involved in organising school trips".

The Newcastle findings are backed by the second study, carried out by Anne Bevington of the Field Studies Council among sixth formers and trainee teachers. A similar trend of Googling for unoriginal information emerged.

I heard about this. I started birding age 6 or 7. Even then (9 years ago) my friends had vague understandings of at least some birds. What's happening to the country? Blackbirds? That's just ridiculous!

surely alot of this depends on parents? my parents knew nothing of birds so i grew up without even noticing them , now well into my adult hood having my own garden is what started my interest i feed them regulary and have always got any no of different type garden bird eating from the feeders,my interest has sparked my childrens interest, they love nothing more then to sit looking out the windows and checking the books to find out what they are, their getting so good they dont always need the book! were all dying to be able to go out into the field and do some birdwatching but with the youngest only being 2 i think well have to wait a bit?? but i think what im trying to say is if it wasnt for my interest then there would have been no interest from my children!! :gh:

I guess I was lucky as a kid,my father took the trouble to show me different birds,bought me bird books etc & taught me to appreciate the natural world it`s a life long learning curve but it helps if the seeds are sown when you`re at a young age.Back though in the 70`s there weren`t things around like playstations & computers to compete with young peoples time their was though still a degree of ignorance from other schoolkids & a nerdy nametag given to you if you showed any interest in birds.I suppose living on the edge of a council estate bordered by hundreds of acres of countryside helped a lot from my perspective I was never bored.

Steve.

I agree about the parents thing. My old man grew up in the Cotswolds (1930s) and like many then he collected eggs(!!!). He did know his birds and got me into it from a VERY early age (not egging). I do remember he had Red backed Shrike and Quail in his collection! I remember a drive in Surrey where I saw a Montagu's Harrier by Abinger Hammer in about 1955. We went to Slimbridge in 1959 which was mega. So I have been birding for50 years! and I still haven't got 400 on my UK list but I don't care. I've found over 250 of my own birds and there aren't many twitchers who can say that. My kids are not interested in birding but they can certainly identify the common ones. We just have to keep trying. Tim.

I think the article is probably about right. I teach an infant class and a little boy rushed to tell me there was a penguin on our school field! Closer examination revealed a magpie. I am interested in nature and try to encourage the kids. I took my binoculars in for them to see flocks of redwings and fieldfares , for example. However going for walks etc does not seem to be a regular pastime for many families these days .
Janie B

I'm always amazed by people who go 'Hill Walking' and 'Rambling' but have no idea about the wildlife! What is the point of walking around the Cairngorms for example and not knowing a Ptarmigan from a Dotterel? The views are great but they are missing SO MUCH.

Janieb said:
I think the article is probably about right. I teach an infant class and a little boy rushed to tell me there was a penguin on our school field! Closer examination revealed a magpie. I am interested in nature and try to encourage the kids. I took my binoculars in for them to see flocks of redwings and fieldfares , for example. However going for walks etc does not seem to be a regular pastime for many families these days .
Janie B
A lovely story. I've often thought about setting up a field trip at our school as we're on the way to Rutland Water.

A bit off-topic, I know, but despite Tim's slight, I suspect 'Daily Mail' readers are probably well represented in the birding community. I think he will relish page 29 of 'The Observer' today, though with its knocking of all things Daily Mail (all those millions of readers utter fools, eh?). I have to say if you're not a rabid leftie or rightie finding a balanced newspaper at the moment is all but impossible. Today's Observer is quite stupidly unbalanced: Jon Snow's anti-Paxman rant is full of left-slant and even the report on Michael Jackson, whatever our views of him, is full of blatant nonsense that it knows to be wild exaggerations. Pure tabloid stuff.

Last edited:
"I agree about the parents thing."

I would not wholly agree with the parents thing. I used to give dead "beasties" birds etc to schools for their "nature tables". The education authorities stopped schools from having said educational accessories, as they seem to think that there was a "risk" from them. If they are not being taught at school, then, where is education supposed to come from. Experience in later life??

"I remember a drive in Surrey where I saw a Montagu's Harrier"

Did you "tick" it Tim??

"I still haven't got 400 on my UK list. (We went to Slimbridge in 1959)"

You have been to Slimbridge and still not got the 400, Were you sleeping??;) ;)

And here's me thinking that you were far too professional to regards "ticking" as part of your endeavours!!

"I've found over 250 of my own birds and there aren't many twitchers who can say that."

Ahh!!, where would you be without Rattray Head?? Looking at Rock Thrush in the Pyrenees, perhaps??

Regards

Malky

alcedo.atthis said:
"I agree about the parents thing."

I would not wholly agree with the parents thing. I used to give dead "beasties" birds etc to schools for their "nature tables". The education authorities stopped schools from having said educational accessories, as they seem to think that there was a "risk" from them. If they are not being taught at school, then, where is education supposed to come from. Experience in later life??

"I remember a drive in Surrey where I saw a Montagu's Harrier"

Did you "tick" it Tim??

"I still haven't got 400 on my UK list. (We went to Slimbridge in 1959)"

You have been to Slimbridge and still not got the 400, Were you sleeping??;) ;)

And here's me thinking that you were far too professional to regards "ticking" as part of your endeavours!!

"I've found over 250 of my own birds and there aren't many twitchers who can say that."

Ahh!!, where would you be without Rattray Head?? Looking at Rock Thrush in the Pyrenees, perhaps??

Regards

Malky
Cheeky B*gger!

Well, it is a job of RSPB to change this...

About field biology - the other side is that British wildlife is already very well known and biologists are generally vary badly paid.

Future of the environment at risk from 'armchair biologists', experts warn

Future of the environment at risk from 'armchair biologists', experts warn

Date released 14 April 2005

Academics will warn today (Thursday 14 April) that society is in danger of producing a generation of 'armchair biologists' who can write scholarly essays about species that they would not be able to recognise if they encountered them in the wild.

Professor Stewart Evans, of the School of Marine Sciences and Technology at Newcastle University, carried out a survey of 217 Tyneside schoolchildren, aged seven to 16 years, between October 2000 and September 2001.

The survey found that children's ability to name species was extremely poor when shown colour illustrations of garden birds, such as the house sparrow, dunnock and starling, which are sufficiently common so as to be seen on a daily basis.

Conversely, the children were able to recognise 'charismatic' birds such as the puffin, robin, woodpecker and kestrel, because of their occurrence as motifs in advertising, on Christmas cards, or in cartoons and nursery rhymes, suggesting that the limited knowledge children do have appears to be unrelated to their experience of the environment at first hand.

All of the seven and eight year-olds involved in the survey were able to recognise the robin, while only half of the seven year-olds correctly identified a blackbird. Virtually none of the children of any age group were able to identify species such as the curlew, goldfinch, oystercatcher or golden plover.

The survey also revealed that the children's knowledge showed relatively little improvement with their age. The slight improvement appeared to be attributable largely to two species, the puffin and the kestrel. None of the children under 10 years old were able to identify the kestrel, while it was familiar to more than half of the 16 year-olds.

The findings of the study are published today* to coincide with a one-day seminar on 'Promoting Knowledge and Understanding of the Environment' as part of ENSUS 2005, an international conference on Environmental Sustainability organized by Newcastle University.

The seminar will address the growing concern that public knowledge of the environment and understanding of environmental issues is poor, and probably worsening.

Professor Evans comments: 'The reasons are undoubtedly complex, but it is likely that decline in the amount and quality of practical ecology in schools and universities, and the failure of scientists to communicate effectively with other members of society, are probably major contributory factors.

'Paradoxically, we seem to be producing a public that is environmentally illiterate at a time when environmental issues, like global warming and conserving the earth's biodiversity, figure high on the regional, national and international agenda. It is unrealistic to expect people to care for the local environment if they are unaware of the organisms that live in it', he added.

What is needed, says Professor Evans, are more initiatives which can reverse this trend and bring about changes in attitudes in society.

One such initiative, being highlighted at today's seminar, involved the newly-opened centre for music on Tyneside, The Sage Gateshead. Malcolm Green, of The Sage, led a class of seven and eight year-old children in a study of kittiwakes on the River Tyne.

He explains: 'The idea was to use the inspiration of the kittiwake's life cycle to increase the pupils' understanding of, and curiosity about, the natural world, while covering parts of the national curriculum. There is strong evidence that the children's interest in nature was increased beyond the life of the project.'

Amid growing evidence to suggest that science fieldwork in schools and universities across the UK is declining rapidly, Dr Steve Tilling of environmental education charity, the Field Studies Council, believes scientists and educators need to work more closely together to deliver a coherent approach to lifelong learning in the environment sector.

He said: 'Biology fieldwork need not be expensive, particularly if it is carried out locally. The lack of money is an excuse which often fails under close scrutiny whereas, in fact, ecology teachers could make more of the fact that theirs is a science research discipline which can deliver high quality work – very similar to that carried out at the forefront of scientific research – with basic equipment.

'By working more closely together, science teachers and research scientists could help to overcome these obstacles', added Dr Tilling.

Notes for Editors

1. The research paper 'Environmental knowledge: how good is it and where does it come from?' by S.M. Evans, PhD, Sarah Dixon, BSc and Justina Heslop, BSc, School of Marine Science and Technology, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, is available in electronic format from the University press office. Contact 0191 222 5791 or e-mail [email protected]

2. The ENSUS seminar, 'Promoting knowledge and understanding of the environment' takes place at the Assembly Rooms, Fenkle Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, on Thursday 14 April, 2005.

Newcastle University is committed to bringing about change for the better at international, national and regional level. Its Transforming Horizons document states that the University is committed to transforming the environment by bringing together its wide-ranging expertise to focus on the major environmental issues of the day.

For further information contact Melanie Reed in the University Press Office on +44 (0) 191 222 5791; e-mail [email protected]

being a "child" myself, (15) i've noticed how unobservant my peers are, i'm always seeing nuthatches, treecreepers, woodpeckers, warblers etc around the place, thye never notice a thing. and their identification is awful (most cannot tell a blue tit from a great tit), i'm thinking of doing a test for a few people, with twenty common birds and twenty less common birds and see how they do. this is not only confined to birds unfortunatly. what i think is worse however, is the fact that several adults who work in the countryside, hunters, gamekeepers, estate owners don't know a thing about the animals on their land, they only know game and pests, its appaling.

TWM said:
I'm always amazed by people who go 'Hill Walking' and 'Rambling' but have no idea about the wildlife! What is the point of walking around the Cairngorms for example and not knowing a Ptarmigan from a Dotterel? The views are great but they are missing SO MUCH.

There's not a lot of wildlife to see when hillwalking...mainly mippits, buzzards, and sheep

i remember going on trips with the school as a lad, and being fasinated with the wildlife/birds. but when 'going back to the good old days' when talking to family/friends, they dont share the same experience. shame really.

i guess most kids arent interested in walking/learning about the great out doors.

i for one have never looked back. i still remember going to leighton moss as a 11yr old, and other places of interest with my school. did me the world of good too - im only 25 and my old school mates are either drunks, dead or in prison!

I generally agree with the nurture concept, but it's certainly no guarantee. I have two kids. We have been taking them on hikes since they were infants. The oldest is not interested in birds in the least. She can name american robin, chickadee, bluejay, crow. She knows an owl, but not which one. I carved a goldfinch for her when she was seven and she painted it (quite accurately I might add). She can't pick out a goldfinch off the feeder now(age 13). Her life centres around friends and chatting on computer (which we limit). Ironically, when her friends come over, they are more interested in going on hikes with us than our daughter is.

On the other hand, our second child (11) can identify about 20 -30 birds out of the bird book, and can also identify most of the coniferous trees to species. But, she certainly doesn't go out of her way to play in the woods or look at birds (although she does love owls)

As for my own upbringing, my parents never once took me hiking or camping, but I did grow up on a farm. Out of five kids, I'm the only one that has ever gone into the woods on a regular basis.

As for school trips and teachers. The kids in high school love it when I show them slides that I have taken from my travels across the country when I was younger (and my photos are definately amateur), but they moan and groan if I show them a professionally made nature video. They are interested in people not pipits. Paper work is an issue for school trips now. Even the parents that go along have to have a police check before they can volunteer for a day trip to the museum.

I certainly agree with the concept of parents getting your kids out as much as possible. But with so much competition from indoor tech, there is no guarantee. If you force your kids to take piano, some will thank you when they're older, some won't.

Parents setting examples and staying connected with their kids, (no matter what body parts they have pierced) will always be the biggest factors influencing a child's life, bar none. We can just hope that as we continue to lob our values and life lessons over the fence in their general direction that at least a few of them hit the mark.

Scott

i've come up with twenty easy and twenty hard species for a few people in my year, i'll show them a photo of each bird and see what they say, if they get it completely right, e.g black headed gull then they get 2 marks, if they say gull or seagull then they will get 1 mark here is the list of birds i've chosen

"easy"
mallard
golden eagle
coot
moorhen
blue tit
great tit
blackbird
house sparrow
dunnock
jackdaw
starling
mute swan
carrion crow
chaffinch
greenfinch
wood pigeon
herring gull
black headed gull
kingfisher
magpie

"hard"
wigeon
great crested grebe
fulmar
golden plover
shelduck
hen harrier
swift
quail
water rail
common tern
cuckoo
turtle dove
nightjar
green woodpecker
garden warbler
coal tit
tree creeper
chough
bullfinch
yellowhammer

this will be interesting

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back