• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orange-Bellied Parrot: Numbers Increase: (1 Viewer)

It helps to address the root causes .... :brains:
That's a great boost to the numbers though - fingers crossed.

Chosun :gh:

Absolutely agree re addressing the root causes, but I'm not sure draining the Bass Strait is feasible....

My point on the numbers is it looks like a boost to the numbers, but it needs to be sustained, i.e. a decent proportion need to make the migration north and back, and breed. Otherwise it's a pyrrhic victory, shovelling captive bred birds into a metaphoric black hole to give the false impression that the species is not functionally extinct in the wild :(

I read these parrots die not so much during the sea crossing, as during their wintering in coastal Australia. There something could be done, perhaps with supplementary feeding or introduced predators.

Another thing would be trapping and poisoning the introduced predators in Tasmania.

I read these parrots die not so much during the sea crossing, as during their wintering in coastal Australia. There something could be done, perhaps with supplementary feeding or introduced predators.

Another thing would be trapping and poisoning the introduced predators in Tasmania.

I think after decades of study of these guys - their decline has been researched since the 1980s at least - no one has found the silver bullet 'cause'. Moreover it's likely the classic extinction vortex of multiple things acting in concert such that no single things drives the decline (or potentially, recovery)

My point about Bass Strait is that it used to be a land bridge and now is is ocean! So they didn't have to island hop over water so much, which is is big ask for a small parrot.

There has been significant habitat loss on the wintering grounds.

The remaining population has adapted to feed on some weed species to some extent, but whether that is sufficient for them to meet physiological needs for the migration home is another matter. In this limited remaining habitat there is competition from introduced seed eaters - finches and mice. There is however supplementary feeding, although I've not seen any data on whether that has made a difference.

There has also been significant habitat decline on the breeding grounds, where fire regimes that existed for thousands of years stopped being practiced in more recent history.

Their is competition for nest holes from introduced species (including bees, and a native species of glider, introduced to Tasmania), as well as predation by foxes / cats both in the breeding grounds and wintering grounds. Again these are being addressed to varying extents - but whether the actions taken have made a significant difference is debatable.

They are at risk from disease (PBFD is rife in Australia)

The small population size increases the likelihood of inbreeding depression (in fact the captive breeding program was pretty much restarted a decade ago because their was not enough genetic diversity in the supposed insurance population)

Not trying to dismiss it - I was part of the OBP survey volunteer team for several winters - but I'm just a bit cynical of how much hope can be derived from the pumping of another few dozen adult and juvie birds into the population in the hope some of them miraculously survive the multitude of only partially abated threats that have wiped out most of the natural born birds :(

Isn't this the species that was being regularly waxed by a pair of Peregrines CAPping the Bass Strait at migration times, with a wholly disproportionate resultant effect on the total population for a single pair of raptors? Has that threat been mitigated somehow?

John

Isn't this the species that was being regularly waxed by a pair of Peregrines CAPping the Bass Strait at migration times, with a wholly disproportionate resultant effect on the total population for a single pair of raptors? Has that threat been mitigated somehow?

John
I'd think gulls (Kelp Gulls in this case) are a more significant problem - they often target exhausted migrants arriving at coasts, and numbers well up due to feeding on human waste.

They'd probably do better to see if they can persuade the parrots to stop migrating, by providing some supplementary winter feed in Tasmania. The captive-bred birds presumably don't have much instinct to migrate already? And with global warming, it won't be long till Tasmania is warm enough for them to remain resident without supplementary food.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back