• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it true about Adolph Hitlers bird? (2 Viewers)

I was told today that Adolph Hitler had a parakeet that lived to be 100 years old. Now I asked if it was a budggie or was it a parakeet member ,but of course a parakeet to most people is a budggie. So I just wanted to know if anyone knew what kind of bird Hitler had ,and if it was a budggie; could they live to be that old?

Winston Churchill once owned a parrot that yesterday was 104 year old its female and is called Charlie.

I believe Hitler didn't have a bird (he was into dogs), I agree with #2 that this was probably Churchill's parrot you are talking about.

Beautypeacock, let me offer you a warm welcome from the Admin and Mods of Birdforum. It's a special pleasure to welcome another Hoosier!

While I've never heard of a budgie living to 100, I am amazed to hear that Churchill's parrot (I didn't even know he had one, and I'm a bit of a Churchill 'nut') is still living at 104! I've always known parrots were long-lived, but WOW!

But, back to you, Beauty. May I ask where in Indiana you're located? I'm in Fort Wayne.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum. As you can see from the quick replies you got to your question, it's a great place to find answers to any bird-related question you might have. And the answers will be friendly ones, too!

Welcome!!

pduxon said:
I heard on the Radio that Churchill's daughter said that the 104 year old Parrot didn't belong to him.
Nor is the age verified, either - there may be two or more birds involved, with a young one being passed off as the old one after it died

Michael

Surely Churchills parrot also says "in the morning madam I will be sober, but you will still be ugly"?
My wife's uncle has an African Grey thats over 60 (and looks it!), but I think 104 would be pushing it.
Wasn't there an Eagle Owl in a zoo that lived to 80 or something?
Steve.

Churchill was at a function honouring him with a statue when a woman came up to him and said "Mister Churchill its an honour to meet you ..I have travelled for 7 hours to see the unveiling of your bust " Churchill said "Madam I would be happy to reciprocate" quite a card that Churchill!

And this article from BBC:

Churchill's parrot gets the bird
Experts have dismissed the claim that a 104-year-old foul-mouthed parrot once belonged to the wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

Charlie, a blue and yellow macaw, is spending his twilight years in a garden centre in Surrey and his owner Peter Oram says the bird used to live with Sir Winston Churchill in his heyday.

Mr Oram says his father-in-law Percy Dabner sold Charlie to the former prime minister in 1937 and then took the bird back after his death in 1965.

The Churchill family has questioned Mr Oram's story and historians have said they are unsure if the leader ever owned a parrot.

The bird entertains customers at the Heathfield Nurseries, in Reigate, with a string of obscene anti-Nazi tirades, which Mr Oram says Charlie picked up from Churchill.

He loved animals, he had dogs, cats, pigs - but there's no record of a parrot
Judith Seawell

Staff at the National Trust's Chartwell property, Churchill's former country home in Kent, said they had conducted a thorough search of records and photographs but could find no evidence of him ever owning a parrot.

Judith Seaward, marketing manager at Chartwell, said: "We really looked and looked and know he had a budgerigar and all sorts of other animals.

"He loved animals, he had dogs, cats, pigs - but there's no record of a parrot.

Standing by the bird

"We have searched what we've got here and spoken to members of the family who I really thought would have known."

Staff at the nurseries were standing by the bird on Tuesday and defending his claim to fame.

Sylvia Martin, Heathfield's nursery manager, said: "He definitely did belong to Churchill.

"My boss Peter Oram's father-in-law sold the parrot to Churchill and when he died they were asked to go back to Chartwell and collect the birds and brought them away."

"When he died they were asked to go and collect some birds and Charlie was one of them."

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back