• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Rogue 8x25 compacts at SHOT 2009 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

Another new product

http://www.pursuetheoutdoors.com/news/2009/01/16/leupold-introduces-new-rogue-compact-binocular/

Leupold’s® new Rogue™ Compact binocular is designed for hunters who don’t have the space for full-size binoculars but refuse to sacrifice optical quality. The Rogue Compact Series provides full-size features in a petite package.

The Rogue Compact’s inverted Porro prism design keeps weight and size to a minimum. Measuring just over four inches, the binocular weighs less than 13 ounces.

“Bulk and size of equipment are quite often concerns for hunters,” commented Mike Slack, Leupold’s marketing communications manager. “Our new Rogue Compact Series gives hunters a sharp, clear image in a convenient size.”

Rogue Compact binoculars feature fully multi-coated lenses, giving users a vivid, crisp image. The inverted Porro prism design delivers a rich, three-dimensional image that is stereoscopically balanced.

Available in either 8×25mm Compact or 10×25mm Compact, the new models are completely waterproof and filled with bone-dry nitrogen to eliminate internal fogging. Providing further protection from the elements, the Rogue Compact has a black armor coating.

Could be interesting.

Searching the web there seems to be a full range of Rogue bins e.g. Rogue 8x42 roof priced at $170. Diamondback competition, perhaps?
Web site not updated yet.

Interesting. Vortex comes out with a Yosemite equivalent, and Leupold answers with their version of the Vanquish?
Are these all new bins, or just cross-dressers?

Leupold has a compact reverse porro in the Mesa line. This is a 23mm in 8 & 10x. Not a bad compact glass at all, so why the Rogue and how does it differ? Also what is the 8x42 Rogue? Google gives up no photos. Maybe a 42mm Yosemite? Who knows. The SHOT search function is for crap this morning, so not much there.

Kevin's right on the money with the lower magnification comment. That's one reason the 7x26 B&L/Bushnell Custom is so good.

I think one of the problems is that SHOT is a trade show. And some manufacturers treat it that way (like Leupold?) so they reveal the new products to the dealers now and the customers later in the year.

Others like Vortex know the power of the Intertubes and so update the web site at the same time.

I get only one hit for the Rogue 8x42 with no photo but I don't recall that range or product before.

So we'll have to wait ;)

Last edited:
Ok, so my first thought was....rotating eyecups or those stinkin' rubber ones? That was most certainly one of the reasons why I did not pursue the Leupold Mesas reverse porros. The Bushnell Legend reverse porros and the Nikon Prostaff ATBs incorporate them. I hope the new Leupolds do as well.

Ok, so my first thought was....rotating eyecups or those stinkin' rubber ones? That was most certainly one of the reasons why I did not pursue the Leupold Mesas reverse porros. The Bushnell Legend reverse porros and the Nikon Prostaff ATBs incorporate them. I hope the new Leupolds do as well.

As this seems to be a Vortex Vanquish bin and that has twist up eyecups I rather expect the Rogue compacts to be the same. Rubber fold-down eyecups don't cut it any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back