• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Almost a year in .... (1 Viewer)

jada dulo

Mr.VP!!!
For those of you who dont know , I began birding ( properly ) in August last year and so now am nearing my first full year birding ! In this time I have suffered some high's and lows ( more about those later ) whilst also managing to clock up 130+ visits to my local patch , several excurtions to the coast , watch my daughter be born last November and finally , move house ( just four days ago ) !! A busy twelve months by anyones reckoning I should guess ?
Before I get to the question 'how did I get started birding again ?' , I feel I should explain why I stopped . Basically , I began having an interest in birds when I was about 10 but it took me a few years to really understand the complexity of identifying birds and to also understand about the other aspects of becoming a reasonable birder , ie: migration , habitat , where to go and when etc . I soon developed a local patch in the shape of Staunton Reservoir , Leics . I probably visited this site around 200 times in a two year period . I recorded around 130 species here - not bad considering I was very green around the gills and was struggling with even slighty easy birds . I can remember seeing a mid-sized wader once and not knowing what it was I took notes and made sketches and even crawled through soaked grass to try and get as close as I could to it . But , I couldn't make a possitive ID of the bird . One day I was stood on the bridge which overlooked the back part of the reservoir , when a young man in his mid-twenties walked up and looked over the bridge and without even needing to use his very smart-looking bins ( I thought so , anyway ) he turned to me and said " nice Greenshank down there ! " .
I couldn't believe it !! the time and effort I had spent trying to ID this bird and he could do it without a second glance !! After I explained what I had been through with this bird he told me that it was good that I had taken the time to do this and would now always know this bird if I saw one .
Anyway , it was 1987 and my Dad had got a job working in Shropshire and so we had to move . I was 16 at the time and was totally distraught , I was leaving my home , my friends , my family and my local patch . I hated Shropshire already and hadn't even been there yet .
I toyed with a near-by site once we had moved in and were settled but I just couldn't get interseted . My Dad , seeing my interest slip , took me to a reserve just 3 odd miles down the road - Venus Pool !! But I was too far gone . I was working a job I hated in a county that I hated . And so within a year of being in Shropshire I put my binoculars and scope away and there they stayed for 14 years !
And so , with 14 years of far too much time spent in pubs a few failed relationships with girls a career at the power station secured my first home , plenty of new friends and a wife to boot it brings us up to May 2003 . My wife and I had spent two weeks the previous year in Cornwall for our holiday ( Deb had never been before ) and we had loved it , so we had booked to go again . I have no idea why I packed my binoculars this year but I did . We arrived at the beautiful cottage we had rented for the week , unpacked and as it was a nice evening decided to go for a walk along the estuary which ran outside our cottage . We had gone only a few yards when I noticed several white birds on the far bank - I knew they wern't swans . Raising my bins I was chuffed to bits ( and quite amazed , too ) to see they were Little Egrets !! This was the first time I had ever seen one and here were several all together right outside our cottage . We enjoyed the Egrets the whole time we were there , also my wife used to love the family of Shelducks which also regulary swam past . It was probably this holiday which was the catalyst for my birding to be re-ignited .
I think it was probably around this time last year that I went bird ringing with a local expert ( whom I would soon become a good friend of ) who told me of all the stuff that could be seen locally if you knew where and when to go . I was fascinated , I couldn't believe the amount of species that were readily available to me and right on my doorstep . It was on this day that I explained how I was thinking of getting back into birding and told the story of the Egrets in Cornwall . " Well they're are three at Venus Pool right now " , Andy informed me , " you should really go there , it's always worth a visit " .
So , on August 4th 2003 I made my first proper visit to Venus Pool . It was a hot afternoon and I was quite happy watching Oystercatcher , Greenshank , Common Sandpiper , Green Sandpiper and the usual wildfowl , amongst other stuff whilst waiting for the Egrets to drop in ( little did I know it would be almost a year before I'd see a Little Egret at Venus Pool ) . I was about to call it a day and leave when I saw a large brown bird flying in from the south-east . I raised my binoculars and my heart leapt into my mouth as I found myself staring at the unmistakable form of a Bittern !!! This was it !! The exact moment I was utterly hooked on birding . Something I had only ever dreamed about before - seeing something both rare but unmistakable for anything else . I phoned my wife and my parents on the way home to tell them what I had seen , I was in mild shock , I'm certain now , looking back . A few pints of Guinness later in the pub calmed me down no end .
So , Venus Pool became a place where I could be regulary seen , either in one of the hides or walking around the top field looking for something unusual . Within just a few weeks I had seen Golden , Ringed & Little Ringed Plover , Redshank , Spotted Redshank , Red Kite , Whimbrel , Water Rail and Peregrine all at Venus Pool ! However , I also experienced the pain of dipping on a major local rarity as one day I discovered that the day before about an hour after I had left a Purple Heron was discovered over on the near-by Trout pool !! I was shattered by this news and soon discovered that being a part of a group who could keep you informed of what was about was of the up-most importance if I was going to see anything rare or unusual within the Shropshire borders .
Not long after the birth of my daughter Erin , in Novemeber , I found my self at Venus Pool watching a stunning Firecrest which had been discovered just a few days earlier - I had had about 5 life ticks in as many weeks !! It was also around this time that I began posting here - just to let you know !
As 2004 began I was fully-fueled and raring to go , I had already decided to have a go at year listing , something alot of birders seemed to do . This became something of great use as I also tried to stay within the boundries of Shropshire whilst doing it . Therefore improving my local knowledge ten-fold ! I had also by now made a few local birding friends who kept me informed of anything good locally . In January I found myself at Ellesmere enjoying my first ever Black-necked Grebe and just a few days earlier I was at Dudmaston pool watching a stunning drake Smew ! Other birds I also got in the early part of the year were Ring Ouzel on Titterstone Clee , Osprey and Bittern at Venus Pool , Mediterranean Gull at Ellesmere and more recently a fantastic Pectoral Sandpiper at Wood Lane NR .
And so , it leads us up to last week when I was sat at Venus Pool watching two Little Egret sat right outside the main hide and it was then that I thought how far this bird had brought me from just over a year ago in Cornwall . I have managed to see 162 species so far this year , 142 of them within the boundaries of Shropshire . And as for those two Little Egrets , well they became my 130th species of bird at Venus Pool ... and in just a tad under a year !!
Phew ! What is the next twelve months going to bring me , I wonder ?

Good birding , y'all !!

Last edited:
Well done - what an achievement. And a interesting write up aswell. I remember seeing Little Egrets when staying in Devon a couple of years ago. Unusual bird but very handsome I think.

Good on yer, and a great story:clap: hope your next 12 months are even better.
bert.

elgin5050.fsnet said:
When does the birding year start? I hope i dont regret asking this.

37th Octember?

It depends on your good self. A lot of people start their birding year on 1st January - or you could start it like jado, on some kind of anniversary. Depends whether you make lists or want to set goals I guess.

Rich.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back