• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Missed the BB Sand, ID on Curlew Sand please? (1 Viewer)

pauliev69

Proud Smoggie
Hoped to see the Buff-Breasted Sandpiper today at Blacktoft Sands but missed out, it was reported at 8.30 AM ( too late as usual! ) Looking for ID on the following pics, are these Curlew Sandpipers? if so would be a first this year for me, sorry about the quality, bit of a squeeze in the hides today! Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• CURLEWSANDSBF1.jpg
    CURLEWSANDSBF1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 198
  • CURLEWSANDSBF2.jpg
    CURLEWSANDSBF2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 197
Hi Paul,
Yes, these are juvenile Curlew Sandpipers: the peachy wash to the breast and neat fringes to the mantle feathers/ scapulars/ coverts allow them to be aged, and also seperate them from other superficially similar species, as does the structure (bill and legs too long for Dunlin, though some other races of Dunlin can be similarly long-billed, as with hudsonicus in North America).
Harry

Nice catch Paul :t:

Sorry you missed the BBS but you had a cracking day weather wise.

Was there much else about?

Thanks Harry and David for the ID, hi Ian, yes it was a nice day weather wise. Plenty of Godwits and Snipe singles of Green Sand, Little Stint, Spotted Redshank and Greenshank, well worth the trip ;)

pauliev69 said:
Hoped to see the Buff-Breasted Sandpiper today at Blacktoft Sands but missed out, it was reported at 8.30 AM ( too late as usual! ) Looking for ID on the following pics, are these Curlew Sandpipers? if so would be a first this year for me, sorry about the quality, bit of a squeeze in the hides today! Thanks in advance :)

Hi Paul,

Correct me if I'm wrong, whoever reported the BBS would have to be a member of staff, unless opening times have changed. Blacktoft used to open at 9.00AM. So the birding fraternity would miss out if it only paid a fleeting visit. ;) ;)

I have had this out with the former assistant Warden asking why it isn't possible to get onto the reserve a lot earlier, say 6.30AM. He gave the reasons, rules are rules etc. TOSH.

Really pleased you had a great day out. I almost went on Saturday but thought it would be heaving, so went elsewhere.

Regards

One feature that I find helpful in picking out curlew sand at distance or unhelpful light conditions when you only have jizz to go on is that they appear long winged in comparison to dunlin. with a much more drawn out rear end.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back