• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG serial numbers- what do they tell you? (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

Does anyone know if any info can be garnered from EDG serial numbers?
Like year of manufacture, if there have been any coatings changes since they were made, that sort of thing.

I am trying out a 8x32 EDG II and am trying to gather as much info as I can.

Thanks

Does anyone know if any info can be garnered from EDG serial numbers?
Like year of manufacture, if there have been any coatings changes since they were made, that sort of thing.

I am trying out a 8x32 EDG II and am trying to gather as much info as I can.

Thanks

See Bruce's post #26 in this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=240451&page=2

His 8x32 EDG II was 7004XX. I think they are sequentially numbered like most bins are, so this was around the 400th manufactured. If they follow the numbering sequence of the SE series, and there is no reason to think they would not, we could expect subsequent batches to be labeled 701xxx, 702xxx, etc.

As to the coatings, what I've seen from the SE series over the past 12 years is an improvement in coatings: 550.>505>501. Next week I'm going to compare my 550 to a 504 and add to that list. Some people can't see the improvement, but some people can't see chromatic aberration, "rolling ball," excessive pincushion, and they all stick out like "sore thumbs" to me.

The color rendition has remained the same, but the contrast, color saturation and apparent brightness have improved due to upgraded coatings. This is likely the case with the EDGs although they haven't been around that long, and many of the first series were replaced by the EDG II due to problems with the focuser and/or diopter.

So if you have a "II" it likely has the latest Nikon coatings, but the higher the number of the third digit (i.e., 701, 702), the newer it will be.

Brock

Last edited:
Thank you Brock. It's 7003XX so early issue then.

In a very brief try out (10 minutes), I am impressed by the view, but unimpressed with the mechanics. They are secondhand by the way.

The dioptre is set way off. I have to set the right eye piece to +2 1/2 and my eyes are equal on all my other bins. And the right eyepiece has a tendency to start unscrewing when you twist up the eye cup.

All this and they have just been serviced by Nikon. Not good.

I shall give them a bit more of a testing but I'm pretty sure they will be going back to the shop.

You might be able to stop the eyepiece from unscrewing if you grip the metal tube firmly and screw it back in as tightly as you can. Can't help you with the diopter. The one on my 10 x 32 EDG I has been perfect for over 2 years now. SN is 9001xx. Between 150 and 170.

Bob

Last edited:
I can confirm that Nikon serial numbers are useless for dating an instrument.
I have many in my collection, and there seems little logical ordering once you switch between models.

You might be able to stop the eyepiece from unscrewing if you grip the metal tube firmly and screw it back in as tightly as you can. Can't help you with the diopter. The one on my 10 x 32 EDG I has been perfect for over 2 years now. SN is 9001xx. Between 150 and 170.

Bob

Ditto with my 7x42 EDG I. It is by far my most used roof (my wife won't use anything else) has the smoothest focus of any of my binos and the diopter is still perfect after 2+ years of use.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back