• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Fine Grade 8x25 Compacts (1 Viewer)

Quacker

Anyone tried, or possess these? - they are on my shortlist along with a couple of other 8x25 as part of my upgrade of low-cost comapact/light-weight gear.

This one was on the shortlist, based on a review in Birdwatching magazine of compacts over £100. Of course without trying them for myself, and the usual caveat, just wondering if anyone has any user comments, good or bad.

Picture/viewing quality I accept is individual, any other comments appreciated.

This request has been posted in Swift & Opticron sections as they are also part of the shortlist.

I seem to remember hearing that RSPB are rebranded Viking products (among others)? I understand a lot of people go for full size bins, but are compacts rarely used or just not discussed with the same passion?

Steve

All I can add is that I believe Viking are the providers of the RSPB range of bins and scopes. I have a pair of 10x25 Viking bins which seemed fine when tested in the shop in Suffolk but turned out to be pretty awful in the field. I keep them in the car as a very last resort if that helps!
Cheers
B

Interesting reading Barry, but the one I mentioned were already shortlisted by a panel of users in Birdwatching magazine (if that's a good recommendation of course).

I assume they had a bit about them as they were shortlisted as best buys, or certainly recommended. THere can be a difference between models as we know, thanks for the info - this is good reason to ask around.

Steve

Hi again Steve

I don't know what your budget is, but look at Wilkinson ad on p60 and see their special deal on Leica Trinovids - £70 off the list price at £259!

It pays to keep an eye on these things when you're in the market for kit - I got a Ziess 65mm scope with a FREE zoom lens (£240) from Warehouse Express and the offer is still on but with a fixed magnification lens at the moment. The Zeiss is fab, light to carry and a really great zoom lens

Cheers

Barry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back