• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camera for Swaro (1 Viewer)

SusanRachel

I have a Swaro ATS 65 HD scope, 20-60x, and would like to begin digiscoping. I don't know too much about it so have been reading to figure out what kind of digital camera I should buy. The more I read, the more confused I get. What are the important features I should be looking for? Where can I go to read up on digiscoping? What cameras will be compatible with my scope?

It seems like everyone is talking up their current camera. How do I decide which one is right for me? The people at the camera shops don't seem to know anything about digiscoping, so I can't hope to get any help there.

Thanks so much for the help!

Hi Susan

I think the reason that everyone talks up there own is because there is now no particular leader thats stands out from the rest. Initially it was the Nikon swivel-bodys but the last (CP4500) was discontinued about a year ago. Contax/Kyocera also got a following and then more recently the Canon A95. Unfortunately these are all also discontinued and now new models come out every few weeks so there is a lot of trial and error.

Andy Bright's web site is still as good a place to start as any to learn about what you need and then there is advice on just about everything in digiscoping section here.

If you can get hold of any one of the above 3 either new or second-hand you could do a lot worse. If not you need:

a. A camera with a means of attaching it to the scope - therefore either a screw thread around the lens to take a tube adapter or a tripod screw in the bottom to acept a multi-type bracket.

b. Generally speaking a camera with a max zoom of x3 / x4. Take your scope into the camera shop and try offering up various cameras to the eyepiece and ensure you can get rid of any black ring (vignetting) round the image on the LCD by zooming in a bit. It is normal to go to at least x2 on most camera/eyepiece combinations. Equally a smallish lens 28-35mm is probably easyer to marry up to an ep than some of the bigger ones.

c. A camera with a swivel screen makes it much easier to view when mounted on a scope.

d. A camera with an internal zoom (ie where the lens doesn't extend) is easier to mount without any risk of the lens hitting the EP.

e. The number of megapixels is less important. 3/4 is ample for good pics.

f. Ideally you should have a reasonable amount of control over the camara settings. "Aperture priority" is the prefered mode for most to ensure you have the largest aperture and therefore the fastest workable shutter speed.

I'll caveat all of the above before anyone jumps all over any particular point by saying they are generalizations. ;) (There is probably someone out there taking good pics with a hand held, super zoom megapix :'D ).

Best of luck and if you find something which works really well please let the rest of us know!

PS. Just noticed this is your first post so a very warm welcome to BF. There are hundreds of helpful people here who have tried most things between them so just keep ask !!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back