• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

earlier on I met a mate who'd just found an elusive Icky at Waxham. We managed dodgy flight views and that was all until two persistent and determined hours and a fair amount of foul weather later I finally had it out in the open. Stonking patch tick...

edit: Icky still there tonight but again very elusive. Think it was only heard...

Tim

Last edited:
Certainly is Tim. Nice one

Norfolk certainly seems to have hotted up all of a sudden (not that it's ever cold):

2 Red Backed Shrikes
2 Temmincks Stints
1 Icterine Warbler (+ 1 in Suffolk)
1 Bluethroat on B. Point
1 Iberian Chiffchaff.

Needless to say I'm gutted that I have 'better' things to do than dossing about on the Norfolk coast looking for birdies

:storm:

Looking foreward to being back.

Jason

Edit: Although the sudden appearance of a Wilsons Phalarope nearby may have brightened things up. Shall have to get down there tomorrow if its still there.

Jason

Last edited:
finished the day with Red-backed Shrike and Spotted Fly

RBS and Icky on the patch too... can't be bad. Int Norfolk brilliant?

Looking forward to the morning...

Tim

Last edited:
Had good views of the cracking male Red Backed Shrike at Holme this evening from the public footpath just east of the forestry. If trying to see the bird tomorrow do not stray of the public footpath unless the reserve is actually open (10am-5pm)

Connor

After a soaking at Holme, Titchwell and Wells with only 4 Little Gulls at Titchwell, Carol Inskipp and I had a Spotted Flycatcher sitting on a gate up towards Choseley barns and a Quail calling from the top bend at Choseley.
When will this rain stop? Both my lawns at Roydon are now under water! I am expecting the waders any day now!
Sue

Had good views of the cracking male Red Backed Shrike at Holme this evening from the public footpath just east of the forestry. If trying to see the bird tomorrow do not stray of the public footpath unless the reserve is actually open (10am-5pm)

Connor

Just got home!!!!! Seen by me too!!!!!! ;) :D - fantastic end to the day. First day back at work after holiday, had to go and view a car after work, could hear my mobile bleeping and when I was finally able to look, had a message from my friend Ken and from young Connor - Red backed shrike at Holme!!!!!! Flew home, swopped skirt for trousers, ate sandwich while collecting bins and scope, arrived Holme and parked by 5-bar gate and walked along public footpath to find Connor + Shrike!!!! Found both (8pm), brilliant views of male Red Backed Shrike sitting in the bramble in the sunshine, he looked very contented.

Saw a barn owl over the marsh, couple of cuckoos, yellow wagtail flew over. 40 brents (Connor counted!) going west along shoreline. Ken and I went on to look at Old Hunstanton beach in hope of a bluethroat, but alas nothing but a grey partridge and a meadow pipit chasing a cuckoo again!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

P.S. BIG thank you to Connor and Ken for letting me know:clap: :clap: :clap:

My year list now at 178 - very pleased.

Also just noticed Birdguides have a Common Rosefinch seen at Winterton at 4.22pm.
I would love to have seen the bluethroat on Blakeney Point, have not seen one for years.

Last edited:
finished the day with Red-backed Shrike and Spotted Fly

RBS and Icky on the patch too... can't be bad. Int Norfolk brilliant?

Looking forward to the morning...

Tim

Snap!!!!!! with the RBS!!! ..........'Int Norfolk brilliant' indeed:clap:

BUT I am not looking forward to the morning, work always gets in the way!!!

Have a good day tomorrow Tim.

Best Wishes Penny

P.S. BIG thank you to Connor and Ken for letting me know:clap: :clap: :clap:

No problem Penny, shame Ive really got to do some revision or would be out checking the dunes...

The Red Backed shrike hasnt been reported at Holme this morning, but Red Backed Shrikes reported at Cley and Winterton with Common Rosefinch at Sheringham. Attached below is a record shot, late evening, of the Red Backed at Holme

Cheers,

Connor

Attachments

• RBShrike-con.jpg
    RBShrike-con.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Had a very pleasant day's birding with Chris Norfolkbirder

Sea Palling
Fieldfare !!!
3 Turtle Doves
2 Yellow Wags
Lesser Throats
Spotted Fly
6-7 Little Terns
2 Wheatears

Waxham
Montagu's Harrier
200 Swift
Yellow Wag
c. 40 Whitethroats
(RBS still present lunchtime)

Tim

Last edited:
No problem Penny, shame Ive really got to do some revision or would be out checking the dunes...

The Red Backed shrike hasnt been reported at Holme this morning, but Red Backed Shrikes reported at Cley and Winterton with Common Rosefinch at Sheringham. Attached below is a record shot, late evening, of the Red Backed at Holme

Cheers,

Connor

Hi Connor

You're revising and I am looking for a new car!!!!!

Only just got in at 8.30pm from looking at cars since I left off work. Think I have found one, won't speak too soon!!!! Very funky car, was going for practical, but decided at my age life is too b****y short, very excited, but will have to see if I can actually reach the pedals when I go back tomorrow when garage is open (I am only 5' 4"!!!!).

Thanks for posting the picture, lovely.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Not a fan of the night shift BUT it does give the opportunity to have a look along the cliffs before getting into bed. Half term is a bonus too as there's no need to get the girls up early for school!

So an hour spent between cart Gap and Happisburgh this morning turned up Turtle Dove and a female Whinchat at the end of Doggetts Lane; both new for the year. About a dozen Gannets passed west offshore too.

Walking the dog along a footpath in Lessingham this evening turned up a fly through Little Egret which was good. What wasn't good was the fact that it would be an addition to my Happisburgh list! Only a matter of time I guess...

James

Last edited:
Tuesday night

Barn owl between Holt and Cley

Red-backed shrike still down east bank at Cley but poor views against setting sun. Also 2 little, 30 Sandwich and a common tern, Cetti's warbler, beardies, tawny owl, marsh harrier etc

4+ nightingales in full song at Salthouse heath and 2-3 nightjars showing well at circa 9.45pm.

Gordon

news is very quiet from Titchwell and Cley in recent days, has anyone been there lately and seen anything interesting............. Nothing on any on the red backed shrikes today either

Hi Craig

Things have been pretty quiet at Titchwell recently - we seam to have missed all the recent migrants.
Up to 4 spoonbills (1 Dutch ringed) in the last week and 2 curlew sands until the weekend. Marsh harriers survived the bad weather with the 1st nest hatching yesterday. Bittern still booming and one showing in reeds on and off all day from the Fen Hide.
Hoping to pull something out of the bag at Thornham Point in the morning!!

Paul

Little Egret at Lessingham again this morning, also Barn Owl.....

Hobby through Happisburgh this evening whilst I was out walking the dog. Great things dogs; means I get out birding!

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back