• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wanting to get more serious about bird photography - advice needed (1 Viewer)

lowcountrybird

Hello,

I have only used film cameras and digital point and click (Olympus C740-Ultra Zoom). I do have a Canon Rebel S Film camera with a 35-105mm zoom lens. My c740 is inadequate for bird photography given I really want to take much better bird photos and it's just too soft and noisy at full zoom. I am also going to Costa Rica in January and want to be able to take good photos of wildlife there. So, I'm thinking it's time to consider going to DSLR rather than upgrading my point and click camera.

Weight is a consideration since I shouldn't be lugging too much weight around. I like to go out for long walks. I realize it is a contradiction to want to get more serious about bird photography and yet have weight limitations, but I really do have to be careful about how much weight I take on. So it will be about compromises there.
Ability to capture bird behavior is important as well. We live on a river and get eagles, hawks, gulls, terns, pelicans, osprey, and also lots of smaller birds as well. I get frustrated when a gorgeous osprey perches on a post two docks away eating a fish, and I cannot get a decent shot with my c740. We also get hummingbirds in our backyard each year that I'd love to be able to capture with more detail.

So I'm considering the following cameras:

Olympus E-520
Canon 40D
Canon Xsi
Pentax K20D

Do any of you on the Olympus forum have any advice regarding using an Olympus e-520 for bird photograpy (or 510 since the 520 is pretty new)? I want to get into a system that I can grow with. I was a bit concerned that going with Olympus would limit my choice of lenses too much if I get really serious about photography (which is highly likely). Any advice on factors to consider and on the equipment I'm considering would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Using Olympus for bird photography is a good choice because of the crop factor. I have an E-3 and several lenses, perhaps take a look some Puffin shots I took on Skomer island earlier this year using the E-3 with 70-300mm plus 1.4x.

Here's the link: http://www.reflectingme.com/p28339871/

I don't think you will have anything to worry about regarding Olympus and with growth of the system and available lenses. There are new lenses being released regularly, and to be honest, Zuiko glass is widely acknowledged as being amongst the top quality glass you can get.

You will also find that the kit lenses supplied with the E-510 or E-520 are simply stunning for kit lenses. You will get the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm - and both are awesome. They are undoubtedly the best kit lenses supplied with any DSLR today. Yes of course there are superb lenses for other makes, absolutely there is, but for features per pound, you really are looking in the right direction regarding the E-510.

Don't forget that this Olympus model has built-in in-camera image stabilisation - it's not in the lens, it is in the camera and therefore every lens you put on the camera has IS. No more having to consider upgrading your lenses to their equivalent IS models!

Another factor you mention is weight... the fact that Olympus have opted for physically smaller sensors means that ultimately lenses will be smaller too! and thus a lot lighter for carrying around. In my backback I regularly carry around the E-3 (well, that's around my next usually), my spare E-510, 14-54mm, 11-22mm, 70-300mm (usually on the camera), 1.4x and the Sigma Bigma 50-500mm. OK the Bigma is large and is a tad heavy, but I do pack it all into the backpack and find it is easy to lug around over my shoulders.

I am obviously an Olympus chap yeah, but to be totally honest, the best advice I can give you is go to a store and try out all the kit you fancy for yourself, feel it in your hand, see if it 'works' for you. Try them all out before you buy...

Good luck with your search, and if you do choose Olympus, remember the Olympus Forums here - http://e-group.uk.net/

Good luck...! and happy shooting.

I myself am going to buy the E-520 once it becomse available. I also stronly considered the other cameras you mentioned, especially the Canon 40D and Xsi, plus also the Pentax K200D.

I decided on the E-520 because of several factors:
1) smaller lenses and 2x crop factor. Thus, the 70-300 gives 600mm equivalent. On other cameras you have mentioned, a 300mm lens gives equiv. of about 450. To get out to 600, you need a 400mm lens, which is larger and usually costs more (and, of course, if you put such a 400mm lens on the E-520, you get 800).

2) image stabilization is in the camera. I consider this very desirable, and eliminated the Canons from my consideration.

3) Improved Live View over the E-510. This can be useful, especially for macro photography.

I do agree that the lack of lenses for the Olympus system is a concern. However, the 70-300mm lens seems to meet most of my requirements. Of course, you can always use more magnification, and then the Sigma 50-500 is available. Unfortunately, the Sigma 135-400 is supposedly no longer available for Oly 4:3 mount, which is too bad. It is smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the 50-500, and would be a great option for more magnification. There have been mixed reports about the Oly 1.4 teleconverter in conjunction with the 70-300 lens, and it is kind of pricey, but it is another option.

Also, too bad that Tamron, Tokina, etc don't seem to make lenses for Oly 4:3 mount. But then, as I've said, the existing Olympus line of lenses seems to cover things pretty well.

Thanks, RAH. I also had someone suggest using a scope and compact digital camera for bird photography. I'm going to look into that as well.

I myself am going to buy the E-520 once it becomes available. I also strongly considered the other cameras you mentioned, especially the Canon 40D and Xsi, plus also the Pentax K200D.

Good call.. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. The E-520 is an excellent choice.

I decided on the E-520 because of several factors:
1) smaller lenses and 2x crop factor. Thus, the 70-300 gives 600mm equivalent. On other cameras you have mentioned, a 300mm lens gives equiv. of about 450. To get out to 600, you need a 400mm lens, which is larger and usually costs more (and, of course, if you put such a 400mm lens on the E-520, you get 800).
Correct, but do remember though that it is only the effective focal length that changes. You are right, if you put a 300mm on the E-series cameras you get an effective focal length equivalent of 600mm. It's only the field of view that actually changes because of the smaller sensor size - but the newer Olympus models (E-520, E-420 and E-3) cope with the smaller sensor size very well (especially the E-3).

2) image stabilization is in the camera. I consider this very desirable, and eliminated the Canons from my consideration
IS on the Olympus E-520 is excellent, and should provide you with an additional 3 stops of light. Usually, the rule of thumb is not to shoot a subject with a focal length greater than the same shutter speed. So, if you are shooting with a 250mm lens, then the rule of thumb suggests that you should have at least a 1/250th second exposure. With the E-520, it could easily cope with 1/30th second, probably 1/16th. The E-3 provides a further two additional stops via IS so the 250mm shot can easily be taken at around 1/10th sec or less.

Do remember though that IS is no compensation for poor technique - you still need to get the feel of the camera to obtain the best results when using IS.

3) Improved Live View over the E-510. This can be useful, especially for macro photography.

The Live View on the E-520 has focus view, on the E-510 it doesn't.

I do agree that the lack of lenses for the Olympus system is a concern. However, the 70-300mm lens seems to meet most of my requirements. Of course, you can always use more magnification, and then the Sigma 50-500 is available. Unfortunately, the Sigma 135-400 is supposedly no longer available for Oly 4:3 mount, which is too bad. It is smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the 50-500, and would be a great option for more magnification. There have been mixed reports about the Oly 1.4 teleconverter in conjunction with the 70-300 lens, and it is kind of pricey, but it is another option.

Also, too bad that Tamron, Tokina, etc don't seem to make lenses for Oly 4:3 mount. But then, as I've said, the existing Olympus line of lenses seems to cover things pretty well.

What lenses do you feel are missing...? I believe there are a full range of lenses available for all focal lengths. Also, don't forget that with the kit lenses, you are getting the best kit lenses provided with any camera make - the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm are superb lenses for kit lenses. Oly glass is second to none.

As to using the Oly 1.4x with the 70-300mm - take a look at my Puffin shots here - http://www.reflectingme.com/p28339871/ - which were all taken with the 70-300mm plus 1.4x - there's simply no issue with it at all.

Hope you enjoy your E-520, shout if I can help.

MusicMan

Given my weight concerns, do you think I can still be very happy with the e-520? It looks like a great camera for the money. It is not weather sealed like the E-3, which is a concern for my trip to Costa Rica. However, I suppose i can just take a break and put the camera in a plastic bag if it rains. Also, I get 3.5 fps rather than 5 fps and don't get ISO 3200. However, considering where I'm coming from (Point and Click with 3 megapixels) I would think it would be a major step up and still meet my weight limitations.

Will the 70-300mm hold up under low light conditions I will find in the rain forest in Costa Rica in January?

Thanks!

If you are worried about weight, you probably don't want an E-3. It is quite large, as large as a Canon 40D (800 g - 1.8 lbs). For a pretty surprising picture comparing it in size to an E-510, go here and scroll down a few screens:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse3/

Nice camera for sure, but a real handful, even if the lenses are small.

What lenses do you feel are missing...? I believe there are a full range of lenses available for all focal lengths.
Well, I cannot find a 400mm lens, prime or zoom, assuming that Sigma really has discontinued the 135-400 zoom. It appears to me that the largest magnification that Olympus makes is 300 (the 70-300mm we've been discussing). I don't see a 300mm prime. It would be nice if Olympus made an inexpensive zoom with 400 top.

They do seem to have the lower magnification levels fully covered (although sometimes with VERY expensive, pro-level lenses).

Also, there are a lot of 28-300mm zoom lenses coming out (Tamron, etc). These are no doubt compromise lenses, doing a lot in a mediocre fashion (like a superzoom camera), but they are a nice option to have.

I agree your puffin pics are very nice. I guess I'd rather have the option of a 400mm lens (in a zoom, preferably) than spend the money on a teleconverter, especially given the loss of light they cause. But I probably will wind up getting one, especially seeing your excellent shots.

Last edited:
To be fair, I seem to remember that back in my film SLR days in the 70s that 400mm lenses were often oddball items made by the cheaper lens manufacturers (Tamron and knockoffs of Tamron, etc). So perhaps it isn't surprising that currently there doesn't seem to be one available for 4:3 mount. I'm guessing that Pentax doesn't have one either.

another E3 user here and love the camera,, been a Nikon user for 40+ years and bought an Oly,, extremely good glass,, I do have a Nikon P5000 for some of my digascoping,,

take a look at this site, one of the better if not the best for 4/3 (OLY) cameras,,

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/

agree on the 520 for a walking camera and lens if your wanting to keep the weight low,, if you want to really get long on the glass you will need to go other than Oly,, they do make a 300mm prime but it is a pro lens and very costly,, would think Sigma and Tamron offer long lens for fair cost,, IQ may not be the best at the long length (at times),, you can also find some older manual OM (OLY) lens and use a 4/3 to OM adapter although it is a manual mode for shooting and still have the IS working,, the camera can be set up and told the mm length of lens you are using,,

I have Olys 35-100 / 50-200 / 12-60 / 35mm / 1.4-TC and find I can do about 98% of what I want to photograph,, for those longer bird shots I mount the E3 on my TV85 scope (1200mm to 1680mm fov) or use the P5000 though one of my TV eyepieces for about any power (X) I may need,,

Hi Derry

I agree, 4/3 photo is an excellent site, but don't forget fourthirds-user, and especially the excellent e-group.uk.net which is specifically for E-Series Olympus users.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back