• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May 20th, a Sylvia at Landguard Point, Suffolk (1 Viewer)

I was advised that the amount of white on the immediate inner rectrice suggested as such by a Dutch birder on the forum, also the white tip to the next (3rd) inner and the extent of the brown wash over nape and crown?

Cheers

So it wasn't submitted? Which subspecies did you think it was?

It looks like a pretty bog standard curruca to me, but as I stated earlier, I'm only familiar with 3 of the subspecies, and far from any kind of expert.
Here is what was probably a halimodendri some friends and I stumbled on a few years ago for comparison - quite a different beast, and with what I would consider a brown wash over the nape and extending onto the crown...

Attachments

• IMG_7429.jpg
    IMG_7429.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7428.jpg
    IMG_7428.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 89
So it wasn't submitted? Which subspecies did you think it was?

It looks like a pretty bog standard curruca to me, but as I stated earlier, I'm only familiar with 3 of the subspecies, and far from any kind of expert.
Here is what was probably a halimodendri some friends and I stumbled on a few years ago for comparison - quite a different beast, and with what I would consider a brown wash over the nape and extending onto the crown...

Daniel, the flying image of LW was purely for comparison purposes with the subject bird ie blue grey v mid brown, isn't that somewhat anomolous for a camera sensor?

Regarding expertise with this particular group, I believe that it would be a brave individual(s) to step forward and claim as such, having read that Lesser Whitethroat is broadly speaking a ''ring complex of five clades that overlap and are seamlessly joined, thus I suspect that confusion will reign for some time yet?

As far as the flying shot is concerned, It was suggested to me (and this might be open to interpretation) that the amount of white visible is on R6-5 or R6-4 depending on how you read it?

Yes, your shots to my eye do look like halimodendri and fwiw, I had one a few years back on Oct 4th. which when first seen I thought ''Desert Warbler'' before seeing the head pattern.

The real thrust of this thread was to clear the air regarding the initial shout and subsequent recall with apologies to anybody that went for it, hopefully the images will show that there was good intent on my part. Having to leave site at 4pm left me in a somewhat invidious position, do I give it the shout or quietly forget it, seemingly damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Cheers

Last edited:
If it gets you three County Firsts...then stringing is for me!

Presumably you're in double digits now? ;)

Three firsts doesn't mean you don't make things up. This was never a Subalpine Warbler and yet again your overactive imagination has led you to the wrong conclusion. You'll call it shooting from the hip, I call it stringing. You got a trip to the coast in so obviously for such an expert birder finding rares there is like shooting fish in a barrel. I thought you didn't believe in record committees?

Three firsts doesn't mean you don't make things up. This was never a Subalpine Warbler and yet again your overactive imagination has led you to the wrong conclusion. You'll call it shooting from the hip, I call it stringing. You got a trip to the coast in so obviously for such an expert birder finding rares there is like shooting fish in a barrel. I thought you didn't believe in record committees?

Let’s get this straight, are you accusing me of making things up?

Yes, he appears to be zero at putting anything on the table, and disproportionately big on critique......:eek!:

Par for the course for a great many of the Liberal persuasion it seems, all the questions and criticisms yet none of the answers.

Par for the course for a great many of the Liberal persuasion it seems, all the questions and criticisms yet none of the answers.

With respect Andy, at least one "lefty" - yours truly - has provided in depth answers to each of the questions posed concerning identification, so I'm not entirely sure that is a fair comment?

Over and out comrade.

With respect Andy, at least one "lefty" - yours truly - has provided in depth answers to each of the questions posed concerning identification, so I'm not entirely sure that is a fair comment?

Over and out comrade.

I'd feel I owed an apology if I'd said 'all' Daniel....?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back