Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eastern Poland 2016 online (GPS Guide)

Old Sunday 17th June 2018, 22:41   #1
benmacdonald

Eastern Poland 2016 online (GPS Guide)

Following yesterday's upload, I'm pleased to say Eastern Poland (April 2016) is now online via my website (search Ben Macdonald and go to Birds section, navigate to bottom of page). Hopefully it will make its way here in due course.

Full GPS details as always. Detailed and up to date information on finding the key resident species of eastern Poland namely:

- Hazel Grouse
- Great Spotted Eagle
- Lesser Spotted Eagle
- Great Snipe
- Pygmy Owl
- Tengmalm's Owl
- Black Woodpecker
- White-backed Woodpecker
- Three-toed Woodpecker
- Little Crake

There are admittedly dozens of eastern Poland trip reports out there. Planning for my own trip, they often infuriated me with mentions of 'the bridge at Budy' etc, 'the Barwik lek' etc, with assumption of much prior knowledge.

This report isn't groundbreaking, but will hopefully provide clear directions for anyone yet to have the wonderful experience of birding in eastern Poland, especially during the early spring period. There is particular detail on Great Spotted Eagle, a species people often seem to miss in Poland, and sections on how best to read/exploit the habitats in Bialowieza.

It also includes details on how best to see Elk and Bison, which are not hard animals but a magnificent sight and well worth incorporating into any trip.

B
Old Monday 18th June 2018, 14:51   #2
foresttwitcher

Ben, that report doesn't appear to be available - i.e. not possible to click for a link!

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Monday 18th June 2018, 18:30   #3
benmacdonald

Pete. NOW ONLINE. My uploader has been giving me a few issues recently. Hope you find it useful.

B
Old Monday 18th June 2018, 19:16   #4
Deb Burhinus

Hi Ben

I was a little concerned before I clicked on the link after reading gps for GSE etc But good to see the warning you added to the notes, which all look very helpful and not too specific for possible nest locations. I been fortunate to connect with most of these in Southern Poland, with the exception of WB Woodie and GSE but will find your report very useful for Bialowieza.

(Love the book cover btw)
Old Monday 18th June 2018, 19:43   #5
foresttwitcher

Thanks Ben, a good report - as a forester I found your description of the forests particularly interesting.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Monday 18th June 2018, 20:13   #6
benmacdonald

Thanks Deb - rest assured I've kept the GSE eagle sites vague enough that people can view the birds without disturbing nests. Glad you found it helpful. Yes, the cover took a long time to get right, rather like bringing back Dalmatian Pelicans to the Levels I would predict... B
Old Monday 18th June 2018, 20:42   #7
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmacdonald View Post
... Yes, the cover took a long time to get right, rather like bringing back Dalmatian Pelicans to the Levels I would predict... B
Springwatch from ‘Lake Kerkini’ near Bristol - that would be something!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: