• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surveys (1 Viewer)

WJC

There continues to be a lot of talk concerning image brightness, mostly focusing on this or that survey. I am not qualified to be an arbiter here—nor do I want to be. But I would like to pour a cup of reason on the fire of debate.

There are two kinds of surveys at work here:

The individual or individuals making comments concerning looks, feel, size, weight, workings of the focus mechanism, hinge, eyecups, and their personal PERCEPTIONS of aberrations and performance.

And yet, so many of the people who DEMAND clinical DATA cling to the words of these people whose observations might be miles (multiply by 1.61 for my British and European friends) from clinical. And what makes you think their perceptions are any better than yours? ‘Because they made it into a magazine?

Are the opinions of these people worthwhile? Abso-darn-lutely! But, please realize their boundary of clinical knowledge does not offer the level of understanding so many clamor for and that those who really KNOW what is going on stay away from these bino forums in droves because they don’t want to get into peeing contests with the brash but clueless who rely on this or that survey from someone who saw a binocular more than once.

I am certainly not qualified to shed light on so many topics. But, while I did have an excellent BS meter, the needle has hit the stop so many times it’s gotten wrapped around.

People having a misaligned bino may say their bino won’t focus. They speak of brightness in terms of raw light TRANSMISSION when perceived brightness may be laid at the feet of CONTRAST. And what about RESOLUTION? You might have a dimmer image that is perceived to be brighter because the image is crisper due to an increase in RESOLUTION.

If you are not happy with your bino ... buy another. For, as one BRILLIANT, but incredibly HUMBLE, American optical wannabe has said:

Different test performed at different times with different subjects having different ranges of accommodation for different visual acuities under different conditions will produce different results.

Or, as Aristotle said back in 341 BC ... “Get a bloody grip and go out and look at some birds.” :cat:

Just a thought.

Bill

PS Get a photometer for Christmas. They're on the frozen food isle at Wal Mart.

Last edited:
"If you are not happy with your bino ... buy another."

Good advice. My problem is I keep buying another, and another, and another, and another, and another............:king:

Last edited:
Bill, are you trying to cure us of this irrational fascination with our gear? Yes, we must seem a rather foolish, obsessed lot, but I go with the 'grain of salt' approach about the whole thing. There's some good folks on here, you among 'em. And I appreciate you screaming bullshit periodically in the barroom din of all the subjective blather. A simple way to make light of it, is to just substitute an article of clothing, like shoes, every time you see the word binocular. Then it all makes much more sense...
I think it all boils down to the inert object vs. the subjective human experience with that object... "How does it work for me?" followed by years of opinions that differ... No end in sight, either. ;-)

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, are you trying to cure us of this irrational fascination with our gear? Yes, we must seem a rather foolish, obsessed lot, but I go with the 'grain of salt' approach about the whole thing. There's some good folks on here, you among 'em. And I appreciate you screaming bullshit periodically in the barroom din of all the subjective blather. A simple way to make light of it, is to just substitute an article of clothing, like shoes, every time you see the word binocular. Then it all makes much more sense...
I think it all boils down to the inert object vs. the subjective human experience with that object... "How does it work for me?" followed by years of opinions that differ... No end in sight, either. ;-)

Cheers,

Bill

Of course, you are right! 'Sad thing is that the thin-skinned who don't know me will get the impression that it really matters to me. I'm a 66-year old guy who's been away from the bench for NINE YEARS and whose optical work has been relegated to writing articles. I just feel the urge to shake the tree from time to time so that some of the loose nuts will fall out and the rest may have a more realistic perspective on some things. Over time, that might be beneficial to the honest in heart. And those who are not honest in heart should take a long walk on a short pier, preferably at Qaanaaq, Greenland ... in February. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:

Good advice. My problem is I keep buying another, and another, and another, and another, and another............:king:

Then work on the other side of the equation, that is, not on the bins, but on being happy o:D

Just joking

Last edited:
Bill,

I have been on this forum for a few weeks, and have gained some insightful knowledge from members on the forum. I find the wit and humor from folks here in the US and from across the pond sometimes so funny I have chocked on my coffee. I value your opinions and enjoy your writing style and humor. I hope you stick around and don't become one of those who stay in droves.

Regards,

Andy W.

Binocular Song! (apologies to "Yip" Harburg)

Oh my heart is beating wildly and it's all because its here.
When I'm not near the bin I love, I love the bin I'm near.
Every bin that flutters by me is a flame that must be fanned,
When I can't fondle the bin I'm fond of, I fondle the bin at hand
My heart's in a pickle, it's constantly fickle and not too particular I fear,
When I'm not near the bin I love, I love the bin I'm near!:king:

Bob

Fascinating when frivolous parody reveals deep insight into the human condition... ;-)

Well done!

Bill

Binocular Song! (apologies to "Yip" Harburg)

Oh my heart is beating wildly and it's all because its here.
When I'm not near the bin I love, I love the bin I'm near.
Every bin that flutters by me is a flame that must be fanned,
When I can't fondle the bin I'm fond of, I fondle the bin at hand
My heart's in a pickle, it's constantly fickle and not too particular I fear,
When I'm not near the bin I love, I love the bin I'm near!:king:

Bob

:t::t:

"I'm so vain I think this song is about me"

edj

:t::t:

"I'm so vain I think this song is about me"

edj

Now, Edj ... you're showing your age. So, just take some of

Jeremiah Peabody's polyunsaturated, quick dissolving, fast acting, pleasant tasting, green and purple pills ... from 9 years earlier. That can make you safe from other things, too. Remember Hugh Barrett reminds us there was a fungus among us. ;)

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

I have been on this forum for a few weeks, and have gained some insightful knowledge from members on the forum. I find the wit and humor from folks here in the US and from across the pond sometimes so funny I have chocked on my coffee. I value your opinions and enjoy your writing style and humor. I hope you stick around and don't become one of those who stay in droves.

Regards,

Andy W.

Thanks, Andy; that was kind. You obviously have no taste. But, hey, we can't have everything ... except for Bill Gates, who's still saving up for a Nikon WX. :cat:

Bill

The ones that really frost my [deleted] are the ones that say "B is a better binocular than A is, but we have downgraded it because it costs so much. We proclaim A the 'winner' of all the ones we tested."

What an absolute crock.

The ones that really frost my [deleted] are the ones that say "B is a better binocular than A is, but we have downgraded it because it costs so much. We proclaim A the 'winner' of all the ones we tested."

What an absolute crock.

I have been fighting that battle for decades.

INSANITY: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting DIFFERENT results.

Bill

What will Bill Gates pay for a mass produced WX 10X I wonder.

Andy W.

His would probably be free, just so they could say “Even Bill Gates uses our product.” Heck, you never know when a celebrity shot will come in handy. :cat:

Attachments

• billnye2 copy 2.jpg
    billnye2 copy 2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
On the strength of some of this advice I am replacing my violin. Clearly the improvement this will bring about will stop the local dogs howling and kids throwing rocks at me.

On the strength of some of this advice I am replacing my violin. Clearly the improvement this will bring about will stop the local dogs howling and kids throwing rocks at me.

Are you replacing with a new model, or "retiring' the violin ?

Jerry

If it's one of those old beat-up jobs from Cremona send it to me and I'll supply you a brand new one with all the latest improvements. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back