• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7X26 (1 Viewer)

dries1

Here is one I have no clue about, sending them in for a proper three point collimation to Suddarth. Does anyone have any info on them, date of manufacture, etc.
They provide quite a nice view for their age, optics are crystal clear.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF5330.jpg
    DSCF5330.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 117
Thanks Binastro and John, I hardly see these - and wondering what year, I have not found any info. I have seen the 9X30 but only on the bay.

Andy W.

Here is one I have no clue about, sending them in for a proper three point collimation to Suddarth. Does anyone have any info on them, date of manufacture, etc.
They provide quite a nice view for their age, optics are crystal clear.

Andy W.

Andy,

The H-line: 7x26D/9x30D and 12x40CF were introduced in 1976.

Compact dach Binoculars 6x20DCF, 8x20DCF were introduced in 1978.

12x36DCF were introduced in 1979.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the info, I should have known you would have the pertinent Nikon info. I wonder if Nikon had brochures of them.

Andy W.

I got the information from a Nikon Product History page I have had since 2005. It is long gone from their website now.

I recall that they were rather expensive. I remember that they cost over $300.00 back in those days from places like B&H. Too rich for my blood then. I was investing in Hardy Fly Reels any way!:king: I hadn't heard of phase coatings then either.

The 7x35E, 8x30E and 10x35E were introduced in 1978 and I think they cost less and probably were a heck of a lot better but that was 40 years ago.

Bob

Andy,

Bob's right about the price. I found the 9x30 Execulite in an old dealer price list from about 1988 for exactly $300. By then only the 9x30 and 12x36 were still available. I would call them mid-priced. In the same list the Leitz 8x32 Trinovid was $688, the Zeiss 8x30 Dialyt was $658 and the only high end Nikon roof of the time, the 8x40 Classic Eagle, was $617.

I doubt that you will continue to have a very high opinion of the Execulite. I only ever saw the 9x30, but I thought it was pretty bad; no phase coatings, no multi-coatings and I suspect aluminum mirror coating.

Henry

PS. I see that the 7x26 was already gone from a 1983 Nikon brochure. The 9x30 specs from a 1986 brochure give it 10.9mm eye relief. The 7x26 was probably the same.

Last edited:
...I doubt that you will continue to have a very high opinion of the Execulite. I only ever saw the 9x30, but I thought it was pretty bad; no phase coatings, no multi-coatings and I suspect aluminum mirror coating...

Yes, but they were built/assembled so beautifully, and were mechanically precise, smooth. I love the metal focus wheel and metal diopter ring. Some design aspects were inherited by the Nikon 8x40 Classic Eagle, which has a beautifully flat field but, alas, poor transmission and no phase coating. Still, the Execulite were competitive and in some ways superior to the Leica and Zeiss roof-prism competition, which at the time also lacked phase coating.

--AP

Last edited:
Thanks, Binastro, Bob, John, Henry and Alexis for the info on the "Execulite" . I look forward to viewing them after getting them aligned and tuned up. The rubber is almost brand new on them. Henry, you are right about the optics, there is evident field curvature at the field stop but the contrast was OK on axis, not a bad little solid glass, they will go nicely with my Nikon E Collection.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back