• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The story behind a new nature reserve. (1 Viewer)

trw

I've posted a couple of threads about a new nature reserve established in the Silverdale area.
Today I met the man behind it all, a successful businessman, entrepreneur and farmer.
Remarkably he had no knowledge or interest in nature but felt he wanted to give something back in return for the good life he'd enjoyed.
He took advice from bird, butterfly and nature experts and converted some marginal farmland he owned into a large wetland area. Adjacent was an overgrown, impenetrable, birdless wood which was cleared out creating a network of paths and areas of less dense woodland.
Nest boxes were installed in the wood, including one for a Tawny Owl and another one which was taken up by a pair of Barn Owl.
The work was completed in time for Spring and a local birdwatcher recorded, 'Very successful first spring.
Lapwing 6 pairs 11 young seen recently and 2 pairs still incubating.
Mallard at least 4 broods.
Little Grebe 1 pair incubating
Tufted Duck female with 7 young today
Marsh and Coal Tit successful in nest boxes.'
Recently up to 500 Common Teal have settled here[ there were 250 today].
Other birds seen regularly are Marsh Harrier, Kestrel and Buzzard.
Up to 2 Garganey have been spotted this Autumn and today, there were 2 Shoveller and 2 Common Snipe.
The woodland is a revelation with healthy numbers of tits and finches as well as regular sightings of Marsh Tit, Treecreeper and Greater Spotted Woodpecker. I saw a passing Spotted Flycatcher by the car park on my last visit.
A remarkable, heart-warming story!

Last edited:
What a great story this is! Some great successes already.

Is this new reserve 'beside' Leighton Moss, or quite separate from it Pratincol?

What a great story this is! Some great successes already.

Is this new reserve 'beside' Leighton Moss, or quite separate from it Pratincol?
No, its about three miles from there, near Beetham.
It's a similar tale to a large lake created by a farmer, not far from here.
A fields were always flooding and useless for farming, so he created a dam and the land soon developed into a lake.
He grew fond of the Wigeon which come here every year[as well as Teal,Mallard, Kingfisher, Grey Heron, Goosander, Moorhen, Coot etc], and when some local shooters asked him if they could shoot here he told them to get lost. He was an ex-shooter himself.

Last edited:
This field opposite Fell End wasn't much use for anything and it is good he has used some of his wealth to create a reserve.
I doubt it will be as intensively managed as Leighton Moss but might be the better for it.

makes and nice change to hear someone putting back rather than taking from nature.

It is people like this who should be getting the gongs in the honours lists rather than fat cat industrialists.

Lets hope that the wildlife, and many people enjoy the fruits of his labours for years to come

makes and nice change to hear someone putting back rather than taking from nature.

It is people like this who should be getting the gongs in the honours lists rather than fat cat industrialists.

Lets hope that the wildlife, and many people enjoy the fruits of his labours for years to come

I was there the other day. There was about 175 Common Teal, 2 Shoveller, 2 Wigeon, a few Mallard and Moorhen.
A pair of Marsh Tit was in the woods, with a party of Long tail Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Nutach and a Chiffchaff.
The owner has enlisted the help of a number of naturalists.I met one of them on my visit, and he was telling me how he has made suggestions to improve the woodland to attract more insects, butterflies and birds. He also had some good ideas about attracting more breeding Lapwing on the edge of the pool for next Spring.

Yes very true, and its rare to get such people Involved in such projects Its very welcomeing news Indeed.

I was there the other day. There was about 175 Common Teal, 2 Shoveller, 2 Wigeon, a few Mallard and Moorhen.
A pair of Marsh Tit was in the woods, with a party of Long tail Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Nutach and a Chiffchaff.
The owner has enlisted the help of a number of naturalists.I met one of them on my visit, and he was telling me how he has made suggestions to improve the woodland to attract more insects, butterflies and birds. He also had some good ideas about attracting more breeding Lapwing on the edge of the pool for next Spring.

Reminds me of a line from a certain film "if you build it they will come"

It is amazing how nature manages to colonise habitats if they are there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back