• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looks Like It Could Be A Killer! (1 Viewer)

As a nice pocket camera most certainly. As a digiscoping camera, it remains to be seen. The lens is physically big/long, so will only play nice with the Kowa/NikonEDG 25x LER eyepieces. Useful effective range of fl=1250 to 2500mm F6-11ish, with the theoretical optimal fl=~900mm, BELOW the useful range!

Compare that to the Nikon P300/310 lens that can be used with most 30x Wide OEM eyepieces allowing for a useful effective range of fl=1050-3000mm F2.5-7ish with a theoretical optimal fl=~1750mm.

So will the larger, higher rez sensor of the RX100 make up for the effective ~2 stop slower lens (compared to the P300/310) for our digiscoping purposes? At this point, I'd say probably so. Certainly the power zoom lens will make it more digisoping friendly than the manual zooms of the Nikon V1 and Fuji X10 and its significantly higher rez will allow for larger crops. Hopefully, we are seeing what the next Nikon 1 V2/J2 sensor will be?

Finally, the $695 price tag is alot of cabbage for just a point-n-shoot, albeit a very nice one! Frankly, I'd rather shoot the Nikon V1/F1 adapter kit with a 70-200mm F2.8 zoom or 300mm F2.8 and 1.4x/2x TCs and avoid all the digiscoping connection hassles while having full AF and VR capability as well as the posibility of shooting handheld.

Last edited:
I've digiscoped with an Oly C60, Sony DSC w300 and presently a Canon S95. It has been quite a ride, love the Canon but after using the Sony I knew I would miss the 13 MP for cropping.

I've also made adapters for all my cameras and on the Canon went out of my way connecting (a soft connection) the big camera ring to the EP. The variation in distance between the EP and camera varied for different telephoto settings. In a manner it worked and I always used it so I am looking forward to see if the principle might also work with the RX100.

I'm looking forward to trying the RX on my Kowa 883

I had a play with the RX100 in one of my local stores last weekend.
It looks like a beefed up Canon S100 and is well featured.
I held it up to the Zeiss 85 mm zoom eyepiece at the 20x and vignetting disappeared around 50% into the zoom.
It has possiblitlies.
Neil

I have looked from afar at this camera with some interest.

One of the "features" is apparently a dial around the lens for adjusting settings. This is also the case on the Canopn S95 and S100. I would be keen to know if users of those cameras find this is a problem for digiscoping.

I currently use a Nikpn P300, with a very similar look to these cameras but the wide lens surround is just decoration, making it a very useful thing to attach my homemade adaptor to. The same style of adaptor on either Canon or apparently the new Sony would mean little or no access to the around-the-lens-dial.

Ian

Ian said- One of the "features" is apparently a dial around the lens for adjusting settings. This is also the case on the Canopn S95 and S100. I would be keen to know if users of those cameras find this is a problem for digiscoping.
Ian, somplace in this thread it shows sony's adapter which has a barrel going up to the camera body - they solved the problem by cutting away part of the barrel there by allowing access to the ring.

I've used the s95 but built my own adapter, tube over tube type with the camera tube attached to camera at the tripod socket. I modified the design on this adapter so there is a soft connection between the camera tube and camera ring allowing rotation of the camera ring by simply rotating the outside barrel. I usually had the camera ring set on zoom and never ran into a conflict. With the canon the rear ring could be changed to zoom also which I used several times. Many options going on with these birds - best to try.

I've used the s95 but built my own adapter, tube over tube type with the camera tube attached to camera at the tripod socket. I modified the design on this adapter so there is a soft connection between the camera tube and camera ring allowing rotation of the camera ring by simply rotating the outside barrel.

Thanks Josef, very useful.

As a nice pocket camera most certainly. As a digiscoping camera, it remains to be seen. The lens is physically big/long, so will only play nice with the Kowa/NikonEDG 25x LER eyepieces. Useful effective range of fl=1250 to 2500mm F6-11ish, with the theoretical optimal fl=~900mm, BELOW the useful range!

Compare that to the Nikon P300/310 lens that can be used with most 30x Wide OEM eyepieces allowing for a useful effective range of fl=1050-3000mm F2.5-7ish with a theoretical optimal fl=~1750mm.
Hi,
I am curious regarding how you calculate the "theoretical optimal FL".
/Tord

Basically the resolution of the camera/resolution of the scope. It is relative to the camera fl and lens aperture that allows the resolving limit of the camera sensor/lens system to ~equal the resolving limit of the scope at any given scope magnification. Calculating factors involve knowing sensor pixel size and subtense. It is not difficult math, just tendious due to the interations. I have a spreadsheet that does it.

Has anyone on here given the RX100 a proper go yet? It looks like a nice pocket camera for general use and if it can work for digiscoping too would definitely tempt me.

Now I wonder how the full-frame RX1 will perform? Fast 35mm lens and cable release compatible.

Aside from the price tag I think the other issue might be the limited magnification offered by a true 35mm lens. It does look a bit of a beast though and presumably will lead to a full frame mirrorless camera.

I bought a Kowa 25LER for my 883 just to try the rx100 when it arrived, but none of the stores have it so far. For now I'll be content just modifying my Canon s95 adapter to the new EP.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back