• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Steve,
With my setup the vignetting is worse with the 20x as it's Eye Relief is shorter than the other eyepieces. I'm using the DCA Zoom with the fixed eyepieces. It needs a fixed lens. I'm in Sydney at the moment and don't have the test results with me to check how bad it is though.
Neil.

Thanks, Niel.

So it would seem that you can only use the G1 and kit lens with the Swaro 30x and 45x without vignetting? Is this all the way through the kit lens zoom range? Or is there vignetting some way through?

And just to make sure, with the Swaro 20-60x zoom, you get vignetting all the way through the zoom range of the kit lens when the eyepiece is set at 20x?

I have also probably just missed this elsewhere, but is the G1 kit lens internal focus? I really wish all short range DSLR lenses were - it would make digiscoping with them SO much easier!

Best wishes

Steve

Thanks, Niel.

So it would seem that you can only use the G1 and kit lens with the Swaro 30x and 45x without vignetting? Is this all the way through the kit lens zoom range? Or is there vignetting some way through?

And just to make sure, with the Swaro 20-60x zoom, you get vignetting all the way through the zoom range of the kit lens when the eyepiece is set at 20x?

I have also probably just missed this elsewhere, but is the G1 kit lens internal focus? I really wish all short range DSLR lenses were - it would make digiscoping with them SO much easier!

Best wishes

Steve

Steve,
Some of this was covered in the first post of this thread. The 14 - 45 mm zoom is internally focusing so the adapter can screw straight into the filter thread. There is too much vignetting with the zoom eyepiece at all settings. With the an eyepiece of 18 + mm of Eye Relief ( SW 30 and 45x ) there is no vignetting from 16 - 25 mm using the DCA Zoom. This is not particularly high magnification on the 30x ( equivalent to 900 - 1500 mm ) so I use the 45x a lot.
Let's hope we get an internally focusing fixed lens for it.
Neil.

Steve,
Some of this was covered in the first post of this thread. The 14 - 45 mm zoom is internally focusing so the adapter can screw straight into the filter thread. There is too much vignetting with the zoom eyepiece at all settings. With the an eyepiece of 18 + mm of Eye Relief ( SW 30 and 45x ) there is no vignetting from 16 - 25 mm using the DCA Zoom. This is not particularly high magnification on the 30x ( equivalent to 900 - 1500 mm ) so I use the 45x a lot.
Let's hope we get an internally focusing fixed lens for it.
Neil.

Any idea when this is likely to happen Neil? I'm currently using a P5100 which I'm very happy with but the stats of the G1 impress me and I could see the potential is enormous should the right lens come along, hopefully compatible with the Swaro zoom.

The G1 looks really promising for digiscoping and since I'm looking for a camera I have some questions:
- Since I own a DCB-A: can the G1 mounted with the kit zoom (or how long is the distance from mounting thread to the front of the lense)?
- Is the kit zoom usable with the Swaro 25-50 Wide eyepiece (the only eyepiece I own)? The data seems to be comparable to the 30 or 45 fixed eyepieces.

The G1 seems to have good prices now, because the GH1 starts. Additionally a cash back action is running by Panasonic in Germany.

G1 with Swarovski DCB

The G1 just fits on the DCB - and it leaves just enough space to zoom in past the vignetting - (using the Swarovski 30x eyepiece).

Mind you, I'm not sure I'd want to use the DCB with a camera this heavy, I'm not sure it would hold the camera in place while swung up away from the eyepiece, if you were carrying the telescope around all day.

Attachments

• G1DCB.JPG
    G1DCB.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 325
Thanks for your answers. The cashback action is only for some shops so the G1 is out of my price range for now. I start now with a new and cheap A590IS and can upgrade later, may be to a GH1. The UCA will fit better I guess.

Thanks for your answers. The cashback action is only for some shops so the G1 is out of my price range for now. I start now with a new and cheap A590IS and can upgrade later, may be to a GH1. The UCA will fit better I guess.

I've been testing various cameras again with the new Swarovski zoom eyepiece . I've found the older Canon A640 is easier to use than the A590 . The rotatable screen helps a lot outdoors and the AF seems more accurate. A lot more keepers. The lens seems better at longer distance too for cutting through haze. I would recommend a used A640 over a new A590IS.
Neil.

Just curious guys,
Would this 25mm prime lens work well on the G1 for disgiscoping?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484209-REG/

And a second, unrelated question, if I were to get a G1 and try to use it with a Leica Televid 62mm scope, any ideas on the best adapter set-up?

It's been a while since I have done any digiscoping, but looking at the fine examples Neil has posted it makes me think about getting back to it.

--Dave
http://flickr.com/photos/passerine

Last edited:
Just curious guys,
Would this 25mm prime lens work well on the G1 for disgiscoping?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484209-REG/

And a second, unrelated question, if I were to get a G1 and try to use it with a Leica Televid 62mm scope, any ideas on the best adapter set-up?

It's been a while since I have done any digiscoping, but looking at the fine examples Neil has posted it makes me think about getting back to it.

--Dave
http://flickr.com/photos/passerine

Dave,
It's an excellent lens and I would love to have one. Main complaint in the comments was size and weight. This may make it a bit heavy to hang off the eyepiece. I'm not sure if it's internally focusing or not but you want to be able to AF with it so worth finding out.
It would go well on some sort of balance bar/rail with independent support for the camera.
The kit zoom is internally focusing so gives a 52 mm thread to screw onto any adapter and retain AF, the Olympus 25/2.8 P won't when connected this way ( 43 mm thread ).
Neil.

Neil/all,

I am enquiring on behalf of a birding friend who has an old style (grey metal)Swarovski AT80 HD (straight through). He has just bought the G1 and I guess needs to know does the G1 standard lens need to be removed or does the adaptor screw into the front of the lens (52mm) and then direct to his existing eagle-eye adaptor (which from memory is 28mm) as he used to use it, say with a Coolpix 995?

I use an SRB Griturn adaptor with a Sony W210 but the G1 is more of an SLR if I have understood correctly.

Thanks in advance

S.

Dave,
It's an excellent lens and I would love to have one. Main complaint in the comments was size and weight. This may make it a bit heavy to hang off the eyepiece. I'm not sure if it's internally focusing or not but you want to be able to AF with it so worth finding out.
It would go well on some sort of balance bar/rail with independent support for the camera.
The kit zoom is internally focusing so gives a 52 mm thread to screw onto any adapter and retain AF, the Olympus 25/2.8 P won't when connected this way ( 43 mm thread ).
Neil.

Neil/all,

I am enquiring on behalf of a birding friend who has an old style (grey metal)Swarovski AT80 HD (straight through). He has just bought the G1 and I guess needs to know does the G1 standard lens need to be removed or does the adaptor screw into the front of the lens (52mm) and then direct to his existing eagle-eye adaptor (which from memory is 28mm) as he used to use it, say with a Coolpix 995?

I use an SRB Griturn adaptor with a Sony W210 but the G1 is more of an SLR if I have understood correctly.

Thanks in advance

S.

Stuart,
He needs to get an Eagle Eye 52 mm adapter which would screw straight into the filter thread in the front of the kit lens ( 14 - 45 mm ) . If he step ups the 28 mm to 52 mm it would increase the vignetting by adding a couple of mm distance. The kit zoom only works with the Sw 30x and 45x as the Eye Relief on the zoom is too short. You can mount the G1 with the new Swarovski UCA adatpter which gets the lens closer to the zoom eyepiece and will get some vignetting free positions but this is not ideal so a prime lens on the G1 will solve this problem (a 24/28/30/35/50 mm lens will work ).
Neil

Hi Neil,

Have you ever seen a 3rd party rail similar to your custom job? I used to own the Swarovski DCB but had issues with it and sold it.

I hope Dot Line comes out with a electronic remote release cable, the t shaped (plunger style) for the Panasonic G1. If anyone knows of a different brand please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi Neil,

Have you ever seen a 3rd party rail similar to your custom job? I used to own the Swarovski DCB but had issues with it and sold it.

I hope Dot Line comes out with a electronic remote release cable, the t shaped (plunger style) for the Panasonic G1. If anyone knows of a different brand please let me know.

Thanks!

I'm using the new Swarovski Telescope Rail and UCA adapter (universal) with the new zoom eyepiece and it's a great combo.
I have a Kowa one too but it's a bit more cumbersome and won't fit easily in a backpack so I've never used it in the field.
Neil.

Attachments

• digiscoping telescope rail_1550788.jpg
    digiscoping telescope rail_1550788.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 414
  • digiscoping UCA_1550787.jpg
    digiscoping UCA_1550787.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 691
Hi YellowBudgie,

Look at Feisol's web site and see if their rails will be what you want. http://www.feisol.net/release-plates-c-5.html

I have both the QP300 and the QP 400. I bought their release clamp also, since their rails are not as large as a Manfrotto release plate. I believe they are the same size as the Arca-Swiss plates. I use the QP400 for my Swarovski 80mm, while the QP300 is large enough for my Zeiss 65mm. You can measure your scope or lens to see which will fill your needs.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Neil,

Thanks!

Many Thanks Neil,

I will pass on this message - doesn't sound like there is an easy alternative at the moment.

Stuart
Stuart,
He needs to get an Eagle Eye 52 mm adapter which would screw straight into the filter thread in the front of the kit lens ( 14 - 45 mm ) . If he step ups the 28 mm to 52 mm it would increase the vignetting by adding a couple of mm distance. The kit zoom only works with the Sw 30x and 45x as the Eye Relief on the zoom is too short. You can mount the G1 with the new Swarovski UCA adatpter which gets the lens closer to the zoom eyepiece and will get some vignetting free positions but this is not ideal so a prime lens on the G1 will solve this problem (a 24/28/30/35/50 mm lens will work ).
Neil

I'm using the new Swarovski Telescope Rail and UCA adapter (universal) with the new zoom eyepiece and it's a great combo.
I have a Kowa one too but it's a bit more cumbersome and won't fit easily in a backpack so I've never used it in the field.
Neil.

Thanks Neil,

I've heard people love that new Swaro eyepiece. Thanks for the info on the Swaro balancing rail. I caught a glimpse of it in the catalog at a bird store.

I love shooting with the G1 with the kit lens, I'm looking at the "Panasonic 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6 Lumix G Vario MEGA OIS Zoom Lens for Panasonic Digital SLR Cameras" Wondering if it's worth it hand holding wise.

Thanks!

Hi YellowBudgie,

Look at Feisol's web site and see if their rails will be what you want. http://www.feisol.net/release-plates-c-5.html

I have both the QP300 and the QP 400. I bought their release clamp also, since their rails are not as large as a Manfrotto release plate. I believe they are the same size as the Arca-Swiss plates. I use the QP400 for my Swarovski 80mm, while the QP300 is large enough for my Zeiss 65mm. You can measure your scope or lens to see which will fill your needs.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert,

I'll check the web site out. Thanks for the advice on the arca swiss mount advice. I think I have a arca swiss mount someplace but made for my Canon 40D. I have a few arca swiss adapters to change the manfrotto adapter to AS. It got too expensive so I stopped. Buying their mounts sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again!!!

Niel
I enjoyed your note about the Lumix G1, and got mine a few days ago.

However, you mention the kit lens being internally focussing. The length of the lens changes as you focus, so it is not internally focussing.

I have been trying to use it with a Kowa 881, and so far have not found it easy. I was hoping to be able to replace my d300 and 500mm vr.

Best wishes

Engbert

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back