• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

bit more done, this is starting to look like how I painted in 2000-2001.

Attachments

• debutjuin 010.jpg
    debutjuin 010.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 99
Hairdryers are the way to go when all the blending is done! I really like the merganser piece. There is a great sense of movement. The new one is really coming along as well. Maybe you should post some of your earlier stuff that you are talking about. There is a rawness and trueness to the first steps of paintings that I love and you really have it here. Looking forward to the finished piece!

Well here it is, I hardly recognise myself in it! But I like it for once.

Attachments

• debutjuin 011.jpg
    debutjuin 011.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 116
Hairdryers are the way to go when all the blending is done! I really like the merganser piece. There is a great sense of movement. The new one is really coming along as well. Maybe you should post some of your earlier stuff that you are talking about. There is a rawness and trueness to the first steps of paintings that I love and you really have it here. Looking forward to the finished piece!

I'll have to have a look for some of my earlier paintings when I visit my parents in August. I'll do a little retrospective of them, including my attempts at photo realism (you'll see why I abandoned lots of detail!)

I got up at 6:00am! FOOL! Here's todays sketches, going all goo goo, the redstarts have got babies! So have the green woodpeckers (too quick flying off through the trees to sketch).

So, we have: Goosander (no chicks seen today!) Redstart, baby redstarts (the void to the left is a Middle Spotted pecker - not part of the same scene obviously!), Lesser Spotted pecker (baby redstart again) and some Marsh Tits, note the flyover Hawfinch.

Attachments

• debutjuinchaudanne 020.jpg
    debutjuinchaudanne 020.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 109
  • debutjuinchaudanne 021.jpg
    debutjuinchaudanne 021.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 115
  • debutjuinchaudanne 022.jpg
    debutjuinchaudanne 022.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 109
  • debutjuinchaudanne 023.jpg
    debutjuinchaudanne 023.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 100
  • debutjuinchaudanne 024.jpg
    debutjuinchaudanne 024.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 104
Superb set of drawings again Nick. The goosander is tremendous - lovely colourwork, too - totally convincing bird. The foot-picking start is wonderfully observed as are the fledgelings - excellent studies.
I'm popping out right now to do some oystercatcher and arctic tern drawings (hopefully) - I can feel a birdy painting coming on.
It's Father's Day - so I can do as I bl**dy-well please!

Nice Nick. Like the imm. Redstarts a lot, Goosander is exceptional, all your work on this species is paying off. Really well drawn....

I don't know how I missed these latest drawings Nick, but I'm sure glad I,ve found 'em this morning.
Those redstarts are amazing, as is the goosander, and the marsh tits and... Oh, what am I saying... They're all brilliant.

Woody

Update from the dining room table. A whole weekend to go sketching and it rains (and the French have the nerve to say it rains all the time in Wales). So while I drink my cup of tea, curse the weather and think what I'll try to paint today, I thought I'd share a quote that applies to how my paintings are going at the moment, and one that I think captures perfectly the insane need to draw living, moving things:

"Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief, all kill their inspiration and then sing about the grief."

U2, The Fly, taken from Achtung Baby. One of the greatest songs of all time IMHO (and I say the same of any song that I like at one time or another).

Hopefully I'll post some paintings later rather than other people's lyrics!

Who was it that said 'The first brushstroke is always perfect, it's the next 10, 000 that spoil it' Or something like that.

I'm off out sketching tommorrow morning whether it rains or not! So there!

Woody

Here's my output for last night and today, not very inspired I have to say, more an exercise in 'banging' out a lot of paint:

Attachments

• DSCF3589.JPG
    DSCF3589.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF3588.JPG
    DSCF3588.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 97
and while I'm getting drunk on another cheap bottle of plonk, I'll reminisce and look at what I was doing 8 years ago at the tender age of 16. These are from Belvide Reservoir in Staffordshire, my local patch between 1997 and 2001. I miss this place, always something to sketch and hides.

Attachments

• DSCF3577.JPG
    DSCF3577.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF3578.JPG
    DSCF3578.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF3579.JPG
    DSCF3579.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF3581.JPG
    DSCF3581.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF3586.JPG
    DSCF3586.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 113
more: the Woodchat was at Sutton Park, West Midlands, the second ever record for the West Midlands region.

Attachments

• DSCF3580.JPG
    DSCF3580.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF3582.JPG
    DSCF3582.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF3583.JPG
    DSCF3583.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF3585.JPG
    DSCF3585.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF3584.JPG
    DSCF3584.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 104
16?! That is soooo not fair! I'd be very proud of work like this now, let alone when I was at the tender age of 16. You can go off people you know! ;)

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back