Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

western Bocas del Toro

Old Tuesday 24th July 2012, 21:11   #1
gdhunter

western Bocas del Toro

A friend & I are planning to visit Manzanillo (in Costa Rica, just north of Guabito) for a month early next year. We will concentrate our efforts on the lowland birding in that vicinity, but are considering a brief trip (2-3 days) into nearby western Bocas del Toro. Angehr's bird-finding guide (2008) suggests that Wekso Ecolodge near Changuinola may offer the best lowland forest birding in the province, but at least one blog I've read praises it for its mission but laments the execution (especially for those visitors who lack a mastery of the Spanish language).

Angehr does indicate that ODESEN can arrange transportation from Changuinola to Wekso for about $23 (US) per person (I'm assuming that's round-trip), which would simplify the logistics considerably. I'm hoping someone participating in this forum may pass along an observation about the accessibility of the lodge & the quality of the birding experience.

Two other alternatives might be considered: a 2-night stay on Isla Colon or a 1-day boat trip to Swan Cay (for Red-billed Tropicbird & other seabirds), presumably from Changuinola (unless we find that such trips are offered from the Manzanillo-Puerto Viejo area in Costa Rica).

Gary Hunter
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: