Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Panama report. May 7th-May 18th, 2014

Old Wednesday 18th June 2014, 02:47   #1
ManakusCR

Panama report. May 7th-May 18th, 2014

Hi dear fellow birders!
I finally finished my posts about my recent trip to Panama last May, I apologize for the brief descriptions and short texts, if further info is needed please PM so I can provide you more info if needed.

A little about the trip:

My wife and I are costarricans who had dreamed for a while to visit the nice beaches of Bocas del Toro area, but going to Panama and not birding there, it was not going to happen so our trip included beach, relax, birding, experiencing such a cosmopolitan city as Panama city, the canal and just the culture in general. Using A bird finding guide to Panama by G. Angehr, D. Engleman and L. Engleman made a big difference, the birds of Panama by Angehr and Lonely Planet as well as ebird, birdforum and various group members on the facebook group birds of Panama made this trip much easier and much more enjoyable.

The detailed info of our days are described on the following links:

Introduction:

Getting to Bocas del toro Crossing the boarder from CR by ground, getting to David city, then to Almirante and finally Bocas. Swan cay island in search for Red billed tropicbird.

Visiting playa estrella again. It includes Zapatillas islands and coral cay.

We dedicated our last day in Bocas to bird the road between La gruta to Bocas del Drago.

Getting from Bocas to the town of Gamboa, all in one night. Also visiting The summit nature park to see Panama; the harpy eagle.

Finally! pipeline road and summit ponds.

2ND day at Pipeline

Last day at Gamboa, checking the Chagres river

Parque nacional Metropolitano

I hope it helps anyone planing a trip to Panama (I am sure there are other much more complete posts but you never know . I also thought to post this contact: Guido Berguido http://www.advantagetours.com an excellent birding guide who also Runs Soberania lodge, a nice place to stay during your visit to Pipeline.
Old Wednesday 18th June 2014, 02:49   #2
ManakusCR

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5237/...c7131ec5_c.jpg
Old Thursday 19th June 2014, 03:04   #3
ptickner

Thanks for the post Johan. After a couple of enjoyable trips to CR, a trip to Panama is one that I've been thinking about.
Old Wednesday 25th June 2014, 16:03   #4
ManakusCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptickner View Post
Thanks for the post Johan. After a couple of enjoyable trips to CR, a trip to Panama is one that I've been thinking about.
No problem! Despite it was a short trip and it was not 100% birding the experience was really nice, to me it was a great introduction of the birding quality Panama offers, hopefully one day I can do Azuero for Azuero parakeet and of course El Darien area.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: