• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pitta-ish, stubby bird with big black eye. Quintana Roo, Mexico (1 Viewer)

sharifaone

I confess, I have NO idea what this bird is. I've looked through van Perlo at least 6 times, trying to pigeon-hole it ('scuse the pun!), but I am clearly missing something. All I can say is that it vaguely reminds me of a pitta in shape (not exactly, but that's the closest thing I can think of). I'm more certain with my "stubby jungle bird with a big black eye" category. Help!

1-PC252443.JPG

Oh, and literally, not half an hour ago I had written a note to myself about how very different the female Rose-throated Becard is from the male! Why I didn't recognize this one as the same is beyond me... except that perhaps its scrunched up posture made it seem short and stout.

Well, birding is definitely a way to keep me humble. |>|

Thank you, andyadcock and KenM, for both your responses AND your patience with novice birders like me who truly bark up the wrong tree sometimes when identifying species. :t:

Trying to ID birds out of Van Perlo can be pretty frustrating, it is certainly the worst of the guides for the region. Howell & Webb is still the authoritative volume for Mexico and is recently joined by Jesse Fagan and Oliver Komar's excellent Field Guide to Birds of Northern Central America. Would really recommend one or both of these books!

Cheers,
Josh

Trying to ID birds out of Van Perlo can be pretty frustrating, it is certainly the worst of the guides for the region. Howell & Webb is still the authoritative volume for Mexico and is recently joined by Jesse Fagan and Oliver Komar's excellent Field Guide to Birds of Northern Central America. Would really recommend one or both of these books!

Cheers,
Josh

I know that H and W is the best... but it was 50 bucks on Amazon. And for a short family holiday, I decided to put up with Van Perlo. If I lived in the region, I'd invest in the better book. Haven't yet checked out the second book... thanks for the recommendation!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back