• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor with pale belly, northern Iraq (1 Viewer)

sharifaone

Birding by a river early this morning revealed this fellow on a post. I'm confused by the patchy coloration. Especially noted are the pale belly, pale patch on breast, dark tail, and fairly pale head. Maybe a immature Booted Eagle??

1-DSCN0335 (2).JPG

Thanks Nutcracker and aeshna5. I hadn't really considered Steppe Buzzard because they aren't around here during the winter, and I didn't think that they had started migrating here yet. But after you suggested Steppe Buzzard, I was able to Google various images that do include the pale belly, since my Collins Field Guide doesn't have any images with pale bellied birds. Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

I hadn't really considered Steppe Buzzard because they aren't around here during the winter, and I didn't think that they had started migrating here yet.
I did wonder about timing, but thought that they were fairly early migrants, with the end of March OK when it may still have another 2-3,000 km northward journey yet to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back