• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calandra Lark? northern Iraq (1 Viewer)

sharifaone

Hi all,

Is this Calandra Lark? Note fairly heavy bill, black patch on side of breast, and fairly short tail. In flight, I noted white sides to tail. Sorry, I didn't see the color of the underwings or note any trailing white on wing edges.

1-P6161508.JPG

1-P6161512.JPG

1-P6161514.JPG
I'm confused because the supercilium seems so indistinct, and the bird appeared smaller in general size to other Calandra Larks I've seen. Overall, the bird just seems "less clear" than other instances of Calandra Lark. Perhaps it's a juvenile and hasn't gained its full adult coloration??

Any possibility it's Greater Short-toed Lark? or even Bimaculated Lark?

In the same location, saw this bird (one of a pair). In flight, wings were dark underneath and tail sides were white. Note hint of white trailing edge in folded wing.
1-P6161527.JPG
Note black patch on side of breast.
1-P6161528.JPG
White supercilium is stronger.
1-P6161537.JPG

I'm much more sure this is Calandra Lark... but need to rule out any others, just in case.

I appreciate input from y'all!

No Short-toed Larks here. All Calandra spp. I'm not familiar enough to separate Bimaculated from Calandra, although they all look good for Calandra.

Last edited:
No question they are all Calandra's. In the lower set of of images there are two different individuals, the lowest (attachment 630946) is surely a juvenile on account of fresher plumage with heavily scalloped upperparts and rather weak neck patches.

Grahame

Thank you, AlinoVegano and Grahame, for your input confirming they're Calandra Larks. All the juvenile plumaged birds in this season make it tougher for me. Your replies are appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back