• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good birds seen from restaurants (1 Viewer)

To count as a restaurant, it has to provide meals to visitors . . .

I suspect half the membership of BF will want to come for a meal 3:)

It is a restaurant - we just live in it as well!! The, albeit small, terrace gives a reasonable view of the mountains.....:t:

Coral-billed Ground Cuckoo, coming to rice scraps at the camp ground restaurant in Khao Yai, Thailand.

On Little Tobago, Turnstones will come on to your table and take scraps from your hand.

At 'Backwoods camp' in Goa, we enticed a Sri Lankan Frogmouth in to the tree above us as we sat post dinner enjoying a brandy by the camp fire, does that count?

Andy

Why not? BTW, Thanks for the 200th post!

While living in Colombia, I once had a Rufous-tailed Hummingbird flying in the living room, checking out the flowers on the dining table, humming around for 5 seconds, and flying out the same window as he came!

Really good birds seen from a restaurant (mostly lodges) include:
Red-ruffed Fruitcrow @ Otun Quimbaya, C-Colombian Andes, while having breakfast.
Black-tipped Cotinga @ Canande, Ecuadorian Choco, while having lunch
Hombron's Kingfisher @ Delmonte lodge, Philippines while having breakfast.
Black-and-chestnut Eagle @ El dorado, Santa Marta, while having lunch.
Santa Marta Screech-owl (HO) @ El dorado, while having dinner.
Long-tailed Potoo @ Amazon manu lodge while having dinner.
Andean Cock-of-the-rock @ Manu paradise lodge while having lunch.
Lyre-tailed Nightjar @ Apalla, Satipo road while having dinner.
White-crested Laughingthrush @ Forktail creek camp, India, while having breakfast.

Many hummingbirds in S-America...

in Europe:
Corn Crake keeping me awake all night while camping, Belarus This was also the place where we had dinner... We decided to camp there and to lure the bird in with tape. Wrong idea! Never had an angry bird keeping me awake all night, probably calling from within touching distance of our tents!

I love Frogmouths , Andy - the Tawny is one of my all time favourite birds- how did you " entice" the Sri Lankan one ?

Best wishes, Carol[

At 'Backwoods camp' in Goa, we enticed a Sri Lankan Frogmouth in to the tree above us as we sat post dinner enjoying a brandy by the camp fire, does that count?

Andy[/QUOTE]

I love Frogmouths , Andy - the Tawny is one of my all time favourite birds- how did you " entice" the Sri Lankan one ?

Best wishes, Carol[

We taped it in, I was there with a couple of lads and with the guys from the camp who I'd got to know well and they asked if I wanted to see one.....Of course I replied so they put on the tape and in it came!

It wasn't a tick but a memorable moment in time and as with many Oriental birders, it was my first Frogmouth sp.

Andy

On Little Tobago, Turnstones will come on to your table and take scraps from your hand. Andy

Andy,
They do that in Whitby on the outdoor tables at the restaurants and pubs on the southern side of the Esk as it flows into the harbour...B :)
MJB

I am just back from another trip to Catalunya. On Friday 25th I had lunch in Restaurant La Barraca, which is between L'Ampolla and Bassa de les Olles, the NW lake in the Ebro Delta. The restaurant is close to the edge of the bay, with a view across to Punta del Fangar. Indeed, partway through my excellent meal (ensalada de bacalao, followed by paella marinera) I noticed a flock of birds flying over Punta del Fangar showing alternating black and pink colours. I dug out my binoculars and focused on the flock as it landed - greater flamingos! There were about 120 of them. Over there I also saw a medium sized dark raptor soaring, too distant to identify, but maybe a black kite. I also saw an Audouin's gull and a slender-billed gull flying past the restaurant.

Lesser Kestrels and White Stork in the old part of Trujillo in Extramadura; from the restaurant patio in the main square. Gazpacho followed by Rabbit

Little Egrets as close as a yard or 2, soaring Turkey Vultures (very common but still) and some kind of Terrapin (not very birdlike but a tick for me) from the terrace of the works canteen at Sugarland south of Houston.

Sardinian warbler and Bee-Eaters, we were eating breakfast on the terrace of a house near Javea on the Costa Blanca.
I think this is a great thread...

After L'Ampolla I had a few days at Els Reguers, a small village which is further inland NW of Tortosa. On 27th September I had a long lunch with Rob, Marg and some of their friends at Bar Contrast in a little square in the village. We were able to watch a bit of barn swallow passage overhead.

Next day we had a great walk in Els Ports de Beseit, the mountain range nearby. Afterwards, we visited the even smaller village of Alfara de Carles and enjoyed a beer sitting out the back of the brasería on Plaça Sant Agostí. There was a fine view of the mountainside, over which soared 3 griffon vultures and a sparrowhawk, showing the great difference in size.

Last edited:
Bumping up the thread with good birds heard/seen from restaurants.

I have visited the Oder river (Germany) last weekend and we got 29 species while eating/drinking on the restaurant terrace of our small Hostel.
Most enjoyable the concert of Thrush Nightingale, Great Reed and Savi's Warbler in the evening with some distant calling Quails and Corncrakes.

Interesting thread.
Chamois from a mountain restaurant in Hergiswil in central Switzerland. What made it especially noteworthy was that we were eating Chamois stew at the time.
On a more bird related note Alpine Accentor, Snowfinch and Alpine Chough are regular species at mountain restaurants in winter here.
Have yet to see a Wallcreeper from a restaurant though.
ATB
Tom

I was in the Marine on Peel Promenade here in the Isle of Man yesterday evening. A flock of eiders gathered in the bay at dusk, visible from my seat in the pub. The eiders seem to spend the night in the bay, in front of the ancient Peel Castle. Eiders only arrived in the Isle of Man in 1990, so the view could be said to include a mixture of ancient and modern.

My first experience of seawatching was on a YOC / YHA birdwatching holiday based at the then Bradda Head Youth Hostel here in the Isle of Man in 1970. The best seawatching is usually in poor weather, but on a holiday on the Canarian island of La Palma last month I had a really enjoyable seawatch for birds, comfort and food.

I had a meal late in the afternoon of the 15th at Restaurante Sadi, Calle La Corvina, Los Cancajos. I sat outside and realised that from my table I could watch the northbound passage of Cory's Shearwaters which was such a feature of afternoons during the holiday. By checking every 5 minutes or so I was able to count 488 Cory's Shearwaters flying N, as well as 2 Manx Shearwaters. I prefer to sit in the shade for health reasons, and I was also well protected from the NE winds which helped make the holiday such a good time for seeing shearwaters, but my feet weren't like the blocks of ice which seawatching sometimes cause in more northern winters. The food was excellent, too!

A white-capped water redstart about 15 feet away from a stream-side restaurant in Doi Inthanon NP, Thailand earlier this year was more memorable than the unusually poor pad thai!

The AncientBrit hasn't been back, but I notice that birdanddine.com now also includes places in Africa and North America.

Hi all, sorry I haven't been on the Forum for quite a while, but then I have moved to another country since I last posted.

Bird and Dine is still increasing in size and scope - we are up to 90 entries now.
For those of you who would like their favourite places listed, please visit the site and give us the details.
If that's too much - maybe post a link to the website here?

Thanks all

Costa opened up by the harbour in Castletown here in the Isle of Man. It is also next to the historic Castle Rushen. With its big windows facing the mouth of the Silverburn (river), Costa has proved a boon to me on my visits to the town over the last year or so, especially in the winter. I am able to watch a range of bird species while sitting out of the wind and rain! Best of all, I have seen a Chough flying past on 5 occasions in the last 4 months, including today, with 3 of them passing another day. A Hen Harrier flew past over the river mouth on one occasion, too!

Last edited:
My oh my, Allen. What a great thread! How have I missed it before? Glad you bumped it up for us relative newcomers to Birdforum to see. I'm not into cars and birding or planes and birding, but restaurants and birding...oh yes. The thing is I worked in the industry for fifteen years and I've got too many tales to tell, but I also, like you, enjoy being on the other side and sitting eating whilst casually watching things going about their business in front of me. The guys I first went birding overseas with in 1988 are now World Listing at some 6000 and 7000 species, but not me. I'll give it my all for a few hours but leisurely lunches and afternoon naps are a must. I used to regularly relax at Los Colibries Restaurant in Mindo, Ecuador with its many hummingbird feeders outside. One day,mid-morning, I noticed the proprietress looking unusually anxious arranging tables and chairs. In halting Spanish I asked if there was anything I could do to help and that's how I ended up serving there for three days with Booted Racket-tails and co zipping about outside. Had a six-month spell cheffing on Fair Isle as well. Blyth's Reed Warbler, several Red-backed Shrikes, Booted Warbler, Citrine Wagtail from the kitchen window. Had to run out for a White's Thrush one morning while cooking breakfast for thirty-four people!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back