• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (7 Viewers)

Two Yellow Wagtails near Ladywood near green barn and around the rubble - 3 Wagtail species present in same area.

Eclipse drake Tufted Duck and Little Grebe earlier between Hawford and Chatley.

A Little Egret just flew down the valley over New Mill.

Last edited:
Two Little Egrets between Salwarpe and Ladywood this morning.

Tree Pipit and a male Yellow Wagtail between Mildenham and Chatley.

A few more species seen yesterday (21/08):

3 Swifts Ladywood area
Little Grebe and Tufted Duck between Chatley and Hawford
Lesser Whitethroat Tapenhall
2 Ravens Salwarpe
20 Mistle Thrushes perched on pylons around Middleton Bank - plus others elsewhere.
Starlings beginning to form sizable flocks.
5 Cormorants perched on a pylon near Salwarpe plus more seen flying over
Large numbers of Swallows and House martins passing overhead
Willow Warblers, Kingfisher, Grey Wags, Grey Herons, Reed buntings, Yellowhammers, Kestrels, Buzzards, Common Whitethroats, Reed Warblers, Bullfinches, Treecreeper, Coal Tits, Goldcrests, etc.

4 Glow worms seen after dusk..

2017 Glow Worm Survey

Results from this year's survey in the attached file. I have passed this onto Worcestershire Wildlife Trust, Worcestershire County Council and the highways authorities who have taken a very welcome interest and are keen to conserve the colony. :t:

Attachments

• 2017 Glow worm survey Droitwich Community Woods.pdf
    536.1 KB · Views: 50
Results from this year's survey in the attached file. I have passed this onto Worcestershire Wildlife Trust, Worcestershire County Council and the highways authorities who have taken a very welcome interest and are keen to conserve the colony. :t:

It's dedication and perseverance like yours that makes the Councils sit up and listen. Well done and thank you!

It's dedication and perseverance like yours that makes the Councils sit up and listen. Well done and thank you!

Thanks for those kind words, Mary.

In this case, I have been pleasantly surprised by the proactive and positive attitude of the ecology team at the council. Earlier in the year they approached me and we had a
a meeting to discuss management requirements. I'm usually very cynical about these things but I came away with a renewed optimism.

This morning: 2 Yellow Wagtails feeding in horse paddock by Sinton Lane farm. One female Redstart in hedge inside the gallop at the top of Egg Lane. Little Owl Linacres paddocks.

Yesterday: Hobby caught a Swallow at Tapenhall - at least 65 Swallows gathering in that area.

Friday: Hobby near Knight's Grove. Tufted Duck between Chatley and Hawford. Two Little Owls Linacres paddocks.

This morning: 2 Yellow Wagtails feeding in horse paddock by Sinton Lane farm. One female Redstart in hedge inside the gallop at the top of Egg Lane. Little Owl Linacres paddocks.

Yesterday: Hobby caught a Swallow at Tapenhall - at least 65 Swallows gathering in that area.

Friday: Hobby near Knight's Grove. Tufted Duck between Chatley and Hawford. Two Little Owls Linacres paddocks.

Do you know if the work on the towpath has finished now, by the little car park at the end of Egg Lane, and is the car park surface ok - crater-wise! We came over a couple of weeks ago to find everywhere blocked off - nothing on their website about the works|=(|

Do you know if the work on the towpath has finished now, by the little car park at the end of Egg Lane, and is the car park surface ok - crater-wise! We came over a couple of weeks ago to find everywhere blocked off - nothing on their website about the works|=(|

Still some work to do by the look of it. Quite a lot of people unhappy about the lack of parking and the lack of communication. There are a few spaces to park on the grass verge near the gate just before you get to the bottom of the lane.

A stunning male Redstart between Chatley and Mildenham this morning - easily the most pristine one I've seen this autumn.

One Glow worm last night - this year's 'glowing season' has lasted more than two whole calender months.

Still some work to do by the look of it. Quite a lot of people unhappy about the lack of parking and the lack of communication. There are a few spaces to park on the grass verge near the gate just before you get to the bottom of the lane.

Cheers for the update. Think we'll wait a while!

I had great views of a Hobby chasing hirundines around Chatley on Monday morning. I must admit that I probably take this species for granted as they are so regular on the patch - I see them most times I go out - especially at this time of year. They also almost definitely breed in the area. It seems a bit odd to me, therefore, that they are still reported to and included on the Worcs Birding website - I never bother reporting mine these days for the reason outlined above. I guess, however, they may not be as regular elsewhere.

Unlike Hobbies, Red kites are still a very good bird on my patch - I'm lucky if I see 2 or 3 a year. Bizarrely, these are now deemed to be 'too common' in the wider context. I guess it just shows how regularly birding a small(ish) patch can give a narrow perspective. Perhaps other patch birders in Worcs see Red Kites all the time.

Last edited:
The arrival of Meadow Pipits on the patch heralds the change of season - widespread individuals and small groups encountered all over this morning.

Male Redstart still between Chatley and Mildenham.

Warblers including Reed, Common Whitethroats, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps.

Little Owl Linacres paddocks, Grey Wag, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Kestrel and much of the common stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back