• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Imm. Altamira or Orange Oriole? Quint. Roo, Mexico (1 Viewer)

sharifaone

What do I look for to distinguish Orange Oriole from immature Altamira? Both have similar features:
  • orange mantles (greenish washed in female Orange/imm. Altamira)
  • black faces
  • white edges to primaries
  • a white epaulet/wingbar respectively.
Attached are the pics which sparked this question.

Educate me! And thanks in advance!

1-PC252457.JPG

1-PC252460.JPG

1-PC252461.JPG

1-PC252463.JPG

Your birds all show two white wing bars while Altamira generally will show one white (the lower) and the second colored like the body

Niels

I did not even seriously consider that there could be a need to look at a third species, I should have known better re Mexican orioles.

Now that I pull the head out of the sand, 2nd and 3rd photo shows hooded: black on the throat is wide enough to almost form a right angle at the eye, something essentially limited to Hooded.

What I wrote about how to separate the two species initially asked about still holds.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back