• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproof jacket for birding in the UK (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately I have only just read this post and would like to put up the case for the defence. I am amazed to hear that you have suffered a problem with our Traveller jacket as we have this fully tested for waterproofness. I am always extremely concerned when one of our customers isn't happy with a product and would have welcomed the opportunity to be able to have sorted this out at the time. Customer satisfaction is of utmost importance to us and we pride ourselves on our high level of service and quality products. Over the years we have had many many happy customers and I feel personally quite upset to hear this comment. I would welcome the chance to discuss this further.

Maria Chilvers
Country Innovation

If I were a Euro dweller, I'd be looking at Harkila hunting gear from Sweden. Modern Goretex, absolutely the best design and construction, pricey but worth it if you use it. I've seen a Prohunter jacket in action and only poverty prevents me from buying it while also paying the huge premium in taxes and tariffs that would be added on if I ordered from the UK distributor. A particularly nice feature are the huge pockets, and the normally concealed blaze-orange arm bands you can pull out when operating in active shooting areas.

http://harkila.com/products/jacket

I have several of a Country Innovations jackets, find the Rover lovely and comfy, but use the Paramo Halcon in real winter and bad weather, all good products.

Unfortunately I have only just read this post and would like to put up the case for the defence. I am amazed to hear that you have suffered a problem with our Traveller jacket as we have this fully tested for waterproofness. I am always extremely concerned when one of our customers isn't happy with a product and would have welcomed the opportunity to be able to have sorted this out at the time. Customer satisfaction is of utmost importance to us and we pride ourselves on our high level of service and quality products. Over the years we have had many many happy customers and I feel personally quite upset to hear this comment. I would welcome the chance to discuss this further.

Maria Chilvers
Country Innovation

By coincidence, I recently took the Country Innovation jacket out of the cupboard for a 10-day birding fieldwork trip, in woodland. I am now looking for a new jacket (hence revisiting this thread and seeing your post). The real problem with the jacket is the stitching and the studs, and I am astounded that this did not come up in thorough road-testing.
The stitching is not protected, so it snags on thorns, twigs, and gets abraded. This is a particular issue for the seams on the arms, and the stitching on my jacket is now fraying and has begun to unravel and pull out on one arm. This is after maybe 30 days solid use in total, over a couple of years.
The studs on the cuffs, collar and pockets are really infuriating. They have no backing at all. On this trip the studs on the collar actually gave me a painful rash (I'm not allergic to the metals, e.g. nickel), as when worn over a t-shirt the studs were constantly rubbing against the back of my neck for the entire day - it was bare metal stud rubbing against skin. This was made worse when wearing binoculars or a camera, due to the strap over the collar. The jacket was then impossible to use in the field without wearing some kind of collared shirt underneath, to protect my neck - not what I needed in humid spring woodland.
Similarly, the cold metal studs on the cuffs could only be kept from the skin on the wrist by using long sleeves. Another poor choice.
I also had to fasten every one of the many studs on the pockets to avoid them rattling with every step. Not very good when trying to do fieldwork and listening for bird calls.
Don't get me wrong, it has some plus points - it's a wonderful roomy fit, and the pockets are great, and apart from the rattling it's quiet - no rustling (one of the reasons I bought it). But it's just not fit for purpose as a fieldwork or birding jacket, as it is not robust enough (poor stitching/seams), and even ended up being painful and annoying to wear due to the studs.
Luckily, it didn't rain so I never got the chance to get wet.

I'm afraid that I can't recommend it as a birding or fieldwork jacket, and I don't think that I'll ever wear it again.

Last edited:
I am quite a fan of Craghopper I have their fleece lined soft shell jacket that allows for easy movement when out and about and keeps me nice and warm. Although it's not a full waterproof or winter weight jacket.
For winter I have a Gelert coat which does the job nicely keeps me nice and toasty and dry and doesn't make too much noise when I am walking around.
I don't look for a jacket with lots of pockets as I tend to take a bag around with me or use my car as a base of operation.

Tim.

I've never experienced the traveller, the ventile Rover is the main one I use and think it has a great number of qualities. Has a nice aged feel to it, soft and warm to put on, moleskin collar and lined pockets, only suffers under prolonged heavy rain, and ages lovely.Ventile coats seem to keep their value well too.
I've many coats, too many (my missus says so) , Barbours, Fjallraven, Montane, Marmot, Mountain Equipment, North Face, Paramo,4 ventile ones by different manufacturers, and will definitely have to have a cull soon, but I'd always keep the Rover Ventile, thats how much I like it!

I have the country Innovation Ventile which is an expensive outdoors coat. I always used to have Berghaus Gore-tex but switched as after a few years of use and re-waterproofing they always ended up not keeping the wet out. The CI is heavy and I was dubious it would do the job but sat on a boat that was just leaving Bryher a couple of Octobers back and torrential downpour soaked everyone onboard. I was dry as a bone and everyone else were wet through their waterproofs. I have worn it numerous very wet days and stayed dry. Pockets big, best hood on any outdoors coat I've everhad, only downside that as its double layered it you sweat the moisture has trouble getting out. Time will tell but so far not had to treat this coat at all and its still doing what it says on the tin

I picked up the old model Barbour Cheviot at an agricultural show for £100 (£275 for new style) and it's almost perfect. Waterproof but not waxed cotton, very warm (too warm tbh), all brass fittings, great hood, silent material and breathable. It's my go to coat in the winter.

In the spring/autumn I wear an unlined German army flecktarn jacket that I bought off Amazon for £10 with the p&p. Again almost perfect for that particular time of year. Camouflaged, silent, comfortable, good hood, zipped pockets, bomb proof build quality and a price were I don't mind taking chances with barbed wire and thorns.

Canada Goose make a few styles that are appropriate for birding. The Hybridge is the one that I would recommend. It's made of 100% nylon, is wind and water proof, lets you move around with full range of motion and the material is very quiet. It's best when birding in temperatures between 5 degrees and -5 degrees Celcius (or 41 degrees - 23 degrees Fahrenheit), but it works great if you're layering in colder weather. You can check it out here https://birdbathsforsale.com/canada-goose-jacket/

Good Luck!

Me and Troubadoris have both use Rohan Hilltop jackets for years. They are long enough to fold the hem under you backside and sit down on so can be helpful when you want to reduce the height of your silhouette from the subject you are observing.

Lee

Country Innovation Rover double ventile, used it in all weathers with zero issues, absolutely bombproof, plus it keeps me dry in the worst Dartmoor can deliver.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back