• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (3 Viewers)

well you are a step ahead of me Mike, at least you know what "your kind" of work is and where home is, I still haven't found mine, and wandering in the wilderness also has it's blessings and gifts, go home when you need it but don't give up exploring.....every time you go back home it will be fresh again, like this one

it's great when you do a picture that you recognise yourself in, it's great to explore other avenues but there's no place like home. This is a real tawny, exactly as seen (when lucky enough to see!) in a real place. I love it.

That's a very lovely and natural painting. I like it very much. Great level of details with the large number of twigs and branches. That's exactly how I would imagine it to look in the field.

Best wishes,
Kathrin

A wonderful piece, Mike. It reminds me of a Chris Rose painting called 'Day Roost, which must have gone for several hundred quid at the time.

Russ

Nothing posted since mid April!

Ok so here's some sketches and bits from the last few weeks then.

I've not really done any worked up wildlife stuff for a while, just working away on the pheasant, but I've not been idle. Apologies for the non-wildlifeness, but the triple portrait is finally over and I feel the need to share it. It's been a struggle and a challenge but actually pretty good fun at the same time. The likenesses are good and I'm pretty pleased with it actually. Obviously the flash photo I had for reference wasn't ideal but, hey, what can you do?
These are my friends David and Denise with their son George. You've met David before, he has a great face for painting. These are the friends we'll be staying with in Singapore this summer and we felt we wanted to do something a bit personal as a thank-you so this is the result. I hope they like it and it doesn't get hung in the toilet!

Sketching's been a bit thin on the ground lately but hopefully that can change a bit now with decent weather and summer birds. I managed an hour out with the easel in the early morning a week or so ago before spending the entire day painting and decorating (a bedroom this time). The weather wasn't great but just standing in the corner of a field, painting the scene in front of me made for a great start to the day.

Mike

Attachments

• all-three.jpg
    all-three.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 60
  • david-only.jpg
    david-only.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 41
  • enpleinair-spring.jpg
    enpleinair-spring.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 61
  • marshy.jpg
    marshy.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 40
  • sleepoik.jpg
    sleepoik.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 36
More bits.

Attachments

• avo1.jpg
    avo1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 38
  • avo2.jpg
    avo2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 42
  • firstof-the-ywags.jpg
    firstof-the-ywags.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 41
  • bhg.jpg
    bhg.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 38
  • lilowl.jpg
    lilowl.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 40
Last of 'em for now!

Attachments

• glags1.jpg
    glags1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 33
  • glags2.jpg
    glags2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 37
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 37
  • gardenspugs.jpg
    gardenspugs.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 45
  • sumlaps.jpg
    sumlaps.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
sketches of the songsters are so lively...the hardest for me in portraits is the skin tones, so much harder than it looks to create the translucent nature of skin and in the shadows not to get it muddy.

they are going to love it!

Outstanding Portrait, yet another 'string to the artistic bow'.....The landscape and the sketches are exceptional as always

well done on the portrait mike it looks great.the plein air landscape is smashing and so quick too!.your sketches are as always excellent

Great stuff but especially that plein air landscape - absolutely lovely

The field sketches are always a pleasure to see and I almost think that these seem better than ever, as though a hiatus just helped you out. But my favorite may be the landscape. It's strong, evocative and also subtle.

As for the portrait they've scared me off since I was a kid. So hats off to anyone who can actually portray people so that they look like live individuals and not stiff cardboard figures. That you've certainly done. They look real and I'm sure will be quite happy with their portrait.

Looks like time well spent on your 'wee break,' as Tim says!

Thanks all.

Off out to catch the sunrise this morning. Funton Brickworks, all shut down now....

Most of the morning's sketching was about the way the light was striking the avocets which have taken command of the scrape again this year. A quick couple of lapwings on the way back and then the bird of the day turns up; Merlin!

I hope to get out again on Thursday this week, I've got to take another day's holiday to take my son for a job interview (Hurray!).

Mike

Attachments

• sunrise-over-Funton.jpg
    sunrise-over-Funton.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 47
  • avo1.jpg
    avo1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 34
  • avo2.jpg
    avo2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 43
  • avo3.jpg
    avo3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 40
  • avo4.jpg
    avo4.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 42
Last ones.

Attachments

• avo5.jpg
    avo5.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 38
  • avos-in-light3.jpg
    avos-in-light3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 58
  • lap1.jpg
    lap1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 41
  • lap2.jpg
    lap2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 35
  • merlin1.jpg
    merlin1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back