• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Watch where you sit ! (1 Viewer)

Groovy Grackle

Had a very nice but funny moment today while solo bird watching in a nice big area full of thick brush and small pockets of tall grass clearings.

I had spotted a bird grazing not far from me on the floor of a thick area of brush and so I sat down quickly and as quiet as I could...like a tree stump.

To my delight I could see it was a black,orange and white colored Eastern Towhee! Then after a few minutes I noticed another bird landed right beside it...it's equally beautiful female mate!

This was a very "golden moment" for me and I was thinking...this is the reason I love doing this activity so much ! :t:

Then I looked down on the ground all around me and under me and realized that I couldn't have chosen a worst place to sit down! :king:

I was sitting in the middle of a huge patch of Poison Oak..a 3 leaved plant that will give you nasty and itchy red bumps all over your skin! :cat::C

Luckily I ( always my rule while deep woods birding) wore my blue jeans and long hiking boots. Still when I got home I scrubbed my arms with soap...hopefully I didn't get any on my arms.
Some of the funniest moments happen to me while birding sometimes...and I will laugh about that for a long time! :-O

Last edited:
I think many birders will have similar tales.

Mine was in Veenzuela, gazing up at a bird and suddenly felt biting on my belly. I looked down and both my legs were covered in biting ants, the vanguard of which was the biting I had felt, I was standing on their nest.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back