• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Treecreeper ID, Poland (1 Viewer)

Max S.

Would it be possible to ID these Treecreepers found in Poland?

1 - 16.07.2019 Roztoczanski NP
2 - 07.07.2019 Ojcowski NP (Eurasian Treecreeper?)

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
3 - 04.07.2019 Ojcowski NP

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
Oh well, could you point out which birds are juvs?

And to clarify - photos 1-2, 2-4, and 5-7 each show a different bird.

Photo 2 shows the wing pattern well enough to be sure it is Eurasian.

Photos 3-4 look like a juvenile, with very fresh feathers with white spots on the upper mantle; not sure which species.

Can't see enough of the bird in photos 5-7 to ID, unfortunately.

I think the bird in pictures 3-4 can identified as Eurasian with confidence:

in juvenile Short-Toed with still growing and such a stubby bill like in this bird, the bill is often more strongly curved (I write normally, because I have not seen enough juvenile Treecreepers to be sure of variation). And the bill would be to short if fully developed for Short-Toed.

The Underparts are gleaming white even on the flanks

Please note, that this bird was taken in the range of the subspecies familiaris, which has greater and whiter spots on the upperparts. In the Challenge-Book by Martin Garner the map for this subspecies covers entire Poland, but Eurasian on the German/Polish boarder showed upperparts not different from birds I had seen elsewhere in Europe (brown upperparts with "normal" white spots without frosty appearance), but some showed striking gleaming white underparts. An integration zone is the be expected in subspecies. (For what its worth attach pictures of an Eurasian Treecreeper from Chojna/E-Poland to illustrate this point)

Rump seems to be contrasting brown (better for Eurosaian) but Im not sure about this: it seems somewhat unnatural to me, to much pronounced than my experience.

The forecrown seems to be spotted white (pro Eurasian), but the picture quality is not so good to exclude an photographic artefact or feather shafts.

The wingpattern is difficult to judge, as Nutcracker said with very fresh and therefore broad and white feathertips, but I dont see anything that speaks against Eurasian: broad white tips around primary tips, the right primary spacing for familiaris, alula pattern is spot on (but so variable).

Attachments

• Waldbaumläufer Chojna 2.jpg
    Waldbaumläufer Chojna 2.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Wldbaumläufer Chojna.jpg
    Wldbaumläufer Chojna.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Thank you very much for the ID and extensive info. :)
As for the forecrown, it is spotted - I remember this from the field and there not an photo artefact.

Hallo Max,

looking at the pictures again and on a different screen I see that the forecrown indeed looks spotted (easy with your information, I know or am I biased now?).

Im always looking for Eurasian Treecreeper from the contact/integration zone because as I wrote from the few I have seen, many showed striking white underparts. But I have seen similar birds in S-Germany, Austria and Italy, so Im always willing to learn from posts like yours.

I attach two more pictures of the same bird and one more from Ognica in W-Poland (3rd picture).
By the way, Chojna is in W-Poland, and not in East, my mistake.

So thank you for your pictures!

Alexander Stöhr

Attachments

• Waldbaumläufer2.jpg
    Waldbaumläufer2.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Waldbaunläufer.jpg
    Waldbaunläufer.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Waldbaumläufer PL2.jpg
    Waldbaumläufer PL2.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
The Underparts are gleaming white even on the flanks

Please note, that this bird was taken in the range of the subspecies familiaris, which has greater and whiter spots on the upperparts. In the Challenge-Book by Martin Garner the map for this subspecies covers entire Poland, but Eurasian on the German/Polish boarder showed upperparts not different from birds I had seen elsewhere in Europe (brown upperparts with "normal" white spots without frosty appearance), but some showed striking gleaming white underparts. An integration zone is the be expected in subspecies. (For what its worth attach pictures of an Eurasian Treecreeper from Chojna/E-Poland to illustrate this point)

a).

Her's a familiaris from St Petersburg in Russia

Attachments

• Common Treecreeper.jpg
    Common Treecreeper.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 80
Sorry I'm a bit late to the last posts, but I forgot to subscribe to the thread...

Alexander, I've got some more photos of a Eurasian (and some Short-Toed) Treecreeper from last winter. I can add them if you'd like.

Hello Max,

I am always keen for pictures of Eurasian Treecreepers from the (suspected) integradiation zone for both ssp., so I would like it when you post more pictures.

Greetings,
Alexander Stöhr

In that case I'm adding some photos of an Eurasian found on 25.01.2019 in Kraków.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Can I gatecrash? I saw this treecreeper today in southern bavaria. Can it be ID'd?

Attachments

• DSC02039.jpg
    DSC02039.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC02041.jpg
    DSC02041.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02043.jpg
    DSC02043.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC02044.jpg
    DSC02044.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC02038.jpg
    DSC02038.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 41
Pic 4 in the first post of this thread shows the hind toe quite clearly. Is it possible to ID based on the toe length only?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back