• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please (Kilimanjaro & Arusha, Tanzania)6 (1 Viewer)

1. Seems to be a wheatear, presumably Pied male, maybe changing to non-breeding plumage.

2. Is from a previous thread. Andy Adcock thought Cabanis's Greenbul; I now agree with this, having decided that our local guide was wrong about the ID of the bird from Kakamega I posted in that thread - I think my bird was not Cabanis's, but Ansorge's.

3. There was a different picture of this bird posted on an earlier thread. Looking here I thought 'White-eye', but it doesn't really fit. I wonder if it could be African (Grey) Penduline-tit (which I've never seen)?

4 & 5. I think that Notuswinner wants someone to say this is Usumbara or Taita Thrush, but you would have to be braver than me to do this.

I can't really help here, except to point out that Arusha and Mt Kilimanjaro are a long way apart when it comes to bird options. More specific site information may be useful if any Africa experts come across these threads

1. Seems to be a wheatear, presumably Pied male, maybe changing to non-breeding plumage.

2. Is from a previous thread. Andy Adcock thought Cabanis's Greenbul; I now agree with this, having decided that our local guide was wrong about the ID of the bird from Kakamega I posted in that thread - I think my bird was not Cabanis's, but Ansorge's.

3. There was a different picture of this bird posted on an earlier thread. Looking here I thought 'White-eye', but it doesn't really fit. I wonder if it could be African (Grey) Penduline-tit (which I've never seen)?

4 & 5. I think that Notuswinner wants someone to say this is Usumbara or Taita Thrush, but you would have to be braver than me to do this.

It would be good to get both date and location to confirm the altitude and habitat of these birds. However I would offer the following

1. Having looked at this I would propose one of the Abyssinian/Mourning/Schalow's complex rather than pied. The amount of rufous in the tail and undertail coverts seem to suggest it this species group. IOC 9.2 has this as ssp schalowi under Abyssinian. The buff in the cap backs this up.

2. I am not sure why this is not a Brownbul? I don't think the photo is good enough to confirm all the points, but certainly looks like Northern Brownbul to me. I would expect some yellow/greenish tones to move to any of the other Phyllastephus species.

3. My immediate reaction was that this was a Phylloscopus. Magnifying the image also seems to show that there is some yellow fringing on the top of the primaries (could just be a trick of the photo though). I would suggest that this is Brown Woodland Warbler.

4 & 5 - obviously a juvenile thrush from the 'Olive' complex of species. I don't know enough about them to confirm. I suspect that Mountain Thrush is the default in the area, but this is surprising dark on the upperside.

1. Having looked at this I would propose one of the Abyssinian/Mourning/Schalow's complex rather than pied. The amount of rufous in the tail and undertail coverts seem to suggest it this species group. IOC 9.2 has this as ssp schalowi under Abyssinian. The buff in the cap backs this up.

Schalow's / Mourning has black down to the mid-breast. This bird has a very clear demarcation between the throat and the breast, and I can't see much rufous at all. Also Schalow's is Serengeti / Ngorongoro rather than Kilimanjaro / Arusha. But I'm willing to hear counterarguments of course.

2. I am not sure why this is not a Brownbul? I don't think the photo is good enough to confirm all the points, but certainly looks like Northern Brownbul to me. I would expect some yellow/greenish tones to move to any of the other Phyllastephus species.

Northern Brownbul that I have seen (a couple) aren't this rufous - but otherwise I pass on this.

3. My immediate reaction was that this was a Phylloscopus. Magnifying the image also seems to show that there is some yellow fringing on the top of the primaries (could just be a trick of the photo though). I would suggest that this is Brown Woodland Warbler.

I've never seen Brown Woodland Warbler, but if this is one, then the field guide authors really need to update their paintings to replace brown with yellow.

4 & 5 - obviously a juvenile thrush from the 'Olive' complex of species. I don't know enough about them to confirm. I suspect that Mountain Thrush is the default in the area, but this is surprising dark on the upperside.

In the previous thread where this was posted, Mountain was the answer, but I think that Notuswinner has re-posted hoping that someone will ID it as Usumbara or Taita. If someone with a lot of local knowledge did this, it would of course be OK, but for most of us, I think dark Mountain Thrush is as far as we can go.

n the previous thread where this was posted, Mountain was the answer, but I think that Notuswinner has re-posted hoping that someone will ID it as Usumbara or Taita. If someone with a lot of local knowledge did this, it would of course be OK, but for most of us, I think dark Mountain Thrush is as far as we can go.

Just read the HBW description of Taita which is said to have an 'almost completely black tail'. Poor light I know but this bird does seem to have a black tail?

Actually, perhaps I was being unfair to Notuswinner: I think the key question about this bird is the black bill, which is indeed a bit mysterious - nothing that I have mentions this as a juvenile feature, for example.

Actually, perhaps I was being unfair to Notuswinner: I think the key question about this bird is the black bill, which is indeed a bit mysterious - nothing that I have mentions this as a juvenile feature, for example.

Well it's clearly not an adult.

Schalow's / Mourning has black down to the mid-breast. This bird has a very clear demarcation between the throat and the breast, and I can't see much rufous at all. Also Schalow's is Serengeti / Ngorongoro rather than Kilimanjaro / Arusha. But I'm willing to hear counterarguments of course.

I had a quick look on line just to remind me - the last one I saw this year was a dark morph.

Try
https://africanbirdclub.org/afbid/search/browse/species/2610

Nik Borrows bird from Arusha seems very similar to me

Again a quick look at the Olive Thrush complex photos on the web shows Juvenile's with dark bills - although this is not consistent. The only photo I have come across for Taita Thrush shows a pale bill.

Doesn't seem to be a diagnostic feature - perhaps like our blackbirds it is variable but a tendency for the males to be paler at a young age.

I've never seen Brown Woodland Warbler, but if this is one, then the field guide authors really need to update their paintings to replace brown with yellow.

I have looked again at the photo and I believe that the greenish hue is from the surrounding vegetation not the bird itself. I would agree that is is a paler bird - but from my experience of the species in the field they are quite variable in the colouration. Taking a Palearctic view they almost range from chiffchaff to smoky warbler in tonal density.

The key thing is the bit you can't see in the photo - the bright yellow primary fringing is very distinctive.However there is a hint from the alula and the top of the RH wing.

1 has to be a Schalow's wheatear with that rufous tail base and short primary projection, but it is an interesting individual and I don't remember seeing one quite like that even though I was sound recording a singing male just yesterday near Arusha. It would appear that, as with others species of wheatear, there exists a dark throated form of female Schalow's...which would be new to me.

2 is indeed Cabani's and 3 a Brown woodland warbler

A location would help for the thrush.

Thank you for your professional guidance.

It would be good to get both date and location to confirm the altitude and habitat of these birds. However I would offer the following

1 has to be a Schalow's wheatear with that rufous tail base and short primary projection, but it is an interesting individual and I don't remember seeing one quite like that even though I was sound recording a singing male just yesterday near Arusha. It would appear that, as with others species of wheatear, there exists a dark throated form of female Schalow's...which would be new to me.

2 is indeed Cabani's and 3 a Brown woodland warbler

A location would help for the thrush.

So,I think:
1、Pied Wheatear;
2、Cabanis's Greenbul;
3、Brown woodland warbler;
4,5、a juvenile Olive thrush,I saw a Olive thrush at the same place.

Thanks everyone!

Can you tell us where you saw these birds? It would make it easy to exclude some options if you narrow it down down. Especially the thrush, when "Arusha and Kilimanjaro" could mean anything.

So,I think:
1、Pied Wheatear;
2、Cabanis's Greenbul;
3、Brown woodland warbler;
4,5、a juvenile Olive thrush,I saw a Olive thrush at the same place.

Thanks everyone!

If Tib says it's Schalow's, then I'm sure it is, even if it's a pattern he hasn't come across. I thought that Schalow's had to have black much lower down the breast, but if Tib says otherwise that's good enough for me. Muppit17 also thought Schalow's.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back