• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abandoned nest (1 Viewer)

Norbert

I have a camera inside a nest box in my garden and have had blue tits nesting in the box for a few weeks now and the female had started roosting.
Some days ago, however, I saw a cat in the tree which I chased away. When I subsequently looked at the images from the video camera the nice neat nest appeared to be very messy and there has been no further activity in the nest. I fear that the cat managed to get in to the box (the lid wasn't secured very well) and has killed the female - there has been no subsequent roosting and I have only seen 1 bird returning to the box - although (he?) only looks in the hole and does not enter it.

My question is - should I clear out the nest in the hope that another pair will build one, although possibly too late now, or should I just leave the nest alone and see what happens? I don't think another pair will use an already built nest, but I don't know. I know it is illegal to interfere with nests, but I am certain the female has gone and the nest abandoned.

Any suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back