• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Titchwell December 12th

Today's highlights

Lapland bunting - 6 west over main path mid morning
Long tailed duck - 50 offshore
Scaup - 7 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Velvet scoter - 15 offshore
Snow bunting - 21 west along beach
Spotted redshank - 1 on tidal pool
Avocet - 13 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell December 13th

Today's highlights

Long tailed duck - 70 offshore this morning
Scaup - 7 offshore
Greenshank - 2 on tidal pool
Spotted redshank - 3 on tidal pool
Water pipit - 2 on grazing meadow
Hen harrier - ringtail over saltmarsh this afternoon
Marsh harrier - at least 25 to roost this evening including 3 adult males

Paul

Went up to Horsey at the weekend to have a look for Snow Buntings along the beach. Was taken back by the state of the place. Its been turned into a side show. There must have been about 300/400 people there or more. The main car park was full and there is now an overflow car park that are Both £3.00 for two hours with a line of cars waiting to park. Tea van and even a bloody burger van.All this just because of Seals on the beach. Talk about cashing in.

Titchwell December 14th

Today's highlights

Greenshank - 3 on tidal pool
Long tailed duck - 70 offshore
velver scoter - 27 offshore
Eider - 50 offshore
Water pipit - 1 on grazing meadow
Avocet - 13 on fresh marsh
Firecrest - 1 in scrub on Meadow Trail but mobile and elusive
Mealy redpoll - 2 in trees near visitor centre
Scaup - 7 offshore
Hen harrier - male over saltmarsh

Desert wheatear - I was asked by a lady on my guided walk this afternoon to identify a bird that she didn't know. She had looked through her fieldguide and couldn't find anything that looked like it. The pic showed a 1st winter male desert wheatear. Sadly the pic was taken on November 29th.
She will be sending me the pic and any further details she has.

Paul

Desert wheatear - I was asked by a lady on my guided walk this afternoon to identify a bird that she didn't know. She had looked through her fieldguide and couldn't find anything that looked like it. The pic showed a 1st winter male desert wheatear. Sadly the pic was taken on November 29th.
She will be sending me the pic and any further details she has.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Found out this morning that the desert wheatear was the Devon bird and NOT photographed at Titchwell on November 24th

Paul

Titchwell December 15th

Today's highlights

Mealy redpoll - at least 1 in alders around visitor centre
Hen harrier - ringtail to roost on Thornham marsh. Seen over the grazing meadow earlier in the day
Velvet scoter - 21 offshore
Long tailed duck - 20 offshore
Jack snipe - 1 on saltmarsh pool west of Island Hide

Paul

Titchwell December 16th

Today's highlights

Goldeneye - 70 roosting on fresh marsh then few to sea
Scaup - 8 roosting on fresh marsh then few to sea
Velvet scoter - 17 offshore
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - still 70 offshore
Mealy redpoll - 4 in alders around visitor centre
Firecrest - 1 still present but very mobile
Hen harrier - 2 ringtails around during the day

Paul

Does anyone know specifically where the Todd's Canada Goose/Bean Geese are around Choseley? So far all I have is that they are in a field south of the drying barns, but having never visited the exact area I am clueless on where to park, view from, etc.

Any help greatly appreciated. :t:

Titchwell December 20th

Today's highlights

Long tailed duck - 60 offshore
Velvet scoter - reserve record 46 offshore
Mealy redpoll - 1 in trees along main path
Snow bunting - 1 on east beach
Firecrest - 1 in scrub on Meadow Trail again

Paul

Titchwell December 21st

Today's highlights

Long tailed duck - 58 offshore
Velvet scoter - 45 offshore
Black tailed godwit - 1 offshore
Little gull - 24 west this morning
Scaup - 2 offshore
Shag - 1 offshore
Spotted redshank - 2 on tidal pool
Marsh harrier - 41 roosted last night

This is the last update from 2016 so I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their support of Titchwell and the RSPB this year.

I hope you have a fantastic Christmas and New Year and enjoy a wildlife filled 2017

Paul

Today's highlights

Long tailed duck - 58 offshore
Velvet scoter - 45 offshore
Black tailed godwit - 1 offshore
Little gull - 24 west this morning
Scaup - 2 offshore
Shag - 1 offshore
Spotted redshank - 2 on tidal pool
Marsh harrier - 41 roosted last night

This is the last update from 2016 so I would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their support of Titchwell and the RSPB this year.

I hope you have a fantastic Christmas and New Year and enjoy a wildlife filled 2017

Paul
Merry Christmas to you too Paul – thank goodness you post sightings on this thread and keep it going:clap:

Best time of day?

Hi Paul

Coming over next week from Barcelona. We usually start from Titchwell beach (where I thin your list is from) 1st thing in the morning but is there a better time in your experience?

Seasons Greetings to all on this thread.

Paul might not see this so I will reply.

First thing in the morning is good and so is high tide. A high tide in the morning is probably best of all.

I was there mid-morning on a rising tide on Wednesday and the seaducks were superb - mainly quite close in and straight out from the end of the path. Paul has included my counts for that day and in addition there were many hundreds, though not vast numbers. of Common Scoters and a sprinkling of Eiders, Red-b Mergansers and Goldeneye. All in all it was more like the Moray Firth than north Norfolk.

Steve

Hi Paul

Coming over next week from Barcelona. We usually start from Titchwell beach (where I thin your list is from) 1st thing in the morning but is there a better time in your experience?

Seasons Greetings to all on this thread.

Agree with everything Steve says. Rising tide is best as some things, especially the divers, tend to drift offshore as the tide drops. That said, the birds are so close in that it almost doesn't matter what the tide is doing.

If you are on Twitter lots of people are messaging news from the reserve and I will probably be in a couple of times next week birding.

Good luck

Hi
Off to Norfolk 29th Dec. Can anyone give me a grid reference or site details for the Red breasted goose at Docking.
Thanks Dave

There is a minor road running east from Docking towards Burnham Market just by the Spar shop and opposite the village pond. The goose flock was on the north side of this road about a mile east of the village.

Not seen the RB goose reported for a few days though

Paul

I'm planning a long weekend in Norfolk some time in January. In previous years I have seen twite reliably at Thornham Harbour, but this year I haven't picked up any mention of them. Does anyone local know if they are there this year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back