• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shiny cowbird? NJ (1 Viewer)

xyz99

United States
This looks like a shiny cowbird, but it's in Northern NJ, way out of range. Taken today.

Attachments

• IMG_7577-1.jpg
    IMG_7577-1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 36
Yes Niels, it was while they were feeding.

Common Grackles are a particularly mean bird.

I remember watching them destroy the unhatched eggs in a Mourning Dove's nest in a Silver Maple tree just off my deck a few years back. I'm not sure if a Cowbird's eggs would last very long in their nests.

Their own nests were in the Arbor Vitae around my lawn and they drove other birds out of it and took it over. The result was that we had an infliction of Common Grackles that year. The next year we had to remove a row of Arbor Vitae to have a drainage line repaired and they haven't returned in any big numbers since then.

Can't say I miss them much but I did get a some of great photos of the iridescence on a couple of them when the light was right.

Bob

Last edited:
I wonder what the explanation for that is?

Bob

They parasitize Common Grackles on occasion, though an internet search suggests it is not common. So the bird may have been raised by Grackles and "thinks it is one."

Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back