• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velvet Scoters off Whitley Bay? (1 Viewer)

JeanHB

Early on the morning of Sunday 28th June (slightly before 7am) I was walking towards Whitley Bay from the north when I saw 4 sea ducks of a type I didn't recognise swimming across the submerged causeway to St Mary's Island/Lighthouse, at the point where the water is disturbed by tidal flow in opposing directions. Similar size and head shape to eiders but very dark except for very thin lines of white across the back in the shape almost of a St Andrews Cross. Both my books gave velvet scoter as the most likely candidate but said the bird would look entirely black while swimming. Online search for images did find some swimming birds with narrow line of white wing edges showing, so I think they were Velvet Scoters.

Was anyone else lucky enough to see them and if so, is this a one off, or are they here quite regularly?

JeanHB

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hi there Jean and a warm welcome to you from across the pond :t:

Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Hi Jean and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back