• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

English spider ID please (1 Viewer)

colincurry

England
Saw this beast this morning and was reminded of Shelob.

Only underside view possible as it disappeared behind a bridge structure over a stream.

Thanks

Colin

IMG_5853 BF.jpg

IMG_5856 BF.jpg

It's a walnut orb weaver, Nuctenea umbratica. The bottom picture shows a dorsal view. Amongst other features, the stout leg spines should have dissuaded anyone from identifying it as a Steatoda

Limited research suggests that the Walnut has a distinctive flattened body enabling it to hide in crevices. Body does not appear flattened in either snap.

My knowledge of spiders is minimal.

Colin

Limited research suggests that the Walnut has a distinctive flattened body enabling it to hide in crevices. Body does not appear flattened in either snap.

My knowledge of spiders is minimal.

Colin

In the lower picture it looks distinctly flattened compared to other orb weavers of a similar size, e.g. garden spider, in my opinion. But a female full of eggs isn't going to be wafer thin.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back