• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpine 8X42 (1 Viewer)

dries1

I have been looking over an 8X42 Alpine and for the $$ it could be the best in the $200-$300 category. The build is as good as some at twice the price and the field of view while not the largest in the class at 7.5 degrees is very good. The mechanical operation is also consistent and stable.
Kudos to Leupold.

Andy W.

Interesting. I wonder if the same goes for the 10x52. We know that sometimes performance changes noticeably between binos within the same range. The 10x52 look intriguing to say the least. :)

Yarrellii

I picked up one (8X42) slightly used and it surprised me, first the build quality, then the optics; for the money it is hard to beat. I have seen the 10X52 and 12X52 on sale here in the US, and on the bay.
You are right of course on how the 10X52 would perform, the higher the magnification and aperture, the more difficult to make. I have seen that so often with other brands.

Andy W.

I have been looking over an 8X42 Alpine and for the $$ it could be the best in the $200-$300 category. The build is as good as some at twice the price and the field of view while not the largest in the class at 7.5 degrees is very good. The mechanical operation is also consistent and stable.
Kudos to Leupold.

Andy W.

I’ve been impressed with the BX4 line which is made in Japan. Do you know where the Alpines are made?

Upland,

Under a dark piece of plastic next to the serial # on the hinge plate, get ready for it......China.

Andy W.

Upland I am looking at the BX-4 in either 8X42 or 10X42, the Alpine has made me curious about the BX-4 model.
The best I have see price wise is $430 for the 10X and $450 or thereabouts for the 8X42.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back