• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope ED82 or Kowa TSN-664? (1 Viewer)

gjantzer

i am looking for a first spotting scope and have been reading around here for hours and hours. I have narrowed my search down to two in my price range. i need a scope that i can use at the rifle range to view tiny bullet holes at up to 600 yards as well as wildlife observation. Digiscoping is not currently a big hobby of mine but I like to do lots of things and want to leave that door open as well. My wife enjoys taking pictures so digiscoping may become a reality.

I have gathered that Nikon Fieldscopes and Kowa scopes are both highly regarded. However, I have not been able to find a direct comparison between the 82mm Nikon and the 66mm Kowa. Is the Kowa 66mm an equal to, or just riding the name of, the high end Kowa 82 and 84mm scopes. Stated another way: how does Nikon's top scope compare with Kowa's third or fourth from the top?

The zoom range of the Nikon seems like a plus for use at a rifle range. The smaller objective of the Kowa is not a concern for me. I was thinking about adding the Nikon ED50 to the ED82 in the future so I could use the eyepieces for two seperate scopes.

If my desired budget is $1000-$1200, am i better off with the Nikon or the Kowa for my desired uses? Thanks for all the help so far.

In any scenario except where weight is an issue, the Nikon ED82 by a considerable margin.

Hello, I agree the ED82 will do it better if compared with any 66mm scope of the range and, having compared mine a couple of times with some higher class 50mm and 65mm ones, I'd still say the same applies.

On one hand you have the physics telling you that a 82mm scope will let roughly 50% more light to get in, and that can make a huge difference, especially at dawn or sunset. On the other hand, as you may already have seen, Kowa and Nikon optics are absolutely comparable.

You may want to have a look at this for me very relevant "quest". It's from 2008, but the scopes tested then are still the ones you can find in these days:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/Page.aspx?pid=1039

Tiny bullet holes at 600 yards is a tall order for any spotter. The atmosphere won't allow you to do it 95% of the time. The 82ED is a great scope, but don't get your hopes up.

i am looking for a first spotting scope and have been reading around here for hours and hours. I have narrowed my search down to two in my price range. i need a scope that i can use at the rifle range to view tiny bullet holes at up to 600 yards as well as wildlife observation. Digiscoping is not currently a big hobby of mine but I like to do lots of things and want to leave that door open as well. My wife enjoys taking pictures so digiscoping may become a reality.

I have gathered that Nikon Fieldscopes and Kowa scopes are both highly regarded. However, I have not been able to find a direct comparison between the 82mm Nikon and the 66mm Kowa. Is the Kowa 66mm an equal to, or just riding the name of, the high end Kowa 82 and 84mm scopes. Stated another way: how does Nikon's top scope compare with Kowa's third or fourth from the top?

The zoom range of the Nikon seems like a plus for use at a rifle range. The smaller objective of the Kowa is not a concern for me. I was thinking about adding the Nikon ED50 to the ED82 in the future so I could use the eyepieces for two seperate scopes.

If my desired budget is $1000-$1200, am i better off with the Nikon or the Kowa for my desired uses? Thanks for all the help so far.
A good ED82 with the 25-75X zoom will do it, assuming atmospherics cooperate. The 75X magnification is surprisingly good. Here's another opinion.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/forum/index.php?topic=1853165.0

The 30X DS eyepiece (Nikon 6954) is the eyepiece to get for digiscoping. I use it 95% of the time.

I've had my ED82 for many years and it's never failed to deliver the image I want. I'll be using it to monitor an eagle's nest within the hour.

Good luck!
PS
The 25-75X eyepiece comes bundled. The 30X DS is optional...check Cameralndny if you want one. They may give you a deal.

A good ED82 with the 25-75X zoom will do it, assuming atmospherics cooperate. The 75X magnification is surprisingly good. Here's another opinion.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/forum/index.php?topic=1853165.0

The 30X DS eyepiece (Nikon 6954) is the eyepiece to get for digiscoping. I use it 95% of the time.

I've had my ED82 for many years and it's never failed to deliver the image I want. I'll be using it to monitor an eagle's nest within the hour.

Good luck!
PS
The 25-75X eyepiece comes bundled. The 30X DS is optional...check Cameralndny if you want one. They may give you a deal.

Thanks for posting that link, I never saw that one. It seems the 82ED took a spike up in price.

Tiny bullet holes at 600 yards is a tall order for any spotter. The atmosphere won't allow you to do it 95% of the time. The 82ED is a great scope, but don't get your hopes up.

Test by placing a target w/holes ~8-10yds away. If you can see the holes CLEARLY you will have a decent chance at 600yds on a cool day.

i can see them pretty good at 8 yards.....a little tough at 10 yards. but this is with standard paper targets in a fairly dark room. color changing targets i can easily see at 15 yards. If I am shooting at beyond 300 yards I will definitely be using color changing targets so hopefully i am good.

after reading some of the reviews of the ED82 it sounds like i will be very happy with the optical quality. There are some complaints about the eye relief and general ergonomics (stiffness of focus ring and a physically narrow ring) compared to its competitors. I think i am going to take a chance and roll with the ED82. I do not wear glasses (yet) so I am hoping the effects of the eye relief will be minimized. I also want the ED50 so combining eye pieces is a benefit as well.

after reading some of the reviews of the ED82 it sounds like i will be very happy with the optical quality. There are some complaints about the eye relief and general ergonomics (stiffness of focus ring and a physically narrow ring) compared to its competitors. I think i am going to take a chance and roll with the ED82. I do not wear glasses (yet) so I am hoping the effects of the eye relief will be minimized. I also want the ED50 so combining eye pieces is a benefit as well.

I've read some of those complaints about eye relief, but I have a ED82 and wear glasses and cannot complain at all.

Bottom line: if the Kowa is better, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure you'll be very satisfied with the ED82, as I am. It's sure a good choice.

I think you'll be happy with the ED82 also. I had one and it compared very favorably to my neighbor's Zeiss 85 T FL diascope. I couldn't tell much difference between the two except the Zeiss FOV is slightly better. The Kowa 884 I have now is noticeablly better than either one of those. Given that, "tiny" bullet holes @ 600 yards is a tall order, no matter the scope. Your only chance is with those "shoot n c" targets or the like.

Test by placing a target w/holes ~8-10yds away. If you can see the holes CLEARLY you will have a decent chance at 600yds on a cool day.

Gosh..If you cant see the holes, CLEARLY, at 8 yards with a spotting scope,your problem is not the scope..If You need to use the scope at 600 yards,test the thing at 60 yards and start making up your mind..Not even sure the ED80 can focus at 8 yards!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back